2017 Four Continents Ladies SP | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Ladies SP

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
The FS should be interesting. There's only a 1.75 point spread between 4th place and 1st place. A clean FS from Mihara or Tursynbaeva could seal the deal if Daleman and/or Osmond falter.

Oh yes, the eternal optimist! The world order is changing so hang on to your seat, chuckm!

Last edited:

da96103

Record Breaker
Is Mirai going to do the 3A in FS. It is YOLO time. Nothing to lose for her in this competition.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Is Mirai going to do the 3A in FS. It is YOLO time. Nothing to lose for her in this competition.

The men are YOLO'ing quads left and right this time around, so maybe we can expect some YOLO 3As too from the ladies!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Daleman and Mihara are FS-consistent. Osmond and Tursynbaeva are iffy in FS.

Mihara, pretty much. I'm almost ready to predict her the surprise winner here.

Daleman...eh, kinda. She does enough not to drop too far in the standings but she often has mistakes in her FS. At TDF she dropped from 2nd to 4th due to a weak FS. I do think she'll hold on for a medal though.

Elizabet can struggle but I think more than anything her PCS compared to the others is going to be what holds her back. Osmond can stack points with her first few jumping passes. She usually struggles in the second half, though she has been looking stronger in practice at this event.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Nice tech content from ET even though she is throwing in tanos like the Evgenia left and right simply for points. She has a juniorish look still though. She has had her Michelle Kwan makeover moment. The Canadians were okay; too bad about Osmond and her lutz and axel. The judging here is conservative but perhaps more what should be happening. I think Nagasu lost her moment -it was hers for the taking. Too bad about Chen and being sick. Bell I thought was solid considering all. No real outstanding programs tonite. Satoko, Evgenia, Carolina and I guess Anna don't have a lot to worry right now but remember Ashley will be at worlds and who knows about a healthy Chen.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
The men are YOLO'ing quads left and right this time around, so maybe we can expect some YOLO 3As too from the ladies!

YOLO! YOLO! I'm on the YOLO wagon :agree:

Nice tech content from ET even though she is throwing in tanos like the Evgenia left and right simply for points. She has a juniorish look still though. She has had her Michelle Kwan makeover moment. The Canadians were okay; too bad about Osmond and her lutz and axel. The judging here is conservative but perhaps more what should be happening. I think Nagasu lost her moment -it was hers for the taking. Too bad about Chen and being sick. Bell I thought was solid considering all. No real outstanding programs tonite. Satoko, Evgenia, Carolina and I guess Anna don't have a lot to worry right now but remember Ashley will be at worlds and who knows about a healthy Chen.

I forgot they said she was sick. Still though, this is her M.O. in the SP; she usually messes it up. Most of the time skaters can fight through the SP when they're sick b/c it's only 3 jumps. In the FS the stamina becomes an issue. So if she's that wiped out in the SP already, the FS is going to be terrifying. Maybe she should withdraw and go home and rest up for Worlds...

frida80

Record Breaker

I want to hear more Practice reports before I say for sure. But she landed it clean a few days ago, which she didn't do at nationals. If she was a tad bit lower, then it would be YOLO time. Now? I think it's 50/50.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Daleman...eh, kinda. She does enough not to drop too far in the standings but she often has mistakes in her FS. At TDF she dropped from 2nd to 4th due to a weak FS.

Gabby missed the podium due to slushy ice conditions which created havoc in takeoff/landings for a big jumper like Gabby, in favour of petite jumpers like Maria and Wakaba. Gabby's consistency is a strength of hers.

princessalica

Final Flight
YOLO! YOLO! I'm on the YOLO wagon :agree:

I forgot they said she was sick. Still though, this is her M.O. in the SP; she usually messes it up. Most of the time skaters can fight through the SP when they're sick b/c it's only 3 jumps. In the FS the stamina becomes an issue. So if she's that wiped out in the SP already, the FS is going to be terrifying. Maybe she should withdraw and go home and rest up for Worlds...

If she's till not recovered from the flu, I wish she had withdrawn and let someone else skate.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Gabby missed the podium due to slushy ice conditions which created havoc in takeoff/landings for a big jumper like Gabby, in favour of petite jumpers like Maria and Wakaba. Gabby's consistency is a strength of hers.

Gabby is consistently strong. And while she doesn't fall frequently she does tend to have errors that can cause her to lose points and not finish as high (double/single a jump, a hand down, bad landing, step out, etc.). I don't doubt she'll skate well but if it's close those little errors can make a difference.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Just watching the videos of the performances I missed. Gabrielle's saving that 3Lz with one of those famous 'Cricket Saving Landings Technique (tm)'.

And Elizabet brought the Eteri-school of jumping into 4CC, because we were all missing those Russian ladies here. Just kidding, I loved her program. So fun.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
For me personally I don't like her stick thin body type that makes her look like a little girl. Her face looks more mature, but her body hasn't kept up in that department. But I agree she sells that short program very well, looks fast and engaged and that's what matters and should be judged. It honestly baffles me that (and I swear I don't bring her up on purpose) Evgenia is, if we believe the judges, so far ahead and superior in everything she does. Because I do not see how all the other skaters are nearly 14 points behind, a number no other skater can match, even clean.

I don't understand and dislike that lowballing of Liz either :( Especially in SP this season that I love. Still she did really well in SP here and is in contention for 4CC championship and that's what counts first of all.

I don't know ... maybe it's something that is more visible live than on broadcast.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that 3rd spot for the US ladies looks like it's going bye bye. Gracie may have been a headcase but you count on her finishing in the top 4 or 5 along with Ashley. Those two got the 3rd spot back in 2013 and kept it for the next 3 seasons at Worlds but i don't see any other US Lady that going to finish high enough to help out Ashley. Gracie isn't an option since i bet she's not even training right now.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that 3rd spot for the US ladies looks like it's going bye bye. Gracie may have been a headcase but you count on her finishing in the top 4 or 5 along with Ashley. Those two got the 3rd spot back in 2013 and kept it for the next 3 seasons at Worlds but i don't see any other US Lady that going to finish high enough to help out Ashley. Gracie isn't an option since i bet she's not even training right now.

Are you talking about the third spot at 4CC? The event our best skaters tend to ignore. Well...you get what ya get. Worlds hasn't happened so obviously we can't be talking about that. Until we send our best skaters to 4CC I won't care if we only have one spot TBH.

Gracie is training in Canton I thought?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you talking about the third spot at 4CC? The event our best skaters tend to ignore. Well...you get what ya get. Worlds hasn't happened so obviously we can't be talking about that. Until we send our best skaters to 4CC I won't care if we only have one spot TBH.

Gracie is training in Canton I thought?

No the 3rd spot for the Olympics and Worlds next year.

burntBREAD

Medalist

In what world is Wakaba Higuchi a "petite jumper"? Her jumps are quite massive, particularly considering her small physical size + young age.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
In what world is Wakaba Higuchi a "petite jumper"? Her jumps are quite massive, particularly considering her small physical size + young age.

In a world that compares her jumps to say Gabby, Kaetlyn or a Liza, they pale in comparison.

Last edited: