2023-24 Federation Cup Final | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Federation Cup Final

Arwen17

Final Flight
That has nothing to do with whether everyone who can do a 3A is also capable of a quad (nor the other way around) - Even among men, there are many who can only do either a quad or a 3A, or are clearly much more comfortable with one of the options.

I'm not saying a quad is impossible post-puberty for a woman, but just that it seems to be a lot harder than a 3A - Just like we've only seen 2 men land a 4A.
That's not a good comparison. 4A is like a 5T or 5S. 4A is nothing like the other quads.
But because 4A is possible, that also means 5T and 5S is possible.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Yes, I skate. I think it depends? Some skaters are really good at axel and others love their salchows or toe loops. Some skaters get their triple sal or triple toe before they get their double axel.
Yes, exactly, some skaters are better at the Axel than at the Sal or Toe, and those that have a (stable) 3A are exactly those skaters - So you implying that anyone who can do a 3A is also capable of a 4S or 4T because they have the same amount of rotation doesn't make much sense, no?

What's so special about 3A that it is easier than 4S or 4T? when 3T or 3S sometimes happen before 2A.
I can't tell you what's special about it, I can only tell you what the data shows.

Arwen17

Final Flight
axel, salchow, toe loop are essentially the same jump. It's just a question of what entrances the skater likes best. (so 1A, 2S, 2T is one group. Axel should always be grouped with the S and T above it.)

Loop, flip, lutz are essentially the same jump too. Same thing on the different entrances.

If you can do one in the group, you can probably do the others, rotation-wise, if the different take-off entrance doesn't bother you too much.

Mathematician

Pilgrim on a long journey
Medalist
Just barely made it in time for the last 3

Prineva probably not making podium which is most unfortunate

I'm ready to support Dvoeglazova here big time for the gold

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
We will learn about the impact of the ban in a few generations.
:ot:
Not only the ban, though.

At the moment, the official statistics are that there are no fewer girls starting doing FS, but there are much fewer boys, they are choosing another things. And surprisingly, adult skating is growing in popularity a lot (considering the price of skates, I find that surprising). Although Russia is now trying to produce its own skates (they are not suitable for elite skaters, but for adult skating, probably yes).

Arwen17

Final Flight
Yes, exactly, some skaters are better at the Axel than at the Sal or Toe, and those that have a (stable) 3A are exactly those skaters - So you implying that anyone who can do a 3A is also capable of a 4S or 4T because they have the same amount of rotation doesn't make much sense, no?

I can't tell you what's special about it, I can only tell you what the data shows.

What is this data? And how much is influenced by people thinking "women shouldn't do quads" so only triple axel is worked on seriously?
That used to be a very old standard. You don't get to move on until you've mastered axel because you're "not allowed" to learn jumps "out of order".

I also wonder how much is skewed by the fame of Midori Ito and Japan. They're very proud of their 3A technique over there. Why work on quads when it isn't needed to win medals and you've already got a very good 3A technique working for the country?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
That's not a good comparison. 4A is like a 5T or 5S. 4A is nothing like the other quads.
But because 4A is possible, that also means 5T and 5S is possible.
Except that I'm not equating the difficulty of a quad for a grown woman with a 4A for men, just equating how rare they both seem to be.

The reality is, going through puberty helps most men when it comes to jumps, but for women, it's a very different story. The reasons for that are varied, and while some of them will certainly not be actual physical barriers, we actually don't really know how many of them are either.