2023-24 Russian Challenge | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Russian Challenge

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
One can not make that argument at all about a man born in Ukraine who specifically called himself Ukranian.

I think Malevich participated in the cultural life of Russia (even if he wasn’t Russian). At the same time he can belong to Ukranian and Polish cultures too. Nikolai Gogol is one more great person who unites Ukranian and Russian cultures. It is natural that people of different nationalities can live in one country, it is natural that even greatparents of one person can belong to different nations.
I think trying to break such connections is as senseless as trying to stop rivers.
It is natural that life unites people of different nations.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Domnina/Kostomarov - I know this wasn't officially part of the show and they skated this number elsewhere. I was curious if anyone knows is this something they wrote or is it a poem? I didn't understand why, when Domnina is saying "I heard your voice" it's in masculine and "you waited for me" it's in feminine so I assume this is a poem and they didn't change gender to match the speaker? I also couldn't find the music if anyone knows it

I’d say it is proposed the text is kind of a message from Roman which his wife got when he was fighting for his life. I think the voice is feminine in the beginning because they want to show that Roman wasn’t able to talk at that moment. When his life is saved, when he is able to talk again, the feminine voice is replaced by Roman’s real voice.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Can we not start a political debate here? In those times there was no state of Ukraine, there was the Russian Empire. And Malevich is recorded in the baptismal books of the church as the son of a Polish nobleman and a Polish woman, subjects of the Russian Empire. Later he was a citizen of the Soviet Union with the appropriate passport.
The rest - your free fantasies on the subject, which are completely irrelevant.
Its not political at all, thats a cop out; its respect about what a man said about himself no matter what it is.

But thanks for enlightening me, I'll go tell my immigrant friends that they arent real Canadians and anything other than their birth certificate is irrelevant.

katymay

Medalist
This show was so dull for me compared to what it was like last year. LOVED so many programs last year and still rewatch them. This year's "theme" did them no favors. And maybe Eteri foresaw it wouldn't be as interesting.

Just feels like this theme was chosen because of the war and maybe trying to remind people why they should be proud to be Russian?
I guess nice for a domestic audience, but really boring for the rest of us.

Only good thing is it forced Tuktamysheva to do a classy program instead of a trashy program lol

I didn't hate any of the women's programs, but they were all just kinda "meh" for me.
Agree. I had it on mostly for the music-Frolova and Ksenia were lovely, but the entire event was too long and 'meh'. What I would have liked instead? Go through the year in skating, pick out the best artistic programs despite age or level and invite them to skate these programs one last time. For example Yametova's sp, Sonya's (novice girl who skates like a little fairy) FS, Katya's Carmen etc. The programs which lacked the tech level of the others, but still made us smile.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Its not political at all, thats a cop out; its respect about what a man said about himself no matter what it is.

But thanks for enlightening me, I'll go tell my immigrant friends that they arent real Canadians and anything other than their birth certificate is irrelevant.

I don’t mean to say that Wikipedia is the most reliable resourse, but this is what Wikipedia says about Malevich:

“The family preserved Polish traditions, at home they spoke Polish[18] (in the children’s names the emphasis was placed not on the penultimate syllable, as is customary in the Polish language, but in a Russified manner - Mechislav, Kazimir[20]), they spoke Ukrainian to their friends (to people they knew) [19]; Subsequently, Malevich wrote a number of articles about art in Ukrainian[21]. Some of Malevich’s contemporaries considered him a Pole[22], while Kazimir himself in the 1920s[23] in some questionnaires that had a “nationality” column, wrote about himself as “Ukrainian”[18] and even tried to persuade his relatives to do the same, some of them were shocked by that[21]. However, in 1927, while in Berlin[24] after a visit to Warsaw and communication with the Polish Malevichs, Kazimir applied for a French visa and indicated his nationality as “Pole”[25]. In the end, they didn’t give him a visa[24]. In general, Kazimir Malevich called himself a Ukrainian quite often[26], and therefore it is quite natural that in “Chapters from the Artist’s Autobiography”, written shortly before his death, he remembered himself and his best friend of the Kursk period, Lev Kvachevsky (a native of Minsk[27 ]) in the words:
“We were both Ukrainians.”[21]
Also, some sources find Belarusian roots of the artist’s father[28][29], in particular, Kazimir’s great-nephew Igor Malevich comes to this conclusion based on personal childhood memories and the partially preserved archive of his father[24].”

The text in Wikipedia starts with the words “Russian, Ukrainian and Soviet avant-garde artist of Polish origin”. Who denies that Malevich belongs to Ukrainian culture too?

Trying to separate one nationality from other nationalities is senseless. Nations are mixed and cultures are mixed.

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Unfortunately they didn't list the choreographers like last year

The ones I know/was able to find

Elizaveta Pasechnik/Dario Cirisano - Anjelika Krylova
Makar Ignatov - Nikita Mikhailov
Elizaveta Shanaeva/Pavel Drozd - Alexander Zhulin
Ksenia Sinitsyna - Maria Kasumova
Vasilisa Kaganovskaia/Maksim Nekrasov - Anjelika Krylova, Alexei Gorshkov, Alena Samarskaia
Petr Gumennik - Nikolai Moroshkin
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin - Alexander Zhulin
Sofia Muravieva - Nikita Mikhailov
Evgeni Semenenko - Nikita Mikhailov and Elizaveta Navislavskaia
Andrei Mozalev - Betina Popova
Varvara Zhdanova/Timur Babaev-Smirnov - Ksenia Rumyantseva
Anna Frolova - Valentin Molotov and Olga Glinka
Daniil Samsonov - Ekaterina Bobrova, Andrei Deputat
Aleksandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin - Alexander Zhulin
Dmitri Aliev - Ilya Averbukh
Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov - Ilya Averbukh
Mikhail and Daria Kolyada - Tatiana Prokofieva
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Elizaveta Navislavskaia, Artem Fedorchenko
Oksana Domnina/Maksim Shabalin - Ilya Averbukh
Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov - Maxim Trankov, Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov
Mark Kondratiuk - Ilya Averbukh
Viktoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov - Alexander Zhulin
Evgenia Medvedeva - Ilya Averbukh
Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov - Irina Zhuk, Alexander Svinin
Alexei Yagudin - Ilya Averbukh

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Daniil Samsonov interview: Since Andrei Mozalev was also participating in Russian Challenge, he came to Daniil Gleikhengauz a week before the end of submission of applications and asked if they would be choreographing programs for the show programs competition. Daniil Markovich replied that this year they didn't want to take part in the programs because they wanted to concentrate on Eteri Tutberidze show tour and make a lot of new exhibitions. He said that if we wanted to, we could apply, but we had to find the choreographers ourselves.

I think the mystery about the reasons for the absence of, for example, Adeliia has been solved.

Cherub721

On the Ice
Quite an interesting interview. Some new info. Danya said that it was allowed to submit several ideas because duplicates are rejected.

https://sport24.ru/figureskating/ar...u-programm-russkiy-vyzov-kubke-pervogo-kanala

I was thinking about that... you couldn't have everyone skating to Kalinka.

I will definitely be looking out for more of Kasumova's work in the future... wow! Looks like most of my other favorites here were from Averbukh... no surprise.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mozalev's skill killed everyone who skated before him, and most everyone who skated after. It is incomparable in terms of the level of skill in gliding, choreography, and immersion in the image. He looks like a major league player. I think he'll need to think about his own ice theater eventually.

This is what it looked like live from the second row fan seat. Yes, I traveled to St. Petersburg for this event and I`m very happy.

Skill, yes, and it looked nice until Bezrukov commented on what can be changed to make it superb. What he lacked was a wow/so what factor in his presentation that fills the poem. As a writer, this is the piece of critique we live for, when someone can like what they see and advise on what to edit to hit the bullseye. It's incredibly, incredibly valuable.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Agree. I had it on mostly for the music-Frolova and Ksenia were lovely, but the entire event was too long and 'meh'. What I would have liked instead? Go through the year in skating, pick out the best artistic programs despite age or level and invite them to skate these programs one last time. For example Yametova's sp, Sonya's (novice girl who skates like a little fairy) FS, Katya's Carmen etc. The programs which lacked the tech level of the others, but still made us smile.
I just don't think doing a gala, and adding points to it by some rando is working. I mean, i have no idea who those people are and what they have to do with FS. Compared to the other two novelty competitions, the jumping tournament and the team cup, this was just as much of a yawnfest as last year. I dunno if they can change it, or if they can just go with a Woman's Day Gala or a Russian Season Grand Finale. Or do some sort of fan battles during the season...though it's pointless, because the big teams would totally suppress everyone else.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Unfortunately they didn't list the choreographers like last year

The ones I know/was able to find

Elizaveta Pasechnik/Dario Cirisano - Anjelika Krylova
Makar Ignatov - Nikita Mikhailov
Elizaveta Shanaeva/Pavel Drozd - Alexander Zhulin
Vasilisa Kaganovskaia/Maksim Nekrasov - Anjelika Krylova, Alexei Gorshkov, Alena Samarskaia
Petr Gumennik - Nikolai Moroshkin
Elizaveta Khudaiberdieva/Egor Bazin - Alexander Zhulin
Sofia Muravieva - Nikita Mikhailov
Evgeni Semenenko - Nikita Mikhailov and Elizaveta Navislavskaia
Andrei Mozalev - Betina Popova
Varvara Zhdanova/Timur Babaev-Smirnov - Ksenia Rumyantseva
Anna Frolova - Valentin Molotov and Olga Glinka
Daniil Samsonov - Ekaterina Bobrova, Andrei Deputat
Aleksandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin - Alexander Zhulin
Dmitri Aliev - Ilya Averbukh
Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov - Ilya Averbukh
Mikhail and Daria Kolyada - Tatiana Prokofieva
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Elizaveta Navislavskaia
Oksana Domnina/Maksim Shabalin - Ilya Averbukh
Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov - Maxim Trankov, Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov
Mark Kondratiuk - Ilya Averbukh
Viktoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov - Alexander Zhulin
Evgenia Medvedeva - Ilya Averbukh
Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov - Irina Zhuk, Alexander Svinin
Alexei Yagudin - Ilya Averbukh
Everyone is added but Savosin. Probably it was Murashov, but I'm not sure.