Which Female single skaters could switch to pairs or ice dance? | Golden Skate

Which Female single skaters could switch to pairs or ice dance?

naplesskater

Rinkside
Which current female skaters could move from single to pair and/or ice dance? In my opinion, for example, Christina Gao and Elene Gedevanavishvili

moriel

Record Breaker
Adelina Sotnikova
Not sure if she could, but would be incredible epic, as she is doing so great in Dance with the Stars

andromache

Record Breaker
If Anna P. struggles to stay among the top ladies in Russia after this upcoming season, I'd like to see her switch to pairs so I can see her continue to grow and develop as a skater. I think she has enormous potential to improve her sophistication on the ice, and it'd be a shame to see her career cut short by the depth of the field in Russia.

Pairs skating is being pushed technically, and it might help Russian pairs skating in the long run to recruit some of their "weaker" single ladies for pairs. Then again, I assume most of the strongest pairs teams start pairs in their early teens so I don't really know how feasible it is for 16-18 year old ladies to switch disciplines and see a lot of international success. I enjoyed Valentina Marchei as a singles skater, but it turns out I wish she had switched to pairs years ago. :laugh:

hanca

Record Breaker
If Anna P. struggles to stay among the top ladies in Russia after this upcoming season, I'd like to see her switch to pairs so I can see her continue to grow and develop as a skater. I think she has enormous potential to improve her sophistication on the ice, and it'd be a shame to see her career cut short by the depth of the field in Russia.

Pairs skating is being pushed technically, and it might help Russian pairs skating in the long run to recruit some of their "weaker" single ladies for pairs. Then again, I assume most of the strongest pairs teams start pairs in their early teens so I don't really know how feasible it is for 16-18 year old ladies to switch disciplines and see a lot of international success. I enjoyed Valentina Marchei as a singles skater, but it turns out I wish she had switched to pairs years ago. :laugh:
I think Pogorilaya may be a bit too tall for pairs. Besides, there is too many Russian senior pairs, so it would be a stupid move for her.

I don't think you can transfer Marchei situation to Russia. If Italy had as strong competition in pairs as Russia has, Marchei/Hotarek would never get to Euros/worlds this season. They would be buried under many better pairs, which means that next season they wouldn't have enough points, As a result would not get GP event and their raise would be much slower and took much longer.

Last edited:

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I don't know if this is a 'switch,' exactly, but Emily Chan, 2015 US Ladies Novice champion, has skated and competed pairs. Depending on how her future career goes, pairs might be a great long term option for her.

humbaba

Final Flight
I've been wondering if Amy Lin might eventually switch to ice dance. She finished fifth in Junior Ladies at US nationals this year. She was very dynamic, expressive and musical and so committed to her performance. IIRC, her web site said she had passed her gold level ice dance test. I think Amy is in line for some ladies JGP assignments this year, so I hope to see her more often. Would love to see her as an ice dancer too, because she moves so well.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
ITA I think Anna P is too tall and usually you need more time together as pairs or dance. Dance is very different too - you need great skating skills, edging for men Patrick Chan might do well but then again he probably isn't strong enough to carry the girl. Satoko would be a good choice for pairs probably with her size and the throws would help her get height as long as she doesn't grow too much. Julia might be a good choice too. radinova if she stops growing. Maybe Karen Chen but for dance it would be harder. None of the skaters have the skating skills of Mao, Yuna or even Carolina for dance.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^ I think Patrick is strong enough to lift a lady in dance, but he is not tall enough. Most ice dan ladies are as tall as him.

cristina

Rinkside
Hehe, Anna P is really veery tall for pairs skating and she doesn't seem very "dancing"-style of girl. Tall girls can do well, as we can see with Valentina Marchei but problems stay -if to remember their lift at Worlds. Satoko would be great for pairs but she doesn't show absolutely no wish for it LOL.
Many other russian lady skater would consider dances - Nikol Gosviani, Maria Artemieva, Maria Stavitskaya - but Russia doesn't seem to need dance couples too that much.

KIG

Rinkside
Hehe, Anna P is really veery tall for pairs skating and she doesn't seem very "dancing"-style of girl. Tall girls can do well, as we can see with Valentina Marchei but problems stay -if to remember their lift at Worlds. Satoko would be great for pairs but she doesn't show absolutely no wish for it LOL.
Many other russian lady skater would consider dances - Nikol Gosviani, Maria Artemieva, Maria Stavitskaya - but Russia doesn't seem to need dance couples too that much.

Maria Stavitskaya is already in ice dance

Meoima

Match Penalty
Anna has stiff knees... Even though she has good speed. If she switched to ice dance, she need major improvement in posture and knee bend.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
As much as I love Proklova as a single skater, I think she would be an amazing pairs skater. She is not tall, is flexible. Also knowing that current young Russian pairs do not have girls who jump well (Fedorova, Vigalova)...

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I'd like for Mao Asada and Jeffrey Buttle to team up. They can do either dance or pairs. Heck, do both! :p