2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
The good thing about Anton is that he's tall and strong enough to not lose his wits in the lifts, and of course to not be hidden behind her, because he just can't. But there's a long way to go for him in the step sequences, his turns are just so shallow and weak right now...

bramweld

Record Breaker
I see Elena and Anton as a work in progress. :) I like how he presents Elena. He's not OTT but he's not a wall-flower (ala Ruslan in their early partnering days). However, it's really apparent that Elena is doing most of the work at the moment. She's the one that's basically dragging him everywhere. Still, I can't wait to see how they grow together.

Actually that might be a conscious choice for the SD as he was very nervous before hand, but in the FD he is noticeably much more confident and he leads her. The real issue is that technically as Zhulin has said she is the closest thing to perfection. It took her two months to get to that level of performance, only two months. So yeah, I'd need to give Anton a bit more room to breathe. But he comes to the table with his own strengths and I like that. Let's see how they do.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Yes, he lifts her good. I didn't like the descend from the curve lift, too rough, but maybe it was just a mistake and they'll do better next time. The problem is that Elena is very high bar, so to speak, and it will be extremely difficult for Anton to come close to matching her. He didn't even match Davankova's skills, and that's saying something. But maybe I'm too pessimistic and he will sky rocket in his abilities, who knows? The difference between them is too glaring now, besides it wasn't even competitive full performance... But I still think she should have gone for some talented junior ice dancer who's not as wooden as Anton, maybe even from different country.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Yes, he lifts her good. I didn't like the descend from the curve lift, too rough, but maybe it was just a mistake and they'll do better next time. The problem is that Elena is very high bar, so to speak, and it will be extremely difficult for Anton to come close to matching her. He didn't even match Davankova's skills, and that's saying something. But maybe I'm too pessimistic and he will sky rocket in his abilities, who knows? The difference between them is too glaring now, besides it wasn't even competitive full performance... But I still think she should have gone for some talented junior ice dancer who's not as wooden as Anton, maybe even from different country.

Actually I share some of your thoughts but I don't find him wooden but just very elegant and balletic, understated. I actually found him much more interesting than Davankova. But in all fairness to get a better estimate of his abilities you'd have to take a look at the work he did with Zhulin. He's not bad per say and I find them compelling to watch they'll just need time.

But more importantly I'm interested to see how this all pans out years down the road.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Actually I share some of your thoughts but I don't find him wooden but just very elegant and balletic, understated. I actually found him much more interesting than Davankova. But in all fairness to get a better estimate of his abilities you'd have to take a look at the work he did with Zhulin. He's not bad per say and I find them compelling to watch they'll just need time.

But more importantly I'm interested to see how this all pans out years down the road.

I take it their goal is 2022. I think a lot will depend on how other teams will do. If Loboda/Drozd's team will continue to self destruct them, Nikita will continue to throw his tantrums, then they definitely have a shot. I don't see Popova/Mozgov or any current junior teams as their real opponents, especially if what I heard about Shpilevaya/Smirnov is true. But Anton is really really need to work, I've heard that he's a hard worker. He needs to work day and night, and when other teams rest too. My concern is also Elena's motivation, she looks very motivated right now, and I'm so glad to see that, I just hope she will not step down when she'll see their first results or something like that. Anyway russian ice dance drama is full on, never gets boring :biggrin:

What we know about Ruslan's status? Is he really continuing, or is it false rumour?

Barb

Record Breaker
I take it their goal is 2022. I think a lot will depend on how other teams will do. If Loboda/Drozd's team will continue to self destruct them, Nikita will continue to throw his tantrums, then they definitely have a shot. I don't see Popova/Mozgov or any current junior teams as their real opponents, especially if what I heard about Shpilevaya/Smirnov is true. But Anton is really really need to work, I've heard that he's a hard worker. He needs to work day and night, and when other teams rest too. My concern is also Elena's motivation, she looks very motivated right now, and I'm so glad to see that, I just hope she will not step down when she'll see their first results or something like that. Anyway russian ice dance drama is full on, never gets boring :biggrin:

What we know about Ruslan's status? Is he really continuing, or is it false rumour?

OMG, what did you hear? :(

Marta25

Medalist
Russia has a very deep field in junior ice dance. Hopefully, one or two can survive the move up to Seniors. Which brings me to the point... What is going on with Shpilevaya/Smirnov? :(

Giselle

Medalist
What's the rumor about Shpilevaya/Smirnov :(

There's so much talent in junior right now, Russia will probably have 4 teams in the JGPF :

Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV
Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO
Anastasia SHPILEVAYA / Grigory SMIRNOV
Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN

Maybe Ksenia KONKINA / Grigory YAKUSHEV also.

Plus some talented JGP medalists Elizaveta KHUDAIBERDIEVA / Nikita NAZAROV and Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The news about s/s must be shared! Hoping it's them moving to dubreil. While that may offend some Russian skating elites and they might be punished at nationals maybe they will accept a Russian team of s/s potential being coached by a non Russian in Canada.

Ender

Match Penalty
My biggest question is, why Russian dance teams still struggle with packaging?

Barb

Record Breaker
The news about s/s must be shared! Hoping it's them moving to dubreil. While that may offend some Russian skating elites and they might be punished at nationals maybe they will accept a Russian team of s/s potential being coached by a non Russian in Canada.

it would be good news, but Snow63 is suggesting that there are bad news.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Russia has a very deep field in junior ice dance. Hopefully, one or two can survive the move up to Seniors. Which brings me to the point... What is going on with Shpilevaya/Smirnov? :(

The problem is none of them seem to make any significant headway as Seniors.

It's a big problem.

gmyers

Record Breaker
it would be good news, but Snow63 is suggesting that there are bad news.

It could be bad news if they were punished for being coached by a non Russian outside of Russia.

I hope b/s get a new coach immediately! Lost tech to parsons team.

Barb

Record Breaker
It could be bad news if they were punished for being coached by a non Russian outside of Russia.

I hope b/s get a new coach immediately! Lost tech to parsons team.

omg, it won´t happen, we are in the olympic season already. And the Parsons are good technically.

gmyers

Record Breaker
omg, it won´t happen, we are in the olympic season already. And the Parsons are good technically.

It has to happen! They can't lose tech to a team that just debuted in seniors! They must call an emergency meeting and immediately find a new coach who knows ijs can get them high levels. They are the number one Russian team for 7 years and can't lose to a team so new it's not even ranked in seniors! New coach should happen immediately.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
It has to happen! They can't lose tech to a team that just debuted in seniors! They must call an emergency meeting and immediately find a new coach who knows ijs can get them high levels. They are the number one Russian team for 7 years and can't lose to a team so new it's not even ranked in seniors! New coach should happen immediately.

:laugh2:

Sometimes I wonder how these things come up in your head, and how they make sense before you type them. Oh well. Nothing new to see here.

gmyers

Record Breaker
:laugh2:

Sometimes I wonder how these things come up in your head, and how they make sense before you type them. Oh well. Nothing new to see here.

It's common sense! How can go b/s go forward? They lost tech to a first time competing in seniors team. They need to be like parsons and find coaches who know ijs and know to read the isu manuals that tell you how to get level 4 elements.

Barb

Record Breaker
It's common sense! How can go b/s go forward? They lost tech to a first time competing in seniors team. They need to be like parsons and find coaches who know ijs and know to read the isu manuals that tell you how to get level 4 elements.

they are new in seniors but they are not a babies. They are 19 and 21 yo, they were competing together for many years and they were winning in juniors.

gmyers

Record Breaker
they are new in seniors but they are not a babies. They are 19 and 21 yo, they were competing together for many years and they were winning in juniors.

And they are automatically better than b/s according to judges? 7 time Russian champions Olympic gold medalists, world bronze medalists? This means b/s is a broken team and needs massive help and new coaching.