2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate | Page 146 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies Free Skate

artsciboy

On the Ice
I couldn't sleep for several hours after the ladies event. I was so impressed by the competitors overall. What a difference a year makes when you think about the scores required by skaters to make the podium or the placements they obtained (or even just to make the free skate) this year as compared to Worlds in Shanghai.

I don't usually love the Russian wunderkinds - but Evgenia was the deserved winner. She proved she wasn't a robot with her slightly shaky SP (where I thought she was overmarked), but she nailed the FS. Maybe not world record-worthy, but a well-deserved win.

Absolutely pleased for Ashley - more than deserved her 2nd place. I thought she was undermarked in the SP for going early, so even with her small technical issues in the FS, I felt like she should have gotten the silver overall. I love Moulin Rouge and the changes she made to it over the past year. And I say thumbs up to the judges for giving her the highest PCS scores. Her performance quality over the others was palpable - and sadly, all the more apparent just after Gracie's flat performance. I knew coming out of the GPF where Ashley received PCS scores of 71.55 skating first versus Evgenia's 72.37 skating last that if she delivered, the judges were willing to go her way. I hope she skates with all the confidence in the world now that she's got the monkey off her back of getting a world medal and skating a clean SP at worlds.

Very happy that Anna got the bronze. I hope this makes the Russian federation stop treating her likely the ugly stepsister. She skates with speed and great jump technique. Now, I think her programs/presentation leave me cold and her jumps (while clean) are stiff, but there's no denying that with her awesome SP that she deserved to be on the podium.

Gracie - I admire her natural talent tremendously, but I've never viewed her as US' great hope. I don't think she's packaged correctly - she just doesn't move me the same way that Ashley does, and there's a very mechanical and stiff quality to her presentation. I thought she was overscored in the SP. That said, 4th overall is not a bad placement and I hope she takes some positives from this competition. After all, she placed 1st after the SP and didn't implode in the FS.

Satoko - such beautiful and subtle skating programs, which unfortunately the judges don't seem to get behind when everyone skates well. Combined with her small jumps, she is going to have rely on others to make mistakes to podium (like last year). But she should be encouraged that she placed 3rd in the FS.

Elena - she did 7 triples, but every jumping pass was a struggle/fight. And her wild, flinging of her arms was atrocious. Not to mention her posture, which I thought was worse than Rika's. She's just not my cup of tea.

I thought Mao was solid but cautious. Rika - she brought so much joy to that Riverdance program...she needs to work on her posture stat!

I think Mirai redeemed herself and finishing in 10th place is nothing to sneeeze at.

So disappointed in Alaine, but nice to see Gabby finishing in 9th. I was not surprised Gabby had scores as high as she did given that she fully rotated 7 triples, so the 2 hands down were minor issues in my mind.

An incredible event!!!!!

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Nope, she is just 16 and her body is still prepuberal or puberal. It's not the body of a completely developed woman (I'm a doctor). Anna is such.

Glad to hear a doctor address this. Is it true that girls in this period have a lower fat to muscle ratio than adult women? Also, are their bones still developing and less dense? Aren't these factors why jumps are easier? Also, it gives these girls this lithe quality - which only last 18 months to 2 years.

It's troubled me for years that we're handing out important metals to individuals who won't be able to do these things in 2 years. Also the lithe quality is lovely but is it artistry? How many other colors can a 15 yo bring to the performance? What makes Ashley's skating so powerful is the depth she brings to the material.

What do you think?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
First of all:

Congratulations to Anna & Ashley! I got chills watching Moulin Rouge, Anna's Sheherazade was not nearly as engaging as her Bolero but she skated her best too, they both proved their detractors wrong. Zhenya deservedly so won World Championships in her debut, WR not deserved though. Rika was great too, I love her Riverdance!

