2016 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2016 Four Continents Ladies SP

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
No edge call or underrotation for Mirai. that's a good sign going into the free because she's usually on her feet.
Hope she can medal. She has a big chance if she doesn't bomb :slink:

mrrice

Record Breaker
No edge call or underrotation for Mirai. that's a good sign going into the free because she's usually on her feet.

"Bomb"........This word has become my new least favorite and I'd love to see it erased from the F.S. vocabulary. IMO, all Mirai needs to do is trust herself. I think that may be the best thing that Tom has done for Mirai. He's given her something that every performer. In fact, every person needs and that is "Self Belief"

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Recap for today. It has a quote from Mirai.

http://www.usfigureskatingfanzone.com/uncategorized/4cctaipeicity-team-usa-competition-central/

Mirai Nagasu: “Every time I compete, I learn something new. Then I go home and work harder to fix the mistakes that I made. Unfortunately I didn’t get all my levels today, but I’m so happy with my performance and nailing my triple-triple without an under-rotation on it. Going into the long program I can only continue to keep attacking my programs.”

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
"Bomb"........This word has become my new least favorite and I'd love to see it erased from the F.S. vocabulary.

Yes, hopefully the word 'bomb' will be banned soon, causing everyone to pick a new term for a disastrous performance that will equally annoy someone else and wish that word erased too! :rock:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The thing with Satoko is that everything goes so fast that the prerotation can be hard to see. The panel (I think) doesn't have slo-mo of jump take-offs, so if they blink they can miss it. That she gets so much +GOE from so many judges makes me think they can't see it either. It's easy to criticize the judging but they have very limited viewing angles and few opportunities to view replay of anything other than jump landings.

da96103

Record Breaker
The commentators, professional and experienced and knowledgeable as they may be, are not so obsessive like us fans on this site as to scrutinize the takeoffs and rotations of jumps at 0.25x speed replay on Youtube. It's not their job and they got better things to do. Also I'd imagine it's in their interest to avoid controversial remarks and just go along with the judges' scoring and calls. We fans care enough about the sport and the skaters to really dig into the technical details and opine, with visual evidence there for everyone to examine, discuss and debate. I think it's a fun and constructive part of spectating my favorite sport and I wouldn't just take the commentators' views as correct and superior.

Except for Tara and Johnny.

desertskates

Medalist

Ok, I agree with others about laying off the topic of the young ladies bombing the competition. At the point, it's Satoko against herself, and a lot of lovely young ladies looking for their chance to fill out the podium. I'm thrilled about Kanako and Mirai's showings, and the podium could be quite interesting. Lets all hug it out and wish the top group all the best as they continue to hang on to their spots! :ghug:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Recap for today. It has a quote from Mirai.

Mirai Nagasu: “Every time I compete, I learn something new. Then I go home and work harder to fix the mistakes that I made. Unfortunately I didn’t get all my levels today, but I’m so happy with my performance and nailing my triple-triple without an under-rotation on it. Going into the long program I can only continue to keep attacking my programs.”

And THIS is why lenient technical panels are a BAD THING. Here's Mirai all pleased that she's landed a "clean" triple triple. Except, the replay shows it probably should have been called <. She thinks she's fixed the problem and she hasn't, and no doubt she'll look all startled and upset the next time she goes to competition and it DOES get dinged and her fans will cry bloody murder and so on.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Did Mirai do a flip or a loop for her solo jump? I am no tech expert, but to me the landing was gorgeous. The curve out of it was so crisp and the way she held up her free leg. It is nice to see such a confident landing.

But she does seem a little distant. I almost feel like we are intruding on her practice time by watching her. But it could also be that she means business and has to focus down to be able to do as wonderful SP as she did.

FlattFan

Match Penalty

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Are you blind? Look at 0:34 on Liza. If Satoko has 180 degree prerotation, Liza would be at least 145 degree prerotation.
Yes, Elizaveta pre-rotates her flip, but it's clearly below 180 degrees (and the flip is not her best jump, the pre-rotation on the lutz is minimal), which is fine by the rules. Satoko prerotates more than 180 degrees. Always.
EDIT: Her axel is fine. So not always. ;)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
And THIS is why lenient technical panels are a BAD THING. Here's Mirai all pleased that she's landed a "clean" triple triple. Except, the replay shows it probably should have been called <. She thinks she's fixed the problem and she hasn't, and no doubt she'll look all startled and upset the next time she goes to competition and it DOES get dinged and her fans will cry bloody murder and so on.
Well all the ladies got lenient calls, not just her.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Recovering from the shock of Gold's skate yesterday. To those who speak so harshly about her she's not choosing to skate badly. She's not doing it to you. Can you imagine how a 20 year old, barely adult, woman feels falling like that on International TV, having to sit there and wait for scores in front of a arena full of people, AND knowing she's got to recover from this in 2 days to skate again? It's not a pity party but how many 20 year olds face intense situations such as these? A little compassion - Anna P., Mao short in 2014 Olys - bad things happen to hard-working, talented people sometimes.

1. I can't think of a skater of Frank's whose had these performance problems. Fratiani, Kwan, Lysacek were all great competitors. Maybe a little advice from somewhere else is in order.
2. Coming to accept that she should replace 3F in short with something more reliable´. And something she could tack a double/triple on if her opening combination fails. Two vey tough elements back-to-back may be too much yet.
3. Her opening combination is glorious when it works. But, remember last year when she kept running into the boards with it. Hopefully they can retune it in time for tomorrow.
4. Gracie's main competitor is Gracie. Whether Satako's jumps are cheats, or Chartrand PCS is too low, or Med is unbeatable this season. None of it is relevant. She has to figure out a way to skate her skate.
5. At least Gracie's response yeserday was sane. No plastic smile at final pose; she sucked and she knew it. Also, no meandering off the ice and weird fussing with stuff toys while waiting for score. She just looked into the camera and took it like an adult.

So, all the best tomorrow. Hope you get a decent night sleep.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
@karlowens2
Gracie will do very well tomorrow, as always. She'll show that she's a fighter and nothing will change. Well, I hope that something will change. Somebody here wrote (I think it was jenaj) that she should also change the order of her jumps, start with the 2A. I think that would be a good idea, to get her nerves settled. And yes, that flip isn't for her SP. She just cannot get the trouble she has with it out of her system. This will only get worse. Also because she never got an edge call on it when it was deserved.