2017 Europeans Ladies FS | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Ladies FS

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hey Sugarpova I am curious. What is your avatar?
Ivan Vasilievich Changes Professions with english subtitles:
http://youtu.be/m3xVdxDWFWU

I discovered this youtube channel thanks to my friends, just few months ago. It's a treasure chest of cinema classics. Almost all those oldies have a version with eng subtitles embedded. I usually sort those movies by popularity, pick one and then find the version with subtitles on the same yt channel. Some of them are kind cool. Especially those Tarkovsky movies. :)

Barb

Record Breaker
Maybe ISU is preparing the way to give to Evgenia the perfect score at olympics, and sell her as the Nadia Comaneci of figure skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She showed a more difficult content there...I agree that it wasn't right, but to say that Alina's PCS is a "joke" in my opinion can be used when a skater's skating is BAD, but hers is not.

I think it is very stupid of Medveda to do the extra combo -she would have set a bigger record had she not done that. She has tonnes of room to improve - the lutz and using the triple loop as a combo not to mention 3A or a quad.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
it is all proportional. Kostner doesn't deserve to be that close really with watered down content. Records shouldn't count. Every few years they change the rules and scoring system ie value of jumps, taking out elements etc. And the pcs have gone crazy since the new scoring sy stem began.

That's why the ISU doesn't actually count World records. They just refer to the highest ever scores. I believe the distinction is meant to acknowledge that.

bobbob

Medalist
I don't get the extra 3T, it's not like she's the only person in the world who can do a 2A+3T, but ok, won't ding her for doing it.

I agree that Evgenia's PCS were insane. They judges are maxing out, so they need to dial back on the 9s or else they will soon need a new scoring system for those who actually have amazing components, like a Carolina with better speed, consistency, and spins--that would be off the charts.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Welcome to Finland, Laurine. Most of the Finns love skaters like you. Skating like that, get ready for applause. Hope Hartwall Areena does not crash down because audience will get crazy.

Eislauf

On the Ice
Judges should've dinged her interpretation score... smiling during a program about terrorism is a huge mistake from an artistic point of view.

It's almost grotesque. There's an unsettling emotional disconnect between the tragic theme of her program and her smiling throughout, not to mention her joyfully bunny hopping on the ice immediately after her ending pose.

Last edited:

dailytg20

On the Ice
I tried to be open minded but after that whole "Life is Beautiful" kerfuffle, I completely blame Averbukh for this. Medvedeva is a bright-eyed talent with a youthful and happy energy. This choreo and subject matter is a complete mismatch.

Unfortunately if the judges aren't providing that feedback then there is no reason for things to change. Also she really is unmatched when it comes to combining technical ability and a competitive mindset--there's no competition right now so there is no pressure to shake things up.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's almost grotesque. There's an inappropriate emotional disconnect between the tragic theme of her program and her smiling throughout, not to mention her joyfully bunny hopping on the ice immediately after her ending pose.

What? This is absolutely STUPID. The program is over, she's allowed to be happy, especially when she skates so well. That is an absolutely ridiculous comment.

Eislauf

On the Ice
What? This is absolutely STUPID. The program is over, she's allowed to be happy, especially when she skates so well. That is an absolutely ridiculous comment.

I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are yours, but I'm not going to call other people's comments "stupid" or "ridiculous" because as adults, I believe we're all capable of mature intellectual discourse. Of course she's allowed to be happy, but when she's happy through the program, then ends with a dramatic expression of sorrow and quick as a switch starts jumping for joy only seems to reinforce the emotional inauthenticity of what she's attempting to convey. Dick Button has written about this - the importance of maintaining character the entire time one is on the ice, before, during and after the program. Watch Yulia or Josh's reactions after their Holocaust programs. They smile but maintain the appropriate emotional respect that the subject matters requires.

