2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of Russian Ice Dance

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Have you seen anything from the Parsons from the past two seasons (or this past season at least)? They were already noted for their skating skills and the fact that they probably skate the closest in hold out all ice dance teams competing right now.

gmyers

Record Breaker
:confused:

The Parsons won TES because they got more level 4s, but they were several points behind in PCS (as they should).

http://www.kraso.sk/wp-content/uploads/sutaze/2017_2018/20170921_ont/CSSVK2017_IceDance_SD_Scores.pdf

(Have you actually watched the skates yet?)

B/s should have the coaching to get level 4's too. It's bad they don't. Not even on the twizzle. Why didn't b/s get level 4 on the twizzle? Unacceptable. Even p/m can get level 4 on the twizzle. It's why b/S desperately need new coach. Maybe b/s need to switch to Rumiantseva. I watched but i can only see level 3 where there should be level 4.
Have you seen anything from the Parsons from the past two seasons (or this past season at least)? They were already noted for their skating skills and the fact that they probably skate the closest in hold out all ice dance teams competing right now.

I did see plenty of them in Jr Grand Prix and because that's so fresh and them being Jr is so recent to me their defeat of b/s is so much bigger! So much more of an extreme emergency.

nimi

Medalist
^ It's early season. B/S got all level 3 or 4, not a single level 1 or 2. They also avoided negative GOEs in all of their elements and got a lot of +2s (even a couple of +3s there). I just don't understand what's so alarming here to you? Where are the teams that get all level 4s at all competitions all the times, even in the early season ones? (I don't think even V/M can manage that feat...)

Barb

Record Breaker
Or maybe is a Nepela thing. I remember when Shibs lost to G/P and Coomes/Buckland in 2015 :disapp:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
B/s should have the coaching to get level 4's too. It's bad they don't. Not even on the twizzle. Why didn't b/s get level 4 on the twizzle? Unacceptable. Even p/m can get level 4 on the twizzle. It's why b/S desperately need new coach. Maybe b/s need to switch to Rumiantseva. I watched but i can only see level 3 where there should be level 4.

Do you actually know why they got a level 3 on the twizzles? Or do you even know what it takes to achieve a level 4? There's all this talk of moving to another coach, and now you say Rumiantseva, because of course she's doing a fantastic job with Alla and Pavel. Their twizzles, when executed right, are worthy of level four and high GOE, as they've been getting for the past seasons. And in the SD they were the only team to actually get a level 4 on the pattern - which in comparison to the non-touching steps doesn't seem to earn that much points, but that's how it is.

Also, all this talk about the Parsons is almost offensive to them, like they can't be able to work hard and produce high level skating. It's not like they are kids - and for a little comparison, at the Parsons' age P/C won their first world title, after a tremendous season, regardless of what happened with the other teams.

Giselle

Medalist
USHAKOVA/NEKRASOV just beat SKOPTCOVA/ALESHIN in the FD in Minsk.

Russian Junior Nationals is going to be a bloodbath :drama:

Marta25

Medalist
Bobrova/Soloviev are fine, IMO. The last thing they should want is being too ready in September. Programs need to grow over the whole season.
Anyway, Ushakova/Nekrasov just posted the highest TES in the FD in Minsk. And they are only 15 and 16. Wow! Definitely a team to watch.

madison

Record Breaker
Bobrova/Soloviev are fine, IMO. The last thing they should want is being too ready in September. Programs need to grow over the whole season.
Anyway, Ushakova/Nekrasov just posted the highest TES in the FD in Minsk. And they are only 15 and 16. Wow! Definitely a team to watch.
Maybe, but I don't like their program. They really look juniorish and skated mostly separated.

starla16

Medalist
I say the current russian ice dance juniors this season are very promising and very good in technical skills with good basics.
while Loboda / Drozd don't have good skating skills and Shipivelaya / Smirnov have low levels, the younger kids are much better.

Schevcenko / Eremenko, Konkina / Yakushev and Ushakova / Neksarov are very good.
I like Ushakova's personality she's a little firecracker like Elena, cant believe she's only 15, and they beat C/P in Techs

Their FD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM9sYjsqU7g

starla16

Medalist
Maybe, but I don't like their program. They really look juniorish and skated mostly separated.

the important is the basics, look at their skating skills, they can generate speed so they don't get hit on low levels and they are capable of innovative transitions and lift variations. Ushakova/Nekrasov and Sevcehnko/Eremenko are very good technically. Konkina / Yakushev also but Konkina is lower level compared to Yakushev but she is still better than the senior Stepanova.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Do you actually know why they got a level 3 on the twizzles? Or do you even know what it takes to achieve a level 4? There's all this talk of moving to another coach, and now you say Rumiantseva, because of course she's doing a fantastic job with Alla and Pavel. Their twizzles, when executed right, are worthy of level four and high GOE, as they've been getting for the past seasons. And in the SD they were the only team to actually get a level 4 on the pattern - which in comparison to the non-touching steps doesn't seem to earn that much points, but that's how it is.

Also, all this talk about the Parsons is almost offensive to them, like they can't be able to work hard and produce high level skating. It's not like they are kids - and for a little comparison, at the Parsons' age P/C won their first world title, after a tremendous season, regardless of what happened with the other teams.