Mao brought so much joy & emotion with her heavenly, simply transcendent performance - so I am happy regardless of place & score. I think she was underscored once again but even if she was judged fairly she would have not found herself on the podium in such a competitive field, that system and only so-so SP. Her components were better than in THE case of Evgenia but scoring is a different matter unfortunately. I also think it's ridiculous leaving tanos, 2nd half bonuses of Zhenya and Mao's shortcomings on her 3-axel aside that she received for that 4.19 points vs 4.49 of Medvedeva for her solo 2-axel. I know that it's understandable looking at that protocol and being aware of current rules but I am not sure whether Mao axel should have been degraded and that system stinks either way. Triple loop in combo indeed deserved UR call but 3 toe after 2 axel to me did not either. Sometimes you just wonder whether they do not deliberately keep certain skaters down with nitpicking or ignoring flaws in others :( 7th place in Long Program is even more ridiculous but don't get me started.

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's a symptom of a declining Western culture. Capitalist logic dictates continual progress, and that's slowly died since the 80s and especially the 90s. In response, the West has clamored towards happy talk culture of unabated progress completely at odds with reality. This is played out on a macro scale in politics and in the microscale of figure skating and why I'm forced by my department to give 40% of college students As in calc 3 when in 1960 the same university gave less than 10% of kids As.

Loled here. One thing is certain for me tho: if Trump will get elected, I will move to Russia and beg for citizenship. :sarcasm: I happen to be fluent in Russian, that helps. I also have a second ciitzenship of the country of EU, that helps too. Politics aside, at least they doing a lot of things right in Russia and in Europe: arts, literature, education and mainly no Trump - to name the few. :D

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I gotta hand it to the Beebs... lol... after giving honeybear tons of praises for the WE program on the BBC livecast. They agreed it deserve a medal, but questioned what colour. Then after announcer finally reading out of the score 150.10!!... commentary went on a stunned silence mode for about 8 seconds, then the femalecaster had to insert a rather sarcastic "surprise surprise!!" followed by 10 more seconds of dead air. Silence is truly golden :rofl2: Oh i am with you Robin, I am with you. What can one possibly say?!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the top 10, there was exactly one skater not from Japan, USA, or Russia.

Other federations need to step up. Think about it, not including Russia, there was not one single European lady worthy of a Top 10 placement.

Sad.

minze

Medalist
I gotta hand it to the Beebs... lol... after giving honeybear tons of praises for the WE program on the BBC livecast. They agreed it deserve a medal, but questioned what colour. Then after announcer finally reading out of the score 150.10!!... commentary went on a stunned silence mode for about 8 seconds, then the femalecaster had to insert a rather sarcastic "surprise surprise!!" followed by 10 more seconds of dead air. Silence is truly golden :rofl2: Oh i am with you Robin, I am with you. What can one possibly say?!

Hanyu has to be careful because at this rate she will break his SP record "insert sarcasm":slink: however I doubt Yuna Kim is loosing any sleep over her record been broken. She probably didn't even know World was this weekend :laugh2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, she is just 16 and her body is still prepuberal or puberal. It's not the body of a completely developed woman (I'm a doctor). Anna is such.

I'm surprised a doctor would make a diagnosis with such confidence without actually examining someone. I have three doctors in my family and none of them will ever make a diagnosis for me even if I'm at thanksgiving dinner with them. :laugh: I'm also surprised because my friend who is over 25 is actually smaller and less developed than Zhenya and has a minor thyroid issue but other than that she is considered perfectly healthy. I didn't know doctors could determine such things without physical consultations and tests.

Last edited:
It's troubled me for years that we're handing out important metals to individuals who won't be able to do these things in 2 years.

But then again, if a competitor delivers the best skate today we can hardly say, "Well, you won, but we are going to put your medal in escrow for two years to see if you are still just as good then."

minze

Medalist
But then again, if a competitor delivers the best skate today we can hardly say, "Well, you won, but we are going to put your medal in escrow for two years to see if you are still just as good then."

Agree. Edvenia deserve this 100% regardless of what she will do in the future

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This is how you do a proper tano

https://youtu.be/XUwBkQEILVo?t=3m17s

Different topic I know but ...

