2017 GP NHK Ladies SP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Ladies SP

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Poor edgework, poorly executed toe jumps and tiny axels with poor ice coverage, poor musicality, cheated loops that the tech controller somehow overlooks, gimmicky miming and bent-over posture is something common to most of the "great" Russian skaters of this era. I am Russian and I am ashamed that the federation is using cheap tricks like tanos, rippons, backloading, and cramming of elements to compensate for the lack of true skating quality and lyricism, softness, and flow.* Those are all things I enjoyed so much from the era of Mao and Yuna (and Carolina, when she wasn't a political pawn - now her programs aren't as good but are getting comparable or better PCS due to veteran status). These skaters and their true, un-politically-motivated rivalry and constantly evolving programs are forever etched into the history of the sport. They have stood the test of time beyond puberty, body change, injury and illness - and even a post-Olympics comback after 2 years off competition in the case of Yuna. We have yet to see any post-2014 skater to do the same thing. You can fool yourself, the judges, the tech controller, people on these boards, etc - but you cannot fool history. ;)

*Note: just because you skate to lyrical and soft music doesn't automatically mean you have good posture, flow, and/or time your step sequences to the tempo and note changes.

OMG I so love this post!!!

da96103

Record Breaker
The CBC commentators said that we the audience should take a bathroom break in the first two minutes of Alina's FS because "nothing happened".

Oh my, the shade that can protect Caribbean countries from hurricanes. They must have learnt it from Dick Button.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Some random thought.
Do you know why the commentators can casually say and think that Polina T, or Zagi can beat or actually is better than Med.
While in fact Med is the only absolutely dominator in ALL figure skating disciplines right now, Why don't they has as much as the appreciation/respect of Med's dominance as it appears.
Because they know Med's tech or artistry really is NOT that special and dominating in terms figure skating. As long as they(I mean, ISU, feds, or whatever) wish, they can pop up whoever they want to take over Med, and it won't be a problem cos people won't mind too much.
But in reality I think that won't happen tho, still think Med is the lock for OGM (more than any other disciplines).

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Another interesting thing may happen in OG tho
is if ALL top ladies are clean including Med, and Med win gold with the huge margin she has right now.
What people will say about that, what OG casual viewers will think.
That would be interesting.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ah..almost forgot...the 3A. The message is clear, no one cares about the 3 A anymore. Liza and Mirai land them, but no one cares. Too bad.

I care about the triple axel. I was thrilled the year that Liza Tuk won everything and did her 4-triple short program. and I think other people (and the judges) will care too if Mirai continues to do it and can do it without it impacting the rest of her program.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The CBC commentators said that we the audience should take a bathroom break in the first two minutes of Alina's FS because "nothing happened".

Actually they said "nothing happened jumping-wise." But it's more dramatic if you cut it off mid-sentence.

Purv

Match Penalty
Some random thought.
Do you know why the commentators can casually say and think that Polina T, or Zagi can beat or actually is better than Med.
While in fact Med is the only absolutely dominator in ALL figure skating disciplines right now, Why don't they has as much as the appreciation/respect of Med's dominance as it appears.
Because they know Med's tech or artistry really is NOT that special and dominating in terms figure skating. As long as they(I mean, ISU, feds, or whatever) wish, they can pop up whoever they want to take over Med, and it won't be a problem cos people won't mind too much.
But in reality I think that won't happen tho, still think Med is the lock for OGM (more than any other disciplines).

Yes,because almost noone cannot understand why her score is so high and it doest reflect what we see on the ice. Dominating of particular skater is ONLY a judges ' whim

Fruitpie

On the Ice
because almost noone cannot understand why her score is so high and it doest reflect what we see on the ice. Dominating of particular skater is ONLY a judges ' whim

But FS really is a strange sport. I can't understand what's so special about Evgenia. I pazzled how Meryl Davis with her skating skills can be an Olympic champion in dance. The biggest mistery in the world is how Shin Amano always ignored Satoko's URs. And so on. I recommend relaxing.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I can't for the life of me figure out the meaning of Polina's hand gestures; it's the kind of choreography that I think would look random on a lot of other skaters, but she makes it look beautiful and purposeful. It is like she is casting some dark enchantment over the ice. A real actress!
I enjoy it too, I don't know why but when Evgenia is miming / making gestures thing it's annoying & boring me but when Polina does it ... it turns into different quality for me. The thing is though that Evgenia makes it 3rd season in a row so I guess that also has negative influence on my perception. ''Light of The Seven'' is a magical program for sure.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am sad judges keep punishing Alena as if she were a pre teen who barely made it into the seniors. Her programs are always nice to watch, as she has nice interpretation skills. When jumps are on she is a gorgeous skater. She is not on par with the big guns like Evgenia, Alina, Polina, still it is wonderful she is still skating at a quite good level for so many years.
On the other hand, Evgenia gets good GOE even for that scratchy axel. This judging in figure skating needs a revolution.

icybear

Medalist
Why did Polina kept pinging her hand? Is it some GoT reference? Aside from that I think she has the best jumps of the Russian ladies. Her 2a speed and distance was beautiful

Purv

Match Penalty
Why did Polina kept pinging her hand? Is it some GoT reference? Aside from that I think she has the best jumps of the Russian ladies. Her 2a speed and distance was beautiful

Yes, and she seems more mature debuting in seniors then Evgenia after 3 years.Ok, 2,5

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am sad judges keep punishing Alena as if she were a pre teen who barely made it into the seniors. Her programs are always nice to watch, as she has nice interpretation skills. When jumps are on she is a gorgeous skater. She is not on par with the big guns like Evgenia, Alina, Polina, still it is wonderful she is still skating at a quite good level for so many years.
On the other hand, Evgenia gets good GOE even for that scratchy axel. This judging in figure skating needs a revolution.

Exactly, I thought she had the best SP this year out of all the Russians. But never got the respect.. too creative, original and experimental or not Russian enough perhaps. (Which would be really silly way to mark someone down).

The feds definately play their favs, and you can always see in the reshuffling of PCS positioning every year, and this is really bad for skaters who care about development and work hard towards it, but it may not show up on their PCS at all. At least you can tell it is Bollywood.

For me as a fan of this sport, I think the importance of a high quality program should be placed above skaters reputation/federation interests. If you are able to work hard deliver a thoughtful and well realised great program for the ages, it should outlast COP trends. Some of my fav programs may not receive the accolades, but I still remember them quite fondly, and it is because I do, I remember the skaters.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
PCS & SP = the ultimate cushion. Basically, even if Med misses an entire jump combo in the FS, she is SO far away from the next best FS skater (Sotskova) that she will still win. I wish the SP and LP were independent events. Furthermore, skaters get low PCS "just because" they get placed in the first SP group. Skaters shouldn't get sky-high PCS just for being in the sport long enough - otherwise, we can have Michelle Kwan skate the same program as Carolina at Rostelecom and expect equal marks. ISU should randomize SP order, take off their seniority-preference glasses, and stop these crazy PCS cushions and GOEs warranted by the name only. It is becoming a disgrace to the sport and its core values.

And whoever said that the skating was worse pre-2014 is kidding themselves. Poor edgework, poorly executed toe jumps and tiny axels with poor ice coverage, poor musicality, cheated loops that the tech controller somehow overlooks, gimmicky miming and bent-over posture is something common to most of the "great" Russian skaters of this era. I am Russian and I am ashamed that the federation is using cheap tricks like tanos, rippons, backloading, and cramming of elements to compensate for the lack of true skating quality and lyricism, softness, and flow.* Those are all things I enjoyed so much from the era of Mao and Yuna (and Carolina, when she wasn't a political pawn - now her programs aren't as good but are getting comparable or better PCS due to veteran status). These skaters and their true, un-politically-motivated rivalry and constantly evolving programs are forever etched into the history of the sport. They have stood the test of time beyond puberty, body change, injury and illness - and even a post-Olympics comback after 2 years off competition in the case of Yuna. We have yet to see any post-2014 skater to do the same thing. You can fool yourself, the judges, the tech controller, people on these boards, etc - but you cannot fool history. ;)

*Note: just because you skate to lyrical and soft music doesn't automatically mean you have good posture, flow, and/or time your step sequences to the tempo and note changes.

I'm so bored by these lazy / inaccurate comments just to bash russian skaters casually, because you pretend to be a fan of this sport and you don't even know that are so many other russian skaters outside Zagitova, Medvedeva or Sotskova who don't have tanos or rippons, who actually has great skating skills and musicality, flow on their jumps,...

Have you even watched this competition? because Polina Tsurskaya has a flawless jumping technique: Huge height and distance and flow just like the canadians, a correct outside edge on the lutz (unlike basically all the top skaters), a huge axel technique, no tanos, rippons,... and she is coached by Eteri too.

Medvedeva earned everything she got so far, she will be remembered even 50 years from now for what she has achieved,especially if she wins the Olympics. So deal with it! :)

If you want to troll at least bring some good points.

#FakeNews

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Oh my god, how good was Polina? Just when I thought she couldn't possibly get better, she manages to blow me away.

Such expressiveness and such clean rotations! Perfect performance.

Purv

Match Penalty
I'm so bored by these lazy / inaccurate comments just to bash russian skaters casually, because you pretend to be a fan of this sport and you don't even know that are so many other russian skaters outside Zagitova, Medvedeva or Sotskova who don't have tanos or rippons, who actually has great skating skills and musicality, flow on their jumps,...

Have you even watched this competition? because Polina Tsurskaya has a flawless jumping technique: Huge height and distance and flow just like the canadians, a correct outside edge on the lutz (unlike basically all the top skaters), a huge axel technique, no tanos, rippons,... and she is coached by Eteri too.

Medvedeva earned everything she got so far, she will be remembered even 50 years from now for what she has done, especially if she wins the Olympics. So deal with it! :)

What a bad trolling.
DO you remeber any girl who skated 50 years ago? :eeking: I dont think so

you re nasty becasue you re die hard fan of someone and cannot accept reality- many people are bored. I dont think that Evgenia will be remembered in 50 year in any special way- she will be remebered as one of the skaters who got gold medal, thats all, and maybe being the first who got started all backloading stuff.I wouldnt say that she earned it. And yes you right , there are so many russians skaters who got better great SS, musiclaity , flow on their jump then top 3 russian girl now

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
you re nasty becasue you re die hard fan of someone and cannot accept reality- many people are bored. I dont think so that Evgenia will be remembered in 50 year in any special way- she will be remebered as one of the skaters who got gold medal, thats all, and maybe being the first who got started all backloading stuff.I wouldnt say that she earned it. And yes you right , there are so many russians skaters who got better great SS, musiclaity , flow on their jump then top 3 russian girl now
Nasty?

moriel

Record Breaker
DO you remeber any girl who skated 50 years ago? :eeking: I dont think so

you re nasty becasue you re die hard fan of someone and cannot accept reality- many people are bored. I dont think that Evgenia will be remembered in 50 year in any special way- she will be remebered as one of the skaters who got gold medal, thats all, and maybe being the first who got started all backloading stuff.I wouldnt say that she earned it. And yes you right , there are so many russians skaters who got better great SS, musiclaity , flow on their jump then top 3 russian girl now

Actually, im sure people here can list more than a few skaters from 50 years ago.
Lets start with Sonja Henie

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I thought they looked weird and the fact that she seldom emotes made them even look stranger. I saw no relationship for them to the music. What was that little thing she did with her nose at the beginning, and, of course, the cameras went in for a close up? lol

That's exactly what I thought. Sigh. Like, okay, people want me to express something, so here you go. It was the nose thing that actually made me think she forgot that the camera would have her on close-up, and she was just trying for deep breaths and it went awry.

And I agree with someone who said that her faces at the end must have scared children in the arena. To what end? Has nothing to do with musical intent. Big Sigh.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
you re nasty becasue you re die hard fan of someone and cannot accept reality- many people are bored. I dont think so that Evgenia will be remembered in 50 year in any special way- she will be remebered as one of the skaters who got gold medal, thats all, and maybe being the first who got started all backloading stuff.I wouldnt say that she earned it. And yes you right , there are so many russians skaters who got better great SS, musiclaity , flow on their jump then top 3 russian girl now

the first line doesn't make any sense. (i'm nasty because of what?)

What is the reality? The reality is that Medvedeva won every event of the past two years, as much as you hate her, that's a fact!

Consistency is a quality in figure skating, there are so many successful "boring" consistet skaters if you look back.

Katarina Witt was an average skater, and yet she won everything including two Olympics.

If you don't like a skater just don't watch her, i don't understand the point of going here to throw shades against the russian skaters with inaccurate facts just for the sake of trolling.