I do know why they got a level 3 and I do know what it takes to get a level 4. It's all written in really specific detail in the isu manuals on ijs. So for b/s to go to an event and lose to the parsons is unacceptable and it's proof that many Russians are not reading the ijs manuals that tells everyone how to get what! It's almost like you are saying b/s to conserve energy chose level 3 elements! But why would they do that? Now they have lost to the parsons.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
A lot of top teams have trouble hitting level 4s consistently especially early on. Look at Hubbell/Donohue's levels at U.S. Classic on their twizzles, no touch, pattern, etc. They got a level four on the rhumba, but they were one of four teams to do so back in 2012 Worlds with Davis/White not being one of those teams. Even Tessa and Scott didn't do it at 2012 Four Continents.

madison

Record Breaker
the important is the basics, look at their skating skills, they can generate speed so they don't get hit on low levels and they are capable of innovative transitions and lift variations. Ushakova/Nekrasov and Sevcehnko/Eremenko are very good technically. Konkina / Yakushev also but Konkina is lower level compared to Yakushev but she is still better than the senior Stepanova.
Ohh, I think that the majority of the top Russian junior teams have good skating skills.
Hitting the levels is not necessarily connected to the skating skills, I think.:confused:
From the current batch of juniors, I like the most Shpilevaya/Smirnov, I think that besides skills they have something unique, they have charm. I'm curious to hear the rumour about these 2.
I also like Shevchenko/ Eremenko, but in their case, I think she still has work to do to catch him.
Konkina was really good with his former partner, Reviya, they had star quality together, and I think that now that she grew up they would have looked lovely together.

starla16

Medalist
Ohh, I think that the majority of the top Russian junior teams have good skating skills.
Hitting the levels are not necessarily connected to the skating skills, I think.:confused:
From the current batch of juniors, I like the most Shpilevaya/Smirnov, I think that besides skills they have something unique, they have charm. I'm curious to hear the rumour about these 2.
I also like Shevchenko/ Eremenko, but in their case, I think she still has work to do to catch him.
Konkina was really good with his former partner, Reviya, they had star quality together, and I think that now that she grew up they would have looked lovely together.

well in step sequences they need to hit patterns and it needs control and good skating skills, I always wonder though Shpilevaya/Smirnov have good skating skills but they get hit on low levels. I think this is more of a coaching issue. Konkina is only 16, I'm kind of worried their partnership wont last, her former partner Reviya was much taller but I hear Konkina and Yakushev are a real couple so that could play if they are motivated.

madison

Record Breaker
well in step sequences they need to hit patterns and it needs control and good skating skills, I always wonder though Shpilevaya/Smirnov have good skating skills but they get hit on low levels. I think this is more of a coaching issue. Konkina is only 16, I'm kind of worried their partnership wont last, her former partner Reviya was much taller but I hear Konkina and Yakushev are a real couple so that could play if they are motivated.

Yes, Konkina would look better with someone taller. I think she will stay together with Yakushev. They still have one year as juniors besides this one.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
USHAKOVA/NEKRASOV just beat SKOPTCOVA/ALESHIN in the FD in Minsk.

Russian Junior Nationals is going to be a bloodbath :drama:

Very true. I assumed coming into this season that we'd be seeing S/A and S/S at junior worlds for sure, but I see now that isn't necessarily true.

So far seven different Russian teams have medalled on the JGP (second event in brackets):

Polishchuk/Vakhnov — 1st in Brisbane (Italy)
Shevchenko/Eremenko — 1st in Latvia (Croatia)
Skoptcova/Aleshin — 2nd in Belarus (Poland)
Shpilevaya/Smirnov — 2nd in Latvia (Italy)
Konkina/Yakushev — 2nd in Austria (Croatia)
Ushakova/Nekrasov — 3rd in Belarus
Khudaiberdieva/Nazarov — 3rd in Brisbane (Poland)

U/N had a higher score than K/N with the same placement, so maybe they'll get switched. Maybe not. Anyways, that's a lot of depth.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I do know why they got a level 3 and I do know what it takes to get a level 4. It's all written in really specific detail in the isu manuals on ijs. So for b/s to go to an event and lose to the parsons is unacceptable and it's proof that many Russians are not reading the ijs manuals that tells everyone how to get what! It's almost like you are saying b/s to conserve energy chose level 3 elements! But why would they do that? Now they have lost to the parsons.

No. Just no. That's absolutely not what I said - it's like you didn't even see what happened for them to lose a level on the twizzles. And they lost on the TES to the Parsons, not overall. Alas, we are going in circles right now, and you don't seem like you want to actually talk about anything other than coaching changes and who's the worst russian ice dancer.

gmyers

Record Breaker
No. Just no. That's absolutely not what I said - it's like you didn't even see what happened for them to lose a level on the twizzles. And they lost on the TES to the Parsons, not overall. Alas, we are going in circles right now, and you don't seem like you want to actually talk about anything other than coaching changes and who's the worst russian ice dancer.

I know why. They didn't change edges clearly enough or at all and it's awful.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Even with the music miscue its hard for me to see B/S getting above 70 points for that performance, so there is cause for serious concern. In no way does that compare to what H/D did a week ago. When I consider the creativity and class coming out of the Gadbois camp, I am just bewildered for the Russians. Can no one help Bobrova with controlling her frame? It leaves a lot to be desired with Soloviev looking so sharp. IMHO, they should have taken a more fun, comical route, because their SD is getting laughs at times for all the wrong reasons. How can they end the dance with such a sloppy lift and questionable final pose? Really? I shudder to think how they will be perceived in the light of the others that we haven't even seen. :(