Figure Skating Anime | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Anime

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
About the s2 talk.

The numbers are out and YOI has sold overall 50k copies in its first week; 35,453 BD and 14,513 DVD. These are pretty much insane numbers. It's going to be the most sold sports anime in history (which blows my mind negl) and second best of 2016, behind an old and very popular, established franchise. We're also talking Japanese numbers here too, though quite a number of people ordered with their address being international that does not count in the Oricon sales numbers and of course, we'll definitely get in the future those sold in the NA and European markets. In other words MAPPA is making a killing, s2 here we come.

gladiolusc

Medalist
I'd say the plot is beautifully, tightly designed. Two lines (one basically hidden until the end of ep 10, it's such a neatly pulled off twist. I would never have guessed.) happening at the same time, paralleled by the two programs :eek:

I hope S2 shows more training, day-to-day beyond the competitions though. Especially since we would have seen all the major characters' programs already - apart from Viktor's.

Rissa

Record Breaker
About the s2 talk.

The numbers are out and YOI has sold overall 50k copies in its first week; 35,453 BD and 14,513 DVD. These are pretty much insane numbers. It's going to be the most sold sports anime in history (which blows my mind negl) and second best of 2016, behind an old and very popular, established franchise. We're also talking Japanese numbers here too, though quite a number of people ordered with their address being international that does not count in the Oricon sales numbers and of course, we'll definitely get in the future those sold in the NA and European markets. In other words MAPPA is making a killing, s2 here we come.

Great news!

I hope they'll get good budget and good ideas and that s2 will keep the level of s1.

Meoima

Match Penalty
^^^

Actually, in my opinion, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood has outstanding animation throught its almost entire 75 episodes. I haven't seen much that topped it in terms of animation quality apart from cinematic releases.That show was as good as TV animation ever got. Attack on Titan had ver few low points, it was overall very high quality animation-wise.

Yuri!!! has its lows but it still on the high end - nice character designs, lots of beautifully animated places and interiors, some really action sequences. I imagine the bluray release will be better still.
Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the shell... are some old anime with great investment in music and design.
Mushishi is quite recent and the design/concept is beautiful too.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the shell... are some old anime with great investment in music and design.
Mushishi is quite recent and the design/concept is beautiful too.

CB and Mushishi are awesome! :luv17: I have not seen Ghost in the Shell, but it is generally praised by anime fans. But I agree as 90's kid that cartoons on Cartoon Network went bad both animation and plot wise. I miss Hanna-Barbera.

I'm glad YoI will have season 2, but I hope they will tone it down with crazy scores & placements. And please, no more Yuri wanting to break up with Victor because he feels unworthy or something like that.

Barb

Record Breaker
Wow, I has noted more and more YOI fans commenting in figure skating videos, this thing is crazy popular. Maybe now that first season finished, fans are missing it a lot and looking for comfort seeing real skating.

frida80

Record Breaker
Wow, I has noted more and more YOI fans commenting in figure skating videos, this thing is crazy popular. Maybe now that first season finished, fans are missing it a lot and looking for comfort seeing real skating.

I noticed that too!
I was watching Ashley's world performance, and noticed a lot of common are saying that YOI brought them there. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why they were just be coming. If they keep this up, we might actually get the Grand Prix streamed in the US for free for once.

Imagine

Medalist
I must say though, the skating music they use in this show, which I understand are all original compositions, are really good. Might have to get on the edit bandwagon at some point.

gladiolusc

Medalist
I must say though, the skating music they use in this show, which I understand are all original compositions, are really good. Might have to get on the edit bandwagon at some point.

I wish someone could put together an ice show with all the YOI programs XD It'd be pretty cool. Like you said, the music is awesome and Kenji did a really good job choreographing.

Imagine

Medalist

Well, it's good if it helps more people become fans of the actual sport, but then there are those..."special' individuals coming from this fandom who just irk me to no end. I swear, everytime I have to see those Yuri on Ice comments on YouTube (seriously go look...I'm not even exaggerating, they're on every single damn FS video) where they're all like "omg this show <3 <3 <3 omg i am so totally into figure skating now lyke was this really even a real sport before? I feelz lyke all these skaters nowadays are sooooo obviously inspired by nikolai victorinkov sama or w/e like ughhh who do they think they are? They will never be as kakkoii epic! I must immediately head over to the ice rink to learn all da quad saltoes and triple lutzles so I can express my passion too" it's like...no. Just...no. :palmf:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Well, it's good if it helps more people become fans of the actual sport, but then there are those..."special' individuals coming from this fandom who just irk me to no end. I swear, everytime I have to see those Yuri on Ice comments on YouTube (seriously go look...I'm not even exaggerating, they're on every single damn FS video) where they're all like "omg this show <3 <3 <3 omg i am so totally into figure skating now lyke was this really even a real sport before? I feelz lyke all these skaters nowadays are sooooo obviously inspired by nikolai victorinkov sama or w/e like ughhh who do they think they are? They will never be as kakkoii epic! I must immediately head over to the ice rink to learn all da quad saltoes and triple lutzles so I can express my passion too" it's like...no. Just...no. :palmf:

:laugh2:

Rissa

Record Breaker

Omg lol. I knew I made the right decision when I installed a youtube comment blocker, it spares me so much nerves...

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Resurrecting this thread in case anyone is interested.
This is the Yuuri nendoroid! They presented it today, apparently preorders start on march and it will be shipped in july. I don't know anything about the Viktor nendoroid, looks like Yuuri's the first to be finished and if i read one of the signs correctly, Yurio will get a nendoroid too (I will probably buy all three but if i only had to buy one it would be Yurio!)
There are three expressions,his normal hair, Eros hair, glasses, his phone and a katsudon bowl (lol)
Also, if you preorder it at the Good Smile shop i think you will get a Yuuri keychain...

Lenny318

On the Ice

My friend binge watched it in one night and then the next day asked me who were some of my favorite skaters so she could go watch them on youtube.

ETA

I haven't heard any news about a 2nd season aside from that the creator WANTS it to happen and honestly based on its popularity, it'd be foolish of them not to have a 2nd season. Since this doesn't have a manga counterpart where the story is already planned out for them to follow along with, maybe that's keeping them from officially announcing it.

Last edited:

berry8

Final Flight
OMG I have noticed this too! Japan influeces kids all over the World by anime!!
Some years I was badly into Naruto...
As i Child I used to watch Heidi and anna dai capelli rossi

Barb

Record Breaker

I was obsessed with ¨Dragon ball¨ and ¨Saint Zeiya¨. After that, I only watched ¨Nodame cantabile¨ :luv17:. I did not know Heidi was japanese.

Lenny318

On the Ice

My highlight of this past weekend was watching the new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie and I'm not ashamed to say that I LOVED it.

Lambari

Final Flight
My highlight of this past weekend was watching the new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie and I'm not ashamed to say that I LOVED it.

Flashbacks to my childhood, waking up at the middle of night without my parents knowing to watch Yu-Gi-Oh! marathons at Nickelodeon. I didn't even know that there's movies about it. I remember so little about the story, do you think I'll be lost watching them?

off topic, I know