2023-24 Federation Cup Final | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Federation Cup Final

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I also wonder how much is skewed by the fame of Midori Ito and Japan. They're very proud of their 3A technique over there. Why work on quads when it isn't needed to win medals and you've already got a very good 3A technique working for the country?
Technique is not country-dependent but coach-dependent and skater-dependent - Ikura Kushida and Rion Sumiyoshi are both Japanese, but their Axel technique is terrible.

And technique alone is not enough to get any multi-rotational jump - There are few skaters with Axels like Kaori, but she's not getting a 3A ever.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
adult skating is growing in popularity a lot
awww that's so nice!
Just watch. The Russians will overtake the USA adult skating population size, start winning everything, and people in USA will complain it's "not fair". ugh...
Adult skating is also huge here and same as you @Arwen17 I am so happy to hear it's growing in Russia. Bring it on! I'd love to compete with a Russian adult skater who makes me crazy by her insane skills and makes me practice even harder. :ROFLMAO:

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
What is this data? And how much is influenced by people thinking "women shouldn't do quads" so only triple axel is worked on seriously?
Even skaters who only ever attempted quads (Sasha Cohen, Miki Ando, Surya Bonaly) and did not train the 3A didn't manage the quad as adults (or honestly as teens either).

Retired male skaters of different generations are also often able to keep their 3As long into their 30s, while they often stop attempting quads (with the exception of skaters who never managed to be friendly with the 3A in the first place, like Lambiel).

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Too good. Great performance. Can't wait to see her up against Petrosian.
That will be interesting to watch. Adelia Petrasian is my current favorite skater who is active in competitions (Kami is eternally my over all favorite skater) and seeing great competitors makes the competitions even more exciting to watch.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Even skaters who only ever attempted quads (Sasha Cohen, Miki Ando, Surya Bonaly) and did not train the 3A didn't manage the quad as adults (or honestly as teens either).

Retired male skaters of different generations are also often able to keep their 3As long into their 30s, while they often stop attempting quads (with the exception of skaters who never managed to be friendly with the 3A in the first place, like Lambiel).

Sasha and Surya were landing them as senior skaters. They just didn't work out in competition because of consistency issues. But they did them in practice many times. Similar to how Trusova did 3A in practice many times, but never successfully landed it in competition.

Didn't plushenko still do 4T for a long time? I have a vague memory of him doing quads instead of 3A as an older adult.

You're looking at skaters who come from a time when quads were still a struggle. We've entered a new era. Yuzu is still doing quads and he's retired.

Skating91

Medalist
That was so satisfying to watch. Great event. This is all I want to watch, not jump tournament, Channel 1 Cup, show tournament which ends up being 4 hours with half of it nonsense.

The season really is over now. I'll watch the world championships and hope Kaori takes it out.

katymay

Medalist
That was so satisfying to watch. Great event. This is all I want to watch, not jump tournament, Channel 1 Cup, show tournament which ends up being 4 hours with half of it nonsense.

The season really is over now. I'll watch the world championships and hope Kaori takes it out.
Still the Novice championships? lol. I loved the jumping tournament this year, but a big meh to the show tournament.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel

It was such an impressive event. Again, the quality and beauty that were shown are absent even in the most prestigious senior competitions outside of Russia. It's a whole different level, like watching a film in 1080 and then watching a film in 4K.

The world championships are in a time zone that makes the schedule for me in the middle of my sleeping time so I will indeed not disturb my sleep to wake up and watch.
I will seek later online videos of my country's skater, who I hope has a great skate, and of the 3 Japanese ladies, who I also hope do great. Unless Kaori has a bad day/bad skate and makes devastating mistakes, does she even have any competitor at all to win another title. Answer is no, in my humble opinion.
See you all later <3