2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2016 US Nationals Senior Men FS

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Why shouldn't Raf be allowed to express what he feels? I realize that here it's all about being nice to people on the surface and talking trash behind their backs, so some honesty here is rather refreshing.

By US standards, I can see why people find it rude, but I also think Adam is a big boy who understands Raf's temperament & opinions very well. He wasn't left all alone in the kiss & cry either. If he had been sitting there alone then I think it would have been a bigger deal than it was.

edit - really, people are talking about Tara vs Michelle on the men's thread now? At least it's not Yuna in Sochi, I guess...:slink:

Last edited:

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
In the end, I'm not too concerned about the Nationals placements. All three men belong in the top 3 and deserve to go to Worlds. Does it matter in the long run that Adam is national champion? Not really, in a field where all the US men are in that second-to-last group at Worlds and no one has earned a significant amount of cache internationally. Josh Farris was the bronze medalist last year and he was the breakout performance of 4CCs and the US's golden boy going into Worlds. It's only by accident that the US men ended up placing in the same order they did at Nationals: Jason, Adam, Josh, and it only happened because of their performances that day. Josh made a lot of mistakes, Adam made a few mistakes, and Jason was clean as a whistle.

Excited for next year's "Battle of the National Champions" at Nationals, with Max versus Jason versus Adam, and seeing ANOTHER NEW national champion end up crowned (Josh or Nathan). ;)

Let´s see how many of them will be injured....

Vicky458

On the Ice
Yeah well, they owed her big time. I'm gonna go off topic, but Tara needs to remember that the best jumper doesn't and shouldn't always win.

Tara should than thank lucky stars she didn't skate when jumps were reviewed, because I can see the double carrot on that 3L/3L and the ! on her 3Z, and Michelle on the top step in 98 if it was the case.
Agreed that goes for Sarah as well. Michelle would be a two time OGM

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Well as always, congratulations to all the medalists. They all showed up and give it their all so good job.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
By US standards, I can see why people find it rude, but I also think Adam is a big boy who understands Raf's temperament & opinions very well. He wasn't left all alone in the kiss & cry either. If he had been sitting there alone then I think it would have been a bigger deal than it was.

edit - really, people are talking about Tara vs Michelle on the men's thread now? At least it's not Yuna in Sochi, I guess...:slink:

Well, I wasn't enthralled with Tara/Johnny's commentary about how jumps should be the be all end all tonight. Especially in the context of Tara not even being in the sport more than the blink of an eye. She wouldn't know anything about artistry, honestly. I said I was going off topic, though. :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Whew!

Also for those of you who are Jason fans, he will likely compete at the Challenge Cup
in Spokane. So it's a win win for all.

badknees

Medalist

Nope. nope. Doesn't matter what country you are in or from. Adam hired Raf to do a job and be his supportive coach. Raf, as a professional did not do his job in the KC for Adam. If Raf can't be a professional and handle this, then he has too many students.
I think Raf owes a big apology to Adam and perhaps a partial refund. This is a business. Raf was acting like a spoiled parent for Nathan. That's not his job.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Whew!

Also for those of you who are Jason fans, he will likely compete at the Challenge Cup
in Spokane. So it's a win win for all.

As I said, I'm find with him not getting a World's Bid. However, my point that if he is healthy that he would probably place higher than the three who are going still stands. As well as my point that people should be prepared for the US Men to lose a spot this year.

Vicky458

On the Ice
Well, I wasn't enthralled with Tara/Johnny's commentary about how jumps should be the be all end all tonight. Especially in the context of Tara not even being in the sport more than the blink of an eye. She wouldn't know anything about artistry, honestly. I said I was going off topic, though. :biggrin:

And she never skated under the IJS and has no idea how points are accumulated

winky97

Medalist
No excuse for Raf who is hired and being paid by Adam to so blatantly not support him in the KC. You mean top 3 for worlds??

Not making excuses for Raf. Just looking at it from the other perspective. This is the problem that can arise when you coach competitors. He is also being paid by Nathan and has to stand up and support him too. It was not just Adam placed over Nathan it was also Max, which put Nathan on the bubble with the Jason situation. I did not witness what Raf did, but it sounds unprofessional. Just recognizing why it may have happened.

Yes, meant to say top three from Nats were named to Worlds.

zschultz1986

Final Flight
And she never skated under the IJS and has no idea how points are accumulated

She's a commentator. If she can't learn the system like the rest of us, get off the damn mic. Scott never skated under IJS, but he gave a logical explanation as to the judging, I.E, spins, footwork, PCS.

Last edited:

sowcow

On the Ice
Because he coaches both Nathan and Adam. There's a way to express how you feel that still respects the accomplishments of both of his skaters. Storming off when seeing the US judges go with Adam is not the classy and respectful way of showing his feelings.

Has it been confirmed that Raf "stormed off" in reaction to Adam's score?

Perhaps more accurately, Raf simply "departed very quickly" out of the sudden realization and concern that Nathan was now in much grater danger of being 'overlooked' for the Sr. World Team ... and there was no time to waste to start his 'politicking'!! This scenario fits into the context of how quickly the USFSA decision is/was made regarding the final selection of the USFSA men's world team (...as just announced via Twitter; less than 1 hour after the protocols were released).

Until proven otherwise, it should be considered only as rumour (...so let's give Raf the benefit of the doubt?!?)

Of course, if it is confirmed that Raf did "storm off" ... then bad on him!! :roll5:

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
As I said, I'm find with him not getting a World's Bid. However, my point that if he is healthy that he would probably place higher than the three who are going still stands. As well as my point that people should be prepared for the US Men to lose a spot this year.

I think the US stands about the same chance of losing a spot with or without Jason. The field has gotten so much deeper than last year; it would be shocking for any US man, even Jason, to get 4th place. I'm most interested to see how Nathan holds up next to Boyang...both should be around the same PCS-wise, but if Nathan earns less than Boyang then it's good he's getting to perform as a senior sooner rather than later.

Yeah well, they owed her big time.

They kind of owed her when she didn't make a fuss about not going to the 1994 Olympics.

But what they really owed her for was carrying United States figure skating on her back for a decade. :laugh:

On the other hand, she was well paid, and not just in money. So I guess it's even-steven. :yes:

eta

Medalist
Nope. nope. Doesn't matter what country you are in or from. Adam hired Raf to do a job and be his supportive coach. Raf, as a professional did not do his job in the KC for Adam. If Raf can't be a professional and handle this, then he has too many students.
I think Raf owes a big apology to Adam and perhaps a partial refund. This is a business. Raf was acting like a spoiled parent for Nathan. That's not his job.

(So your post was not actually at me but) my mistake then. I always thought a coach's job was to teach a student how to compete, not more than that.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Do you US fans forget to celebrate a great event put on by your Men today because you went straight into debating who to send to worlds and who was more or less worthy?

Congratulations to Adam, Max, and Nathan! All very impressive in their different ways. :clap: