2024 Channel One Cup | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2024 Channel One Cup

Arwen17

Final Flight
Cringe.

Although watching regular fans try to lace up their skates may probably entertaining for you. Although I'm pretty sure that Team White girl skates herself.

oh lord, well if they looked like public skaters, yeah that is awful! I'd rather they get a fan who actually skates, like me. :ROFLMAO: But maybe that is considered "boring" because I can skate, but can't do anything above an under-rotated axel or under-rotated double sal. So nobody would find that interesting, just dull. Whereas I guess if its a public skater, you're supposed to laugh at them because they can't do anything?

I will watch and give my review later. 🤣

Finally got a chance to go back and watch the captains challenge and fans challenge today.
Yes, captain's challenge was fun and even better that Anna S. replaced Anna S.

Fan challenge.....
how did they select the fans? Was it a random lottery draw? Did they just randomly grab someone from the audience?
I was sort of OK with the charades thing? and the questions thing, but since I don't understand Russian, maybe I wouldn't have liked it if I did understand what was being said.
But the lacing up skates thing was totally dumb! Have them put the skates on and try to complete some challenge at least! Are they just afraid of someone hitting their head and getting injured? I would pick fans that had at least some skating experience instead of a total random noob.
Pick out your "random" fans ahead of time by testing their ice skills. Like just look at their basic stroking etc and decide if they're not too talented but also not too weak to do the challenge.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
No Russian skater is screwed more by what's going on than Adeliia Petrosyan.
Kamila is the poster girl, the old garde lives off their reputation made in international competitions, Adeliia's peaking right now and is an amazing skater who would be age eligible for senior worlds and likely become world champion - and her coaches' methods and training is likely not meant to pace her slowly or give her a shot when she's in her 20s so if Russia gets unbanned in the future or if she should be able to switch after a quarantine that has a good chance to be too late. And for domestic tv she has to compete against a 12 year old who is able to overshine her in TES. The younger skaters can pace themselves more if they want to or try to switch countries or give up skating and do something else. Semenenko would never be world champion or GPF winner even if he was allowed to take part. M/G at least got their moments already. But Adeliia? Everything worked out for her and then it didn't.
I agree but she still has a chance at OGM and ultimately that means more than whatever world titles she missed out on. The world en masse only cares about the OGM. I know its unfair for her still but its not like her career is unequivocally ruined to any huge degree (thankfully).

Mathematician

Medalist
I thought they low balled Margarita quite a lot relative to Adelia given Adelia's skating is quite junior-ish still, and it was a far from clean program from Adelia.
I dont recall paying attention to the consistency of scoring cause it didnt really matter at an event like this. Rita is skating by junior rules so its hard to compare.

Adeliia didnt have a good skate that day but calling her juniorish is crazy. Maybe her jumps could be considered juniorish but there isnt one junior in history outside of Anna, Kamila or Akateva who had her level of kinaesthetic and choreographical refinement. I dont even remember if Anna was that refined as a junior (I dont think she was). Adeliia's spins are also extremely impressive second only to Valieva. When shes on she doesnt put a single finger out of place and every transition flows like water. She is a shockingly mature artist for her age, not juniorish at all.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
No Russian skater is screwed more by what's going on than Adeliia Petrosyan.
Kamila is the poster girl, the old garde lives off their reputation made in international competitions, Adeliia's peaking right now and is an amazing skater who would be age eligible for senior worlds and likely become world champion - and her coaches' methods and training is likely not meant to pace her slowly or give her a shot when she's in her 20s so if Russia gets unbanned in the future or if she should be able to switch after a quarantine that has a good chance to be too late. And for domestic tv she has to compete against a 12 year old who is able to overshine her in TES. The younger skaters can pace themselves more if they want to or try to switch countries or give up skating and do something else. Semenenko would never be world champion or GPF winner even if he was allowed to take part. M/G at least got their moments already. But Adeliia? Everything worked out for her and then it didn't.
Because should have skated for Armenia from the get go.

Murav'eva and Gumennik are also hard done by current situation, as well as M/G and B/K

Amei

Record Breaker
Because should have skated for Armenia from the get go.

That's her and her parents fault and its not like they didn't know that Russia had great depth of skaters when she was a novice, maybe they financially could not/cannot afford to cover her training long term which they would have needed to do skating for Armenia. At this point they've locked her into Russia, I highly doubt Russia would release a national champion to skate for another country.

Mathematician

Medalist
It would probably cause too much tension in her life to train in Russia with Russian coaches and athletes under the Russain system then go compete for another country.

Im not saying this disposition is right or wrong, but its simply a fact of any country where the sport in question is so highly esteemed.

I personally wouldnt go through that for a world medal that gets forgotten in the face of OGM which is what want anyways.

And obviously if she had a different coaching staff from the beginning she would not be who she is.

Skating91

Medalist
It would probably cause too much tension in her life to train in Russia with Russian coaches and athletes under the Russain system then go compete for another country.

Im not saying this disposition is right or wrong, but its simply a fact of any country where the sport in question is so highly esteemed.

I personally wouldnt go through that for a world medal that gets forgotten in the face of OGM which is what want anyways.

And obviously if she had a different coaching staff from the beginning she would not be who she is.
Adelia or her parents weren't to know she would be banned from the sport due to politics outside of her control. This was unprecedented.

Adelia's parents were correct to stay in Russia. She's clearly the best senior in Russia right now therefore she is the best senior in the world. Therefore their decision to compete for Russia was correct.

I don't really understand the argument they are making. She was supposed to have predicted the future? And what kind of support would she get in Armenia in terms of coaching, facilities and funding? Would she be able to make money from shows?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That's her and her parents fault and its not like they didn't know that Russia had great depth of skaters when she was a novice, maybe they financially could not/cannot afford to cover her training long term which they would have needed to do skating for Armenia. At this point they've locked her into Russia, I highly doubt Russia would release a national champion to skate for another country.
Hence from the get go, or at least when she disappeared for a short while. Really short-sighted on their part, mismanaging her career with some crazy lack of acumen. Could have been a gathering accolades for years now instead of being a nobody with a local title.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't really understand the argument they are making. She was supposed to have predicted the future? And what kind of support would she get in Armenia in terms of coaching, facilities and funding? Would she be able to make money from shows?
Her earnings would have come from 100% access to all international competitions, shows and Armenian diaspora if she was placing well or even winning. Far better than to rely on fickle and despotic RusFed. Her parents miscalculated a big time, pure and simple. Tutberidze sent her own daughter out despite being more than able to buy her National title with current state of dance in Russia. Petrosyan's parents are frankly...not clever.

Last edited:

Mathematician

Medalist
Her earnings would have come from 100% access to all international competitions, shows and Armenian diaspora if she was placing well or even winning. Far better than to rely on fickle and despotic RusFed. Her parents miscalculated a big time, pure and simple. Tutberidze sent her own daughter out despite being more than able to buy her National title with current state of dance in Russia. Petrosyan's parents are frankly...not clever.
But its a different discipline. Would Petrosian be as good as she is outside of Eteri's camp? I just dont see it.

Skatelife

On the Ice
But its a different discipline. Would Petrosian be as good as she is outside of Eteri's camp? I just dont see it.
Actually when she was still a junior without ultra C, in this forum where many comments wondering what had Eteri seen on her to be part of the team?
I don't think is to easy to find the proper training conditions and the right couch outside of Russia if you don't have the economic resources

Mathematician

Medalist
Huh? Russian coaches train plenty other skaters for other countries and in the end of the day, it's up to the athlete to go on ice and compete, not the coach.
What do you mean? So she could live and train in Moscow with Eteri but compete for Armenia? Again it would cause too much tension to be worth it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
What do you mean? So she could live and train in Moscow with Eteri but compete for Armenia? Again it would cause too much tension to be worth it.
Like Tursynbaeva didn't? Or Kvitelashvili or Egadze? Seriously, you are just trying to justify poor decision making with some invented obstacles that weren't there.

Amei

Record Breaker
Hence from the get go, or at least when she disappeared for a short while. Really short-sighted on their part, mismanaging her career with some crazy lack of acumen. Could have been a gathering accolades for years now instead of being a nobody with a local title.

Hence why I mentioned maybe they couldn't afford it. I don't know what Armenia pays its skaters but once you get on the national team Russia covers just about everything (within reason, I know when Evgenia moved to Canada the Fed said she was getting the same amount as everyone else, any additional cost was on her). Granted had they known then that right before she was going to turn senior that Russia would be banned, maybe they would have tried to stretch it.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hence why I mentioned maybe they couldn't afford it. I don't know what Armenia pays its skaters but once you get on the national team Russia covers just about everything (within reason, I know when Evgenia moved to Canada the Fed said she was getting the same amount as everyone else, any additional cost was on her). Granted had they known then that right before she was going to turn senior that Russia would be banned, maybe they would have tried to stretch it.
Eh, Russian national team doesn't last long as a source of funding.

Mathematician

Medalist
Like Tursynbaeva didn't? Or Kvitelashvili or Egadze? Seriously, you are just trying to justify poor decision making with some invented obstacles that weren't there.
But theyre actually natives of those countries. They have the last names and live there.

Im not justifying anything... If anything Petrosian being my favourite I would have been glad to see her humble all of the coping internationals? I just imagine myself in her situation and can honestly say I'd rather not deal with the complexity and stress of the situation.