2017 GP Cup of China Mens SP | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Cup of China Mens SP

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The GOEs for Kolyada's lutz are a hilarious example of this sport's terrible rulebook. HOW is it allowable that half of the judging panel cannot agree on the application of the preceding steps rule? I don't even mind the ruling either way -- it's the lack of decision that's ludicrous. Could they make it any more obvious that it is a "waive this rule if you want to boost this skater" type of deal.

Agreed. That 4Z was absolutely stunning but it should have gotten wayyyy lower GOE for the very obvious lack of preceding steps. The judges should know better than this.

Congrats to him for an amazing SP though!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Kolyada! That score, that Lutz! Woah! Where was that at Rostelecom? He could've won the Home GP. Or not. I mean, I'm pretty nervous about the long program, I'm not sure he will be able to constantly skate clean programs like this and the long is another story.

Javier: Noooo...noo...why? I'm feeling really down, I wanted him to win this thing! Not all is over with that score, he can still do it, but I wonder what exactly was the problem? Why these stupid mistakes? That doesn't exactly bode well, and I really do hope he can make it to the final!

Boyang: I still love that Soundtrack and dislike that program. If you ask me, he should return to Spiderman. His Component score can be higher if he would engage more. I believe this is a step backwards for him. I really want to see him at the GPF, and he still has every chance to make it so, good luck.

Keiji was good and I think he's probably the one that should go to the Olympics. Compared to Mura this was so much more convincing, especially if he has an injury. Or why did he withdraw at CoR?

All in all it was an entertaining event. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Don't you remember that infamous hug the judge gave to Sotnikova at Sochi?

There was an American judge who did the same at Worlds 2016 after Mirai Nagasu's fs right in your face at the KnC.

Conflicts of interest, but there you have it.

Agreed. That 4Z was absolutely stunning but it should have gotten wayyyy lower GOE for the very obvious lack of preceding steps. The judges should know better than this.

Congrats to him for an amazing SP though!

To be fair Vincent Zhou does the exact same thing with his solo 4F, so Kolyada wasn't the same who had this "advantage", i wonder if they count a turn as steps.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kolyada! That score, that Lutz! Woah! Where was that at Rostelecom? He could've won the Home GP. Or not. I mean, I'm pretty nervous about the long program, I'm not sure he will be able to constantly skate clean programs like this and the long is another story.

Interestingly - though not surprisingly - Kolyada's PCS at Rostelecom SP was actually higher with just one quad attempt - and a poor one at that.

Here with two quads including a lutz, his PCS was about right.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
There was an American judge who did the same at Worlds 2016 after Mirai Nagasu's fs right in your face at the KnC.

To be fair Vincent Zhou does the exact same thing with his solo 4F, so Kolyada wasn't the same who had this "advantage", i wonder if they count a turn as steps.

But Zhou fell on his quad flip so there is no way of knowing how the judges would have scored it. But yes, his also should get dinged for lack of steps... well, not lack of steps, so much as a bit of a break before his 4F... he still had some tricky turns leading up to it.

Seems like only 2 judges actually did their job when it came to Kolyada's lutz.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Interestingly - though not surprisingly - Kolyada's PCS at Rostelecom SP was actually higher with just one quad attempt - and a poor one at that.

Here with two quads including a lutz, his PCS was about right.

So if Kolyada had skated his CoC skate at CoR he would've...broken Yuzuru's world record score??? :eeking:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
So if Kolyada had skated his CoC skate at CoR he would've...broken Yuzuru's world record score??? :eeking:

Not with that TES (WR is 64+ TES). But his GOE might have actually been higher too there so who knows!?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I dont get why Mikhail got 1.57 goe for 4Lz but 2.43 for a pretty average 3A

It's been mentioned in the thread. Some judges applied the lack of steps before the solo jump to his 4Lz. Others were more lenient. So his total GOE was a mix. Judges agreed more on the GOE for his 3A.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
But Zhou fell on his quad flip so there is no way of knowing how the judges would have scored it. But yes, his also should get dinged for lack of steps.

Seems like only 2 judges actually did their job when it came to Kolyada's lutz.

Oh yes totally forgot that he fell.

Am i wrong or lack of steps should be reduced by 3?

Though it's still confusing what is defined as steps, because i see many skaters doing a couple of turns on their solo 4s or 4f, and those to me are hardly considerable as steps.

I dont get why Mikhail got 1.57 goe for 4Lz but 2.43 for a pretty average 3A

Lack of steps on the 4ltz (the solo non-axel jump has to have steps going in).

He has a great technique on the axel.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Not with that TES (WR is 64+ TES). But his GOE might have actually been higher too there so who knows!?

I was just kidding, xeyra. Thing about Kolyada is, he will be a contender if he consistently delivers, but I am not very confident in him. He certainly has the goods, and I think Europe should be very happy that he's had a wonderful outing like this, because I think the future of men's skating looks seriously bleak at the moment. I almost hope Javier continues after the Olympics.

gioccia

On the Ice
Oh boy... that 4Lutz from Kolyada was out of this world... I mean I've replayed it so many times.... No way anybody's else's 4Lz is worth as much as that Lutz....It should have been +3. I sometimes feel sad that Liza's lutz and Kolyada's lz do not get the GOE they deserve. they are on a league of their own.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
For 4Lz of KOLYADA , J3 and J9 gave GOE+3 while J2 and J6 gave GOE 0.
I think that it is strange that the judge 's judgment is divided on the requirements requested by the SP.
I think that Technical Controller should decide whether or not he fulfilled the requested requirement and he should mark some sort of thing.
I think that it is better for the technical controller to judge whether or not the requested matter is satisfied like the edge judgment.

I think the performance of KOLYADA of today was wonderful.
But why do Russian people put completely different music between Mozart - Piano Concerto?
Tuktamysheva also did it last year.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Oh boy... that 4Lutz from Kolyada was out of this world... I mean I've replayed it so many times.... No way anybody's else's 4Lz is worth as much as that Lutz....It should have been +3. I sometimes feel sad that Liza's lutz and Kolyada's lz do not get the GOE they deserve. they are on a league of their own.
The jump itself was +3 quality, but also deserved -3 for NO STEPS AT ALL.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Just reminds me of Ashley eaerly days when she would struggle withe SP and have to play catch-up in the FS (heck she did that at SC). So far Vincent hasn't really hit on the SP (and at Jr. Worlds he was OTP before coming back to win) but if he does his Finlandia FS here, he should move up).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Who was that? I can't imagine an American judge giving Mirai a hug. Instead of hugs, they should give her fair PCS.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I was just kidding, xeyra. Thing about Kolyada is, he will be a contender if he consistently delivers, but I am not very confident in him. He certainly has the goods, and I think Europe should be very happy that he's had a wonderful outing like this, because I think the future of men's skating looks seriously bleak at the moment. I almost hope Javier continues after the Olympics.

If Kolyada gets over some of his issues and keeps on delivering more and more, maybe it isn't quite so bleak. Dmitri Aliev is also very promising, if he can deliver in the future. Which is good, because Europe will need them. We'll see how Mikhail does tomorrow in the FS and if he keeps his wits about him.