Now I know why people hate Tara's commentary so much. ''She's still chasing that Olympic Gold, blah, blah, blah ... ''), She almost can't stop babbling throughout and her voice is annoying :palmf: :shock2: I don't know why but almost all American commentators have that manner of bringing up trivialities and talking too much :slink: Lipinski is surely knowledgeable but I can't stand listening to her.

Last edited:

sweetskates1

Medalist
Your comments mirror my opinions! :) I also agree that Evgenia deserved the win w/o the WR. Ashley was underscored in the short. Anna still lacks a je ne sais quoi even though her jumps are HUGE. So overall Ashley's 2nd place finish made sense to me. Mirai not falling was as much as I had hoped for and tenth place in this field was astounding! I wish she could have beaten a couple more ladies but I sense that what I see on my screen does not adequately capture the reality of the movements live audiences see. Rika had the crowd going and I literally cringed through the whole thing. I found her arms just aesthetically displeasing in the worst way. Elena seems like the most complete package out of the Russians to me - I think she sells it better than Anna, and rotates jumps a lot better than Evgenia. But, my impression is that live audiences do not love her nearly as much as I thought they would. Gabby seems like a much more better bet than Alaine but I feel that the latter has more fans than the former.

I couldn't sleep for several hours after the ladies event. I was so impressed by the competitors overall. What a difference a year makes when you think about the scores required by skaters to make the podium or the placements they obtained (or even just to make the free skate) this year as compared to Worlds in Shanghai.

I don't usually love the Russian wunderkinds - but Evgenia was the deserved winner. She proved she wasn't a robot with her slightly shaky SP (where I thought she was overmarked), but she nailed the FS. Maybe not world record-worthy, but a well-deserved win.

Absolutely pleased for Ashley - more than deserved her 2nd place. I thought she was undermarked in the SP for going early, so even with her small technical issues in the FS, I felt like she should have gotten the silver overall. I love Moulin Rouge and the changes she made to it over the past year. And I say thumbs up to the judges for giving her the highest PCS scores. Her performance quality over the others was palpable - and sadly, all the more apparent just after Gracie's flat performance. I knew coming out of the GPF where Ashley received PCS scores of 71.55 skating first versus Evgenia's 72.37 skating last that if she delivered, the judges were willing to go her way. I hope she skates with all the confidence in the world now that she's got the monkey off her back of getting a world medal and skating a clean SP at worlds.

Very happy that Anna got the bronze. I hope this makes the Russian federation stop treating her likely the ugly stepsister. She skates with speed and great jump technique. Now, I think her programs/presentation leave me cold and her jumps (while clean) are stiff, but there's no denying that with her awesome SP that she deserved to be on the podium.

Gracie - I admire her natural talent tremendously, but I've never viewed her as US' great hope. I don't think she's packaged correctly - she just doesn't move me the same way that Ashley does, and there's a very mechanical and stiff quality to her presentation. I thought she was overscored in the SP. That said, 4th overall is not a bad placement and I hope she takes some positives from this competition. After all, she placed 1st after the SP and didn't implode in the FS.

Satoko - such beautiful and subtle skating programs, which unfortunately the judges don't seem to get behind when everyone skates well. Combined with her small jumps, she is going to have rely on others to make mistakes to podium (like last year). But she should be encouraged that she placed 3rd in the FS.

Elena - she did 7 triples, but every jumping pass was a struggle/fight. And her wild, flinging of her arms was atrocious. Not to mention her posture, which I thought was worse than Rika's. She's just not my cup of tea.

I thought Mao was solid but cautious. Rika - she brought so much joy to that Riverdance program...she needs to work on her posture stat!

I think Mirai redeemed herself and finishing in 10th place is nothing to sneeeze at.

So disappointed in Alaine, but nice to see Gabby finishing in 9th. I was not surprised Gabby had scores as high as she did given that she fully rotated 7 triples, so the 2 hands down were minor issues in my mind.

An incredible event!!!!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the top 10, there was exactly one skater not from Japan, USA, or Russia.

Other federations need to step up. Think about it, not including Russia, there was not one single European lady worthy of a Top 10 placement.

Sad.

Well I think a case could be made that maybe Zijun should have placed ahead of Mirai and should have been in the top ten but I guess the judges clearly disagree with me there.

Well I think a case could be made that maybe Zijun should have placed ahead of Mirai and should have been in the top ten but I guess the judges clearly disagree with me there.

I loved them both.

Johnny Weir made the interesting comment, about Zijun's performance, that she needs to skate bigger. "If that (Zijun's) dancy program had been performed by a crowd-grabber like Mirai, she would have got a standing ovation" (Paraphrase)

Callycal

Rinkside
Satoko should have medaled.

I love her skating, can't say enough about it. I just don't understand the PCS scores at all.

Does anyone else think that Anna Pogorilya ought to work on softer knees? She seems so straight-legged on her jumps. This is OK when they are perfect (like last night), but when they are off a little, a softer knee would help her save some landings -- or at least, if she fell, she wouldn't fall so hard.

Yeah, Anna definitely wasn't pleased when they announced Ashley's score. On the other hand, Anna and Evgenia seem to be on friendly terms -- there was a shot in the waiting room with Anna resting her head on Evgenia's lap.

Speaking of falls, I think the reason that Gracie's was so bad is that she landed on her back. Then she had to turtle herself awkwardly upright -- no chance for a graceful ("Fall? What fall?") rebound.

Last edited:

badknees

Medalist
It pains me to say this....but I think a coaching change may need to be in the works. For as much as Frank Carroll has done with previous champions, I just don't think Gracie and Frank are a good fit. Frank literally told Gracie to calm down before the program started, and I thought "NO! I want the wild and crazy Gracie to come out!" I just feel that since Gracie has gone to Frank, her jumps have become a little more cautious and conservative. They are beautiful jumps when executed well (OBVIOUSLY), however Gracie needs that coach who is going to get her riled up, send her out to the ice, and have her execute her jumps with the high energy and spring she used to get. That's what makes Gracie so great, is her huge jumps!
I honestly wish Gracie had maybe a Brian Orser or a Richard Callahan next to her on the boards, to help her feel confident technically. She needs that inspiration from other skaters the likes of Javi Fernandez and Yuzu. I guarantee you if Orser was coaching her this year, we would have seen two Rippon lutzes in the free. Frank has to stop being so conservative with her in the free! Hell, if you wanted her to bank everything on a flip in the short, and yet you only have her doing a 2A-3T in the free?
Whatever, I still think Gracie will be a World and Olympic Champion one day. She's just too good not to be.

Would love to see Gracie with Orser or Raf. Apparently she left her childhood Russian coach because she is sensitive and he would yell and bark at her.
Well perhaps Frank is too much the opposite. After reading an article on Orser's training camp it seems a very hard working but positive place to train.
Raf would be a good fit, because he is nice but does get mad when needed. I'll never forget his reaction this year to Ashleys free skate at nationals!

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone else think that Anna Pogorilya ought to work on softer knees? She seems so straight-legged on her jumps. This is OK when they are perfect (like last night), but when they are off a little, a softer knee would help her save some landings -- or at least, if she fell, she wouldn't fall so hard.

Yeah, Anna definitely wasn't pleased when they announced Ashley's score. On the other hand, Anna and Evgenia seem to be on friendly terms -- there was a shot in the waiting room with Anna resting her head on Evgenia's lap.

I think Anna is a driven personality and wanted to win. But I do think that she is proud of herself. I was watching her SP yesterday and everyone made a big deal about her stern she was, but I noticed that she did crack a smile. It was really faint and lasted a second, but it was long enough for me to notice!

Anyway, I think the dramatic falls are more because they are crazy huge jumps so if something goes wrong, there's nothing really she can do. Soft knees perhaps may help, but I notice that she just falls from the air, which makes me think that the landings aren't the problem.

Satoko should have medaled.

I love her skating, can't say enough about it. I just don't understand the PCS scores at all.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining us.

I don't understand PCSs at all either. To me, Mao was the most lovely and graceful, with Satoko second. But I guess other factors go into the scoring.