2016 US Intl FS Classic Mens SP | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 US Intl FS Classic Mens SP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So since anonymous judging is no longer in effect, we can see how each judge did on the top 5 in PCS:

Judge 1 Mr. Slobodan DELIC, Serbia
1.) Adam Rippon 43.5
2.) Sean Rabbit 39.75
3.) Jason Brown 39.25
4.) Takahito Mura 37.00
5.) Ross Miner 34.75

Judge 2 Ms. Ece ESEN, Turkey
1.) Rippon, 42.25
2.) Brown 41.00
3.) Miner 39.00
4.) Rabbit 35.75
5.) Mura 35.50

Judge 3 Ms Yoshiko KOBAYASHI, Japan
1.) Rippon 42.50
2.) Brown 42.25 (tied)
2.) Mura 42.25 (tied)
4.) Miner 36.75
5.) Rabbit 34.50

Judge 4 Ms. Sandra WILLIAMSON-LEADLEY, New Zealand
1.) Rippon 42.75
2.) Brown 42.25
3.) Rabbit 37.75
4.) Mura 37.50
4.) Miner 37.50

Judge 5 Mrs. Susan MORRISS, Canada
1.) Brown 43.75
2.) Rippon 43.25
3.) Miner 40.50
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 37.50

Judge 6 Ms. Wendy ENZMANN, United States
1.) Brown 42.75
2.) Rippon 40.25
3.) Miner 40.00
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 35.00

Judge 7 Ms. Angelique CLYDE-SMITH, Australia
1.) Brown 43.00
2.) Miner 41.75
3.) Rabbit 37.25
4.) Rippon 35.75
5.) Mura 34.00

There is quite a bit of out-of-corridor scoring here. Utterly fascinating. And in a surprise to noone, the U.S. judge is a total homer -- just didn't expect it to be that blatant! And are we sure the Australian judge isn't karne in disguise? ;)

Last edited:

Dots

Final Flight
Yes! Adam is bringing the sass and camp into the men's field. Rudy would be proud. :love:

When he wags his finger to the judges, he needs an audio track saying "GURL please!" and do a head turn.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
So since anonymous judging is no longer in effect, we can see how each judge did on the top 5 in PCS:

1.) Adam Rippon 43.5
2.) Sean Rabbit 39.75
3.) Jason Brown 39.25
4.) Takahito Mura 37.00
5.) Ross Miner 34.75

1.) Rippon, 42.25
2.) Brown 41.00
3.) Miner 39.00
4.) Rabbit 35.75
5.) Mura 35.50

1.) Rippon 42.50
2.) Brown 42.25 (tied)
2.) Mura 42.25 (tied)
4.) Miner 36.75
5.) Rabbit 34.50

1.) Rippon 42.75
2.) Brown 42.25
3.) Rabbit 37.75
4.) Mura 37.50
4.) Miner 37.50

1.) Brown 43.75
2.) Rippon 43.25
3.) Miner 40.50
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 37.50

1.) Brown 42.75
2.) Rippon 40.25
3.) Miner 40.00
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 35.00

1.) Brown 43.00
2.) Miner 41.75
3.) Rabbit 37.25
4.) Rippon 35.75
5.) Mura 34.00

There is quite a bit of out-of-corridor scoring here. Utterly fascinating. And in a surprise to noone, the U.S. judge is a total homer -- just didn't expect it to be that blatant! And are we sure the Australian judge isn't karne in disguise? ;)

If I were Raf, I'd be giving Miss Australia a call about my student. Her scores for Adam border on Criminal...:mad:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
WOW JUST WOW!!!!! At least, I don't have to criticize too much the Canadian judge... :)

1.) Adam Rippon 43.5
2.) Sean Rabbit 39.75
3.) Jason Brown 39.25
4.) Takahito Mura 37.00
5.) Ross Miner 34.75

1.) Rippon, 42.25
2.) Brown 41.00
3.) Miner 39.00
4.) Rabbit 35.75
5.) Mura 35.50

1.) Rippon 42.50
2.) Brown 42.25 (tied)
2.) Mura 42.25 (tied)
4.) Miner 36.75
5.) Rabbit 34.50

1.) Rippon 42.75
2.) Brown 42.25
3.) Rabbit 37.75
4.) Mura 37.50
4.) Miner 37.50

1.) Brown 43.75
2.) Rippon 43.25
3.) Miner 40.50
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 37.50

1.) Brown 42.75
2.) Rippon 40.25
3.) Miner 40.00
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 35.00

1.) Brown 43.00
2.) Miner 41.75
3.) Rabbit 37.25
4.) Rippon 35.75
5.) Mura 34.00

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Elladj Balde. Gorgeous program. Of the men's programs, this skate had the most comprehensive, sweeping connections of skater, music, and passion. He had a couple of tech errors, but those jumps will come. The heart elements of the program are already there in a powerful way.

Jason Brown. Well, this program is already wearing down on me at this point. I've never had that happen with a Jason Brown program. I actually like the singer's voice, and I don't find it screechy. It's strong music with a sort of edge to it that I think is a good choice for Jason this year. His jumps usually improve over the season, so I have faith that'll happen, and the 4T is progressing. He'll probably win me over with the program. But Jason is an excellent example of the principle that there's a world of difference between a clean skate vs. one with more difficult elements which are not quite realized.

