2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
All that is for sure right now is that Daria Panenkova has a spot in this week's jgp. I'm really not looking forward to seeing her... my least favorite of all the talented Russian girls; she was further proof to me that no one will try to emulate Carolina or Sasha or Mao .....but I'm excited about the other Russian skater that as of now is unknown. Who will the federation choose?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I also think Daria is not in the same league as Trusova and Tarakanova, even when she skates clean. The other girl, Alena just suddenly popped up in the discussion and has already gathered a fan base (or she had a fan base for a long time I just didn't know). I never noticed her before and now wonder how many students Eteri coaches.

All that is for sure right now is that Daria Panenkova has a spot in this week's jgp. I'm really not looking forward to seeing her... my least favorite of all the talented Russian girls; she was further proof to me that no one will try to emulate Carolina or Sasha or Mao .....but I'm excited about the other Russian skater that as of now is unknown. Who will the federation choose?

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I also think Daria is not in the same league as Trusova and Tarakanova, even when she skates clean. The other girl, Alena just suddenly popped up in the discussion and has already gathered a fan base (or she had a fan base for a long time I just didn't know). I never noticed her before and now wonder how many students Eteri coaches.

Not a fan of Daria at all. I'm currently a fan of Alena (just from those two videos, which were first posted here a few weeks back). In particular, I enjoy many of her spin positions, and I like how in the SP she holds the spiral and the Ina Bauer just a little bit longer than the other girls who also do a million busy transitions.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Does anyone know when the Poland JGP entries will be absolutely complete and no changes can happen anymore?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I am so happy that Samodurova went on to win what she deserved. She was simply buried by the judges last season at the JGP Japan. She is a quite consistent skater, I think she will have a bright future in skating.

tjb

Match Penalty
Because what they're doing right now is ugly. They don't even try to emulate the long held lines and good posture of former skaters.

and mao had an amazing lines and posture at 14? wow, you are so kind to young skaters

tars

Record Breaker

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

First these new skaters are so talented that they need to develop their own style instead of emulating someone else, second figure skating is much more complex now than it was during their era.

I like Panenkova, she's more a technical skater of course but i like her jumping technique and all her jumps have difficult transitions in and out.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
and mao had an amazing lines and posture at 14? wow, you are so kind to young skaters

It's so funny because i remember Mao at the time was always considered to be a jumping machine and not an artist.

Also her ice coverage wasn't nowhere near as good as some of these new skaters.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Because what they're doing right now is ugly. They don't even try to emulate the long held lines and good posture of former skaters.

LOL at you expecting 13 and 14 year olds to look like Asada or Kostner at their peak.

I get whiplash trying to read this thread. Some people complain the Russian girls are all the same, with ugly lines and robotic skating, others complain because they are all so different and want them all to be carbon copies of the type they prefer. How about acknowledging that they are all individuals with different styles, strengths and weaknesses, and not bashing those who don't fit into your little box of what a perfect skater should look like?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Why should they try to be like former skaters? They're their own person and skaters. It's not up to them to be the next Carolina, Yuna, or Mao just because some fans miss the olden days of skating. You could say that Carolina, Yuna, or Mao could have tried to use more transitions and more complex elements and programs. If these girls like what they're doing and succeeding based on it I don't see why on earth they should change. Besides, ugly is subjective. I find the skates of the younger skaters as beautiful and practiced, and the skates of girls such as Carolina, Yuna, and Mao as more boring and typical.