2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me why Ross' 3A was judged to be UR? I've watched the video 3 times and fail to see the underroation???

I was surprised by the UR as well, but looking at it again, it did seem that there was a hooked landing, which is an indicator of a UR.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I was under the impression that Wakababy was a nickname that she embraces herself?
But sometimes I see posts on GS that give other skaters nicknames that are not my cup of tea (although I suppose that they are intended to be affectionate). That is why nicknames that do not arise organically or do not originate from the skater her-/himself seem unnecessary to me. YMMV.

I have no idea if she embraces it but I would be happy if she did. To be honest this is a name that starts to push my boundaries. Yes it is cute, but I also know that some people would not appreciate the "baby" portion of it, and i would want to respect that if it was the case for this individual. If I were her agent, I likely would encourage her to embrace it, but if she hates it, I would rather not use it. I do agree that organic nick names are better. Rarely are things forced good, I would rather let things evolve naturally, but be tempered with good taste.

And I do not share the inclination to impose a unique nickname on someone as if it were a type of "honor."
Charlie is a super-common name, but World and Olympic champion Charlie White has never had a unique nickname, AFAIK.
If anything, I would say that we on GS "honor" Charlie White by simply calling him by his own first name. He is so well-liked and respected that "Charlie" by itself is generally understood to mean Charlie White (unless the context clearly indicates otherwise).
Why Charlie does not have a nickname is anyone's guess. Who knows. Id likely enjoy it if he did. Although "Charlie" is actually already a diminutive and type of nickname for Charles, so in someways we are just using his nickname, just one he embraces. By calling him Charlie rather than Charles we are already in a more affectionate naming convention.

(As for Vivian, I had not noticed references to her on GS as Viv, and I do keep an eye out for stuff about her. Anyway, her Instagram account is viviskates, so perhaps another nickname is more familiar to her and her friends in real life.)

If Vivian prefers Vivi to Viv, that is fine and the type of thing I would embrace. The are both affectionate variations and if she likes one over the other, than that just makes it a more attractive nickname to me.

And you are right that there are times it is better to use full names to be respectful. When i do my predictions for the grand prix, I always copy and paste full names as it feels better in that instance. If it is only a brief mention dealing more with facts, i prefer the full/real name. But if i am writing paragraphs about a skater, I do like having a nickname to shift to as the tone gets more casual.

While we are on the subject. How do you feel about people shortening your name to just golden as opposed to golden411? Given your proclivity for proper names, I always try to cite you as your full name out of respect, but I am sure I have messed up on occasion. Also, if i ever call you goldeninformation by accident, please forgive me... I always have to correct myself on that one. While it is easier to just type golden, and is my natural instinct, i would rather keep the 411 there if you would prefer it.

EDIT: and in case anyone is wondering, feel free to call me Stitch, StitchMonkey, or Monkey, I don't care have fun knock yourselves out :biggrin:

Last edited:

lmarie086

Medalist
If it's possible, could someone post a video of Hubbell/Donohue's performance after their skate? I haven't decided yet if I want to pay for an Icenetwork subscription when it sounds like their video quality is still hit-or-miss a lot of the time.

Is the second group on the ice yet?

Country
Russia
I was surprised by the UR as well, but looking at it again, it did seem that there was a hooked landing, which is an indicator of a UR.
See moment of take-off. I believe there was extra prerotation at take-off.

And I know that technical panel sometimes treats UR as normal jump, but never treats normal as URed.

charmblade

Final Flight
^^^ Yep, Australian couple just finished. Anyone else watching??

Pike/Adderly seemed a bit stiff and tentative throughout.

caitie

Medalist
OMG NO. Zach fell!!! It was so beautiful until then!!! :(

ETA: Fuuuuudgemonkeys, ugh. It was at the very end, too. At least it happened here and not Skate Canada (like last year, I mean)?? Ugh they are totally going to get passed by their bb training mates, now...

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I like "Charlie" this nickname very much, because it pronunciation is a bit similar to "Charming". lots of love here:love::eek::
I like "GG" as a nickname for Gracie as well, But I will just type "Gracie", since, it is a little bit "girly" to me.(that does not mean that her skating style is girly though).
If people refer me as "yyy" or "yy"(this one has a special meaning in Chinese, if you know what I mean;)), I like them all.

charmblade

Final Flight
Gah!!! I look away for one second and they fell! What happened?

Madison and Zach are really a step above everyone else so far in terms of elegance and maturity. This is a beautiful program, although it's not very waltz-y (not necessarily a bad thing, but I would like to see this as their free dance instead).

At least he's laughing at it in the K&C, although it's a bit of an ashamed/annoyed laugh.

Last edited:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, what a lovely program from H/D! First time I've really loved one of their programs. *Such* a shame about the double fall. Everything was going well up until then! Also mega bonus points for the first waltz/march cut that didn't sound like an ipod on shuffle... Okay, that's a big harsh, but I hardly even noticed the cut which was fantastic.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Detailed schedules with individual START TIMES for each entry, thanks to TanithAndBenFan:

Ladies SP
https://twitter.com/LadyWave4/status/644913660544991232

Pairs FS
https://twitter.com/LadyWave4/status/644913725447667712

Men's FS
https://twitter.com/LadyWave4/status/644913864283295744

... While we are on the subject. How do you feel about people shortening your name to just golden as opposed to golden411? Given your proclivity for proper names, I always try to cite you as your full name out of respect[, but I am sure I have messed up on occasion. Also, if i ever call you goldeninformation by accident, please forgive me... I always have to correct myself on that one. While it is easier to just type golden, and is my natural instinct, i would rather keep the 411 there if you would prefer it.

"golden" is definitely fine by me :). No preference.

Meanwhile, I have been calling you Stitch for a long time now ... b/c I am lazy :hopelessness:. If you prefer StitchMonkey, please tell me.

[I also use MM for Mathman; CL_fan; etc., etc. .... b/c I am lazy. But I will stop abbreviating if anyone objects.)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
since, I dont have Live stream, I am talking about nicknames, while other fans are talking about competitions here:laugh2: lol. :hijacked:

samson

Medalist
Well 61.08 is still a decent early season score with a fall. I don't have a subscription just yet to icenetwork, was the fall on an element?

charmblade

Final Flight
Beautiful lift from P/O. Nice program, but I could have done without the vocals. Also, is everyone doing the traditional waltz with the military officer at a ball theme?