npavel

On the Ice
it is all proportional. Kostner doesn't deserve to be that close really with watered down content. Records shouldn't count. Every few years they change the rules and scoring system ie value of jumps, taking out elements etc. And the pcs have gone crazy since the new scoring sy stem began.
You should see Carolina live, it's another thing. She got the only real standing ovation. Her pcs should be higher than Medvedevas, in all but TR. Her performance was art in every single moment. Unfortunatelly you don't see it so well in TV, but live all agree

reneerose

Final Flight
Laurine I've just discovered. I think she has potential but she's so quick entry into her jumps she seems a bit hyped up...don't know if it was just because she was playing bad Sandy in Grease. The entries and exits out of her jumps just look not smooth and choppy....she could be technically much better I think. The costume change midway still makes me laugh. I think it's so cute. :laugh: I still love Carolina's artistry.

madison

Record Breaker
I'm entitled to my opinion, just as you are yours, but I'm not going to call other people's comments "stupid" or "ridiculous" because as adults, I believe we're all capable of mature intellectual discourse. Of course she's allowed to be happy, but when she's happy through the program, then ends with a dramatic expression of sorrow and quick as a switch starts jumping for joy only seems to reinforce the emotional inauthenticity of what she's attempting to convey. Dick Button has written about this - the importance of maintaining character the entire time one is on the ice, before, during and after the program. Watch Yulia or Josh's reactions after their Holocaust programs. They smile but maintain the appropriate emotional respect that the subject matters requires.

Yes, she has a superficial way of understanding of the music and of interpreting it. And it's not only with this free program, unfortunately :palmf:

elif

Medalist
I love Carolina Kostner very much but I can't understand cry about her PCS. She does simple double axel after series of crossovers and 2-3 seconds of delay before the jump. Actually she get away from Plushenko like Transitions score. She is very far away from ''perfect components example'' like some people try to sell.:rolleye:

da96103

Record Breaker
I think it is very stupid of Medveda to do the extra combo -she would have set a bigger record had she not done that. She has tonnes of room to improve - the lutz and using the triple loop as a combo not to mention 3A or a quad.

How would she have set a bigger record if she has not done the extra 3T? The score would be the same because the 2A is still counted.

She would have gotten a bigger record score if she had not done the first 3T of the 3F+3T. Then her 3T behind the 2A would be valid and have gotten an extra 0.43 points.

da96103

Record Breaker
I don't get the extra 3T, it's not like she's the only person in the world who can do a 2A+3T, but ok, won't ding her for doing it.

I agree that Evgenia's PCS were insane. They judges are maxing out, so they need to dial back on the 9s or else they will soon need a new scoring system for those who actually have amazing components, like a Carolina with better speed, consistency, and spins--that would be off the charts.

Only plausible explanation is she wants to practice the 3T tag as the last jump. If she removes the first 3T of the 3F+3T in the future, then she gets extra 0.43 points.

Non-plausible explanation is whether the judges get coerced to give her more PCS because she is doing 4 combos.

da96103

Record Breaker
That seems petty (to me) to suggest that judges should be docking points from a skater because they cracked a smile as they were skating. Do these judges understand Evgenia's interpretation so completely that they can add/subtract PCS off her facial expressions at any given moment? Does this program require that someone skate around from beginning to end with a frown on their face and a tear in their eye? Would that be worth extra PCS?

Well some people says Gracie should be docked for not smiling during skates.

So you cannot win, you get blamed if you smile, you get blamed if you don't smile.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There is absolutely no justification for you to use such words, or ever to belittle a fellow forum member who expresses his or her point of view.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
How would she have set a bigger record if she has not done the extra 3T? The score would be the same because the 2A is still counted.
She would have gotten a bigger record score if she had not done the first 3T of the 3F+3T. Then her 3T behind the 2A would be valid and have gotten an extra 0.43 points.

her last 2A was marked with the sign “+REP” and received only 70% of the base value. (as a repetition of a jump combination/sequence)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree. Medvedeva is very good at doing what she's told to do, performing the movements and attitudes that someone else has determined will best convey the emotions of the program, the music and the story. But as a rule, I also feel she's slightly removed or disconnected from her material. In my opinion, it doesn't seem to come from the inside out. In this particular performance, that disconnect became more apparent.