Adam Rippon. Adam rocked my world too with this SP. It's the fact that Adam is skating fully as himself. He knows his strengths and tonight he performed them with just the right amount of outrageously beautiful skating with a little cheekiness. His skating, his body lines, his interpretation combine with the music to make an integrated program. He gathers power from his connection with the audience. He earned eight points in GOE! I think he's choosing to begin the season with elements that he's sure of, to build confidence going forward. Way to go, Adam!

Sean Rabbit. There is power in the smile. It gives us comfort and confidence that it's not going to be all angst and yikes, what's gonna happen with the j? He's happy to be skating for the audience and wants to share what he has to give. That's something quite special. It's as though he knows how lucky he is to be able to do what he loves. The East of Eden program is just gorgeous. My all time favorite figure skating music.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow... i think mrs p has a point... karne was judging this lol
If I were Raf, I'd be giving Miss Australia a call about my student. Her scores for Adam border on Criminal...:mad:

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't even try one.

Last year you complained all season long that Adam kept attempting a 4Lz without it being fully rotated. So, I'd a thought you'd be happy one way or the other.;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker

1.) Adam Rippon 43.5
2.) Sean Rabbit 39.75
3.) Jason Brown 39.25
4.) Takahito Mura 37.00
5.) Ross Miner 34.75

1.) Rippon, 42.25
2.) Brown 41.00
3.) Miner 39.00
4.) Rabbit 35.75
5.) Mura 35.50

1.) Rippon 42.50
2.) Brown 42.25 (tied)
2.) Mura 42.25 (tied)
4.) Miner 36.75
5.) Rabbit 34.50

1.) Rippon 42.75
2.) Brown 42.25
3.) Rabbit 37.75
4.) Mura 37.50
4.) Miner 37.50

1.) Brown 43.75
2.) Rippon 43.25
3.) Miner 40.50
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 37.50

1.) Brown 42.75
2.) Rippon 40.25
3.) Miner 40.00
4.) Rabbit 38.25
5.) Mura 35.00

1.) Brown 43.00
2.) Miner 41.75
3.) Rabbit 37.25
4.) Rippon 35.75
5.) Mura 34.00

Following up on Mrs P's post: it's really interesting to see that the Serbian judge loved Adam and hated Jason; the Aussie judge loved Jason and hated Adam; the Turkish judge definitely preferred Adam to Jason, the US judge definitely preferred Jason to Adam, the Japanese and New Zealand judges slightly preferred Adam to Jason, and the Canadian judge slightly preferred Jason to Adam.

The Serbian judge's scores were so out of line for both Adam and Jason that almost all of them were probably thrown out, as were the Aussie judge's low scores for Adam.

The most interesting to me: the US judge who placed Jason highest here was chair of the Worlds selection committee - which of course bypassed him for the World Team.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Watching mainly the skating and the programs:

I love Eladj's program and his skating is beautiful. His skating skills have improved so much and his performance is so natural and in character throughout. He has a quad so higher scores will come later in the season. He has a backflip too, but of course it will have nothing to do with the competition results. :)

I like Jason's SP choreography much better than his LP. It's more fluid and less superfluous, letting him glide more on edges. Well done.

I dislike Adam's music but he sasses so well to it so maybe it's good for him. It's weird disliking the music and liking the performance simultaneously.

Nam's biggest fault is his "costume". He definitely shouldn't dress like a little boy and his performance is reminiscent of his earlier playful joyous programs. He needs to be more suave and jazzy, more playboy than playful boy. Hopefully the real costume, a little seasoning, and a successful quad, will show his best with this program.

I tried to understand why Mura's PCS is low and I see that he does not show off enough skating skills, a lot of movements, yes, but mostly two foot skating, even if alternating two foot skating. There is not a distinct character to the program, unlike, e.g. Adam, and even Eladj who placed lower. Whether his PCS is underscored, especially relative to the others, it's the judges' call and for them to justify, not me.

Sean's program or his performance is a little boring for me to pay attention to throughout, or I was just tired.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Following up on Mrs P's post: it's really interesting to see that the Serbian judge loved Adam and hated Jason; the Aussie judge loved Jason and hated Adam; the Turkish judge definitely preferred Adam to Jason, the US judge definitely preferred Jason to Adam, the Japanese and New Zealand judges slightly preferred Adam to Jason, and the Canadian judge slightly preferred Jason to Adam.

The Serbian judge's scores were so out of line for both Adam and Jason that almost all of them were probably thrown out, as were the Aussie judge's low scores for Adam.

The most interesting to me: the US judge who placed Jason highest here was chair of the Worlds selection committee - which of course bypassed him for the World Team.

but... jason was just coming back from injury then and had not competed in US nationals right? or am i not remembering things properly? i wouldn't extrapolate on this judge's behaviour based on jason's condition a year ago.... nor do i hope that judges are now being called fan of skater a or b... what about judging the event as it happens? what if that judge today thought jason was better than Adam in PCS today....but at the next competition believes that Adam is better ?

