2015-16 Grand Prix Final Mens SP | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix Final Mens SP

andromache

Record Breaker
Oh pls. Chan deserved a high PCS with his performance and earned one at the low end of his normal range. His penalized TES should not affect his PCS, especially when caused mainly by Zayaking with no interruption of the program and performance.

I basically agree.

TES DOES NOT EQUAL PCS, though a case can be made for falls which disrupt a program. Pops and zayaks don't. I'm so sick of reading that a low TES should automatically equal a low PCS. It's not like Patrick's SS have gotten worse over the years. And even with his relatively high PCS, he's still in last place.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Seriously, what is wrong with you people who are complaining that that program by Yuzu shouldn't receive full tens, all the way across the board? Who the hell else are you holding marks for?

That was far and away the best short we have ever seen, the only one that comes close was the one he HIMSELF did two weeks prior. Two Quads, all the skating skills and Choreo you'd want, and a performance to die for.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I think the judges thought that you simply can not be better than that. That's why they gave the 10s. I'm not sure I can argue with that. That performance is above and beyond anything else we've ever seen in the modern figure skating.

That could be true, but even so the gap between him and #2 in PCS is less than 3 points. They hit a wall here. They couldn't give Hanyu the PCS he deserved in relation to the others because they did hit the cap.

For example, if the #2 in PCS was at somewhere around 42(and historically the highest ever had been like 43-44), they could have comfortably handed Hanyu 47, 5 more than #2 and still had some room left. Now I'd say that not only is the PCS not high enough in comparison to the other skates, it also hits the upper ceiling of the scoring system... Simply because the average level of PCS handed in mens is too high. If you, again, compare this to ladies, you can clearly see the difference and how much headroom there is. And no, I'm not buying that the -general- level of men is so much higher than ladies'.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Actually, it might partially be because of Patrick. That poor performance getting such PCS forced them to really go crazy with Hanyu's PCS... which was a deserved amount higher than the others', it was more a case of everyone else having too high PCS which forced them to give Hanyu this much.

Personally, I can't understand why Men get PCS handed out to them like candy while ladies seem to always be much more reasonably scored.

What sport have you been watching? Ladies PCS have been going crazy ever since 2014.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Yuzuru was out of this world <3 unbelievable. I love him so much
Sad for my bae Shoma. I hope he comes back and medal. He is still close enough.
Javi saved himself but those PCS... not an inspired skate today, I don't think he deserved that much.
Boyang wasn't very impressive compared to his other SPs of the season. The jumps were less clean but also the overall performance wasn't as grabbing.
Daisuke did well. Patrick ... disaster.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not gonna fight this, but she DID up her technical game from 08 to 09/10.

The 3F-3T to 3Z-3T in both programs, among other things. When, regardless of the 3A, Mao was barely doing triple-triples at that time. But this is an old fight that has been settled.

That was the only thing that I recall. But back to Yuzuru. Kudos to him for meeting (and exceeding) the competition with 2 quads in the short. A well-deserved world record.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'm not criticizing Yuzuru. I would be fine with a PCS of 47-48 (higher than Chan's). But 10s nearly across the board I think is too high.

Yet name one person in history deserve higher in men's short? Can't think of anyone...

QuadThrow

Medalist
The world has to define new words to describe what yuzuru hanyu showed to us this evening. I will not try to find some.:giveup:

He was only 1.70 under the maximum you can get for this content and got the highest components for a non-ice-dance performance ever.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going to echo what Blades of Passion has been saying for some time. 10's shouldn't be impossible to get nor should it be some imagined version of perfection that no one can achieve.

Re:Javi
Am I the only one alright with him getting a little extra love. IMO the whole environment of the arena changed and he was the only competitor to face it. I'd put him above Boyang today anyway so to me it makes sense to me.

kimganos

On the Ice
Seriously, what is wrong with you people who are complaining that that program by Yuzu shouldn't receive full tens, all the way across the board? Who the hell else are you holding marks for?

That was far and away the best short we have ever seen, the only one that comes close was the one he HIMSELF did two weeks prior. Two Quads, all the skating skills and Choreo you'd want, and a performance to die for.
:clap::bow:

Leonardo

Final Flight
Yet name one person in history deserve higher in men's short? Can't think of anyone...

Chan got 47 pcs in the olympics with a mistake in the 3A. About Hanyu, I must comment again: best scores ever for the best men's figure skater ever. Yagudin and Plushenko scored 6's, Hanyu scored 10's. Seems weirdly fair to me.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
What sport have you been watching? Ladies PCS have been going crazy ever since 2014.

Is that so? Well let's take Sotnikova FS in Sochi 2014. That is the obvious one, right? PCS was 74.41(Yuna's 74.50). Converted to men, that would equal 93.01 for FS, and converted to SP it would equal 46.5. Even Fernandez got more than that here without a nearly perfect program - see?

I mean, if you can recall a lady FS getting 76 PCS or a SP getting 38, I'd like to see.

andromache

Record Breaker
That could be true, but even so the gap between him and #2 in PCS is less than 3 points. They hit a wall here. They couldn't give Hanyu the PCS he deserved in relation to the others because they did hit the cap.

For example, if the #2 in PCS was at somewhere around 42(and historically the highest ever had been like 43-44), they could have comfortably handed Hanyu 47, 5 more than #2 and still had some room left. Now I'd say that not only is the PCS not high enough in comparison to the other skates, it also hits the upper ceiling of the scoring system... Simply because the average level of PCS handed in mens is too high. If you, again, compare this to ladies, you can clearly see the difference and how much headroom there is. And no, I'm not buying that the -general- level of men is so much higher than ladies'.

I actually think the general level of men IS higher than the ladies right now. Ladies had more retirements of the top ladies after the Olympics, and most of the current top ladies are pretty young and have a long way to go to be getting 10s. None of them are putting out Hanyu level performances in terms of speed, SS, musicality, transitions...the whole package. As some of the top ladies get more experience, improve SS and other things, we'll see the ladies pull up to the men or even ahead of them. Depending on how many of the current top men retire after 2018, the top ladies (who are on average younger than the top men at the moment) might be the better ones.