For instance, I prefer Jason's SP to Adam's... but Adam today performed a bit better IMHO.... do you think it's possible that judges may really judge what's happening on the ice... on a specific day

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Not to mention the fact there are multiple members of the committee. For all we know she wanted Jason at Worlds and got outvoted. Or she didn't vote at all. Generally with most committees, the chair only votes if there is a tie.

I have to admit Sam Smith was bit more bearable with Jason skating that program a little bit better overall (quad fall aside and the level 3 spin). I agree with VB there's lots of nice glides and such. The falling leaf into the camel spin is pretty nice too.

ETA: Ice Network has the on-demand video up: http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v1167970183 (though with all the starts and stops. Sigh).

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
8.75 for Adam in skating skills? Now that is funny...

Mura got absolutely hosed in PCS.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
lol, mura 5+ points behind on pcs? with a 36? Who are the judges kidding? Unless the only criteria for components was costumes.

Good start for Taka. Even the costume isn't TOO bad (for him!). :) Love Massimo Scali's choreography.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
but... jason was just coming back from injury then and had not competed in US nationals right? or am i not remembering things properly? i wouldn't extrapolate on this judge's behaviour based on jason's condition a year ago.... nor do i hope that judges are now being called fan of skater a or b... what about judging the event as it happens? what if that judge today thought jason was better than Adam in PCS today....but at the next competition believes that Adam is better ?

For instance, I prefer Jason's SP to Adam's... but Adam today performed a bit better IMHO.... do you think it's possible that judges may really judge what's happening on the ice... on a specific day

Oh I don't know that there's really anything to it - I just personally found it interesting. I would like to think that judges do judge based on what's on the ice, but as we clearly see in the numbers Mrs P gave us, what each judge sees is filtered through a personal lense that may skew their scoring. I think that's clear with the Serbian judge - he scored Jason substantially lower than the other judges did, and he scored Adam higher than the other judges did (actually maybe he was tied on one or two of Adam's scores, I don't remember). What was he looking for - or at - that others weren't? Same with the Aussie judge - her scores for Adam were clearly way out of line. So what was she seeing that others weren't?

As to which of the two skated better today, it's hard for me to say because my feed froze for both of them, and the clip posted for Jason isn't good quality so it's hard to tell if he was really as sluggish as he appears there. Adam does have an engaging quality and does a lot of things well but there are some things I don't love about his skating - among other things, his crossovers!

Not to be totally US-centric, I am really glad to see that Nam looks happier and is skating far better than he was even a couple of months ago. And I loved Elladj - I thought he was really underscored.

shirfire218

Spectator
Re: Jason's Quad So Close

Just went on a watching spree. Thoughts for my four men:

Jordan: Looking altogether more together than at this time last year, really fought to get the triple off that combo, and pleased he hung on for the level at the end. Love this program for him. Crossing fingers for 4CC TES minimum in the FS.

Andrew: Gorgeous. Love this program so, so much. Thought he probably got stiffed a few points here, they could have pushed that to 65+ IMBO. That 3Lz is like butter.

Jason: QUAD IS GETTING SO CLOSE! What resistance I had to this program is rapidly softening and melting, probably because he moves with such beauty and power through it. Can't wait to see what it'll score the day he hits that quad.

Brendan: I was afraid of how this idea might (not) work when the music was announced, but I am absolutely :love: over this program. Give it a little more time for him to get into it and it will be perfect. I noticed they've taken out the second quad for now, but I'm sure it will go back in. Gorgeous 4T and 3A.

Not Only is Jason's Quad so close...I've been at the venue all the last few days and he's been absolutely NAILING the quad in practice, including the SP program run through yesterday. Just beautifully done. I caught that one and another beautiful one from practice on vid....so it is NOT that he can't do them. I didn't know that until I saw it with my own eyes.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okey dokey, American men, well done.

I like peppy and I like sass and I like disco and Adam skated this disco program with sass. So interesting to read the Ice Network article that Adam deliberately skated quad less so he could go clean for the confidence boost. Taking peppy SP and clean and quadless from the Jason Brown playbook, I like!

But as my sainted grandmother would say, Jesus Mary and Joseph, that shirt!:scowl: Adam cut with the mesh already, you look like my grandmother....

And Jason took a chance on the quad, didn't work, but God help me, Sam Smith is grating less. Two flowy (still jonesing for Jason sass) programs, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Jason. :biggrin:

Ross, I love NY State of Mind when skated well, which you have done maybe twice? Please get it together.

Sean Rabbitt, always a crowd pleaser.

Need to see the rest, looking forward to Elladj ( a cover of Sounds of Silence, though?) and Mura's always questionable fashion choices:biggrin:

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not Only is Jason's Quad so close...I've been at the venue all the last few days and he's been absolutely NAILING the quad in practice, including the SP program run through yesterday. Just beautifully done. I caught that one and another beautiful one from practice on vid....so it is NOT that he can't do them. I didn't know that until I saw it with my own eyes.

May I take a guess from your screen name that you are the user who has been posting Jason practice vids online?

If so, many thanks!:bow: