2017 GP NHK Ladies SP | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Ladies SP

Fruitpie

On the Ice
For how smartly she amasses points under this system despite flawed technique and weird lines? Maybe. But then it'll be all irrelevant if the scoring system changes in the future.

Beatrix Schuba won because of compulsory figures. Carolina won her first world medal thanks to qualification (and lost in both SP and LP to Kwan). Does their medals not count? Did you forget about those ladies? What's your point?

snd

On the Ice
so i'm not a fan of mirai nagasu but...

MIRAI MIRAI MIRAI MIRAI MIRAI

before we got her scores, i went to rewatch her program even though i hate that awful violin rendition of chopin's most overrated nocturne. i had to. it wasn't a mere girl skating but a superheroine. she ended up being the only one i rewatched. going for that axel is superhuman - liza knows it's not very rewarding points-wise. these two deserve all the respect and admiration for going for it anyway. and that i-spin!

that was a great skate. and a great performance.

ps. i like carolina's program. but i don't understand the score she received here. i just don't.

Kinga

Medalist
Polina was fantastic, I think she is my favourite Russian lady. The program is pure and enjoyable, without gimmicks, just right amount of emoting.
She feels the music and is genuine in her expression. She flies across the ice, has nice lines and posture. No way she is 5 points worse than Carolina (they should score about the same), or 10 points worse than Evgenia... I really hope she makes it to the Olympics!

I absolutely loved Satoko's choreography. .. She is so gorgeous on ice!! The program suits her to a T.I wish Higuchi, Mihara and Miyahara could go to the Olympics. .. :sad21:

I thought that Mirais 's preparation to 3A was shorter than before and I liked her program. I dislike the dress, however.

Evgenia's program was ruined for me by voice overs and the heart beat. So unnecessary! The program is so good without this nonsense. Why does her team always comes up with something weird? Otherwise, I think that Evgenia's positions in spins could be improved. I have similar concerns about her posture (which is OK, but not stellar ) and that some of her movements are unfinished. Somehow it is not reflected in PCS though...

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
She always believes in her programs and good for her. Maybe they don’t work for everyone but I’m sure she doesn’t lose any sleep over it. I loved her wacky Junior program where she portrayed the pressure she felt to become a classical skater and when she would go to sleep at night she dreamed that she could became a contemporary devil on the ice. She turned into like this robot devil during the StSeq and it was awesome!! If you haven’t seen it check it out. I time stamped it right before the she goes into the transformation.

https://youtu.be/G9wSxrr2CE4?t=1m22s

For bonus points watch her take the final bow :laugh2:
I had never seen that before [emoji4]. Thanks for sharing.
You know, made me feel like crying and had me smiling ear to ear at the same time.
Strange and brilliant creature. Too good for this world.
That final bow! So funny and audacious.
I like baby Emmi Peltonen at the beginning too. [emoji16]

mrrice

Record Breaker
Actually, im sure people here can list more than a few skaters from 50 years ago.
Lets start with Sonja Henie

I certainly can since I'm really old.....Here's what I can say about the comments regarding skaters from fans. The words may have changed but...The cattiness has always been there. ;) Even before the internet ( Yikes ) if you go back and watch some of the old broadcasts, you'll hear it.

I think Peggy said something like "Ew......I don't like her skating" I believe she was referring to Trixie Shuba.

Purv

Match Penalty
Polina was fantastic, I think she is my favourite Russian lady. The program is pure and enjoyable, without gimmicks, just right amount of emoting.
She feels the music and is genuine in her expression. She flies across the ice, has nice lines and posture. No way she is 5 points worse than Carolina (they should score about the same), or 10 points worse than Evgenia... I really hope she makes it to the Olympics!

I absolutely loved Satoko's choreography. .. She is so gorgeous on ice!! The program suits her to a T.I wish Higuchi, Mihara and Miyahara could go to the Olympics. .. :sad21:

I thought that Mirais 's preparation to 3A was shorter than before and I liked her program. I dislike the dress, however.

Evgenia's program was ruined for me by voice overs and the heart beat. So unnecessary! The program is so good without this nonsense. Why does her team always comes up with something weird? Otherwise, I think that Evgenia's positions in spins could be improved. I have similar concerns about her posture (which is OK, but not stellar ) and that some of her movements are unfinished. Somehow it is not reflected in PCS though...

Pcs of Polina are so low coz she skated in first group. I believe tomorrrow they will got her higher ones, the same was with Alina

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'm cool with that. She chooses unconventional music, and not warhorses where everyone already knows what the program/interpretation is all about.

So they're bound to need some explanation or some insight into her approach to the programs.

Except she is not telling anything related to the music, but some unrelated story she made up, treating every piece of music like some garnish. Like parsley. A dish doesn't become a better dish just because you put a strand of parsley on top, take it out, still makes no difference. It is still the same dish.

I find your criticism to be unfair. Zhenya's new SP speaks to me beyond language. The addition of her interpretation of it makes it more intriguing to me, not less.

Abstract vs narrative/literal storytelling is two different things. Evgenia's piece, like everything she's done up until the ANNA KARENINA program, is abstract. The difference is actually that some audience members need the story to make sense of them. There's nothing wrong with that, but this kind of work will rarely appeal to that audience member.

Oh deary me. The only thing that is abstract about her skating is her PCS, and the theme is Russia #1

Please don't confuse abstract with distraction confusion. Abstract art are are created purposefully in relating to a particular well-defined concept, or something new. Her programs are totally COP cop out and essentially basically the same program with different background music to the same performance, to the point they had to make up unlikely stories to give it credibility. It is deeply hilarious when it is the only thing that seems to justify her PCS. The stories and the delivery are so emotionally or intellectually apart or even just plainly dishonest.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Exactly. So having read Anna Karenina in the original language, I am having a hard time actually feeling anything related to the story from Med's open mouth throughout the entire AK program. In the current program, she skates to different music but she uses the same exact expression on her face and the same type of step sequence as in the AK program.

An example of a skater executing the abstract musicality you are talking about well is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2xjUQWPsPY (incidentally also a Nocturne).
I will rewatch Mao's program later because I'm about to get my hair cut. [emoji6]

Mao is unimpeachable and brilliant. But you must agree that Zhenya takes far more risks conceptually in building her programs, no? My point is that if people don't "understand the meaning" of her work (ie, "what it's about"), and want to criticize it for that reason, perhaps it's a question of the lens that it's being interpreted through. And I don't think that's a fair critique.

Personally it moves me deeply with or without an explanation. But, clearly you have a very different reaction. Bottom line, Zhenya is doing Zhenya, and that's what's important.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Oh deary me. The only thing that is abstract about her skating is her PCS, and the theme is Russia #1

Please don't confuse abstract with distraction confusion. Abstract art created purposefully in relating to a particular well-defined concept, or anti-establishment idea. Her programs are totally COP cop out and essentially basically the same program with different background music to the same performance, to the point they had to make up unlikely stories to give it credibility. It is deeply hilarious when it is the only thing that seems to justify her PCS. The stories and the delivery are so emotionally or intellectually apart or even just plainly dishonest.

Well, that's a deeply cynical point of view in my opinion!

Everything in her program seems developed around the concept of either the moment of death/birth or the liberation of the spirit from the body. This is actually abstract art. Again, to each his own, but what's your argument that this is not abstract, conceptual performance?

Purv

Match Penalty
I'm cool with that. She chooses unconventional music, and not warhorses where everyone already knows what the program/interpretation is all about.

So they're bound to need some explanation or some insight into her approach to the programs.

Zhenia choses unconventional music?? Chopin is unconvenional? it is warhorse actually, with all respect to chopin, but still her chopin is teribble( my opinion) yuzuru chopin was masterpiece . HE felt that music, he pointed out every note of the music..and zhenia?the moment when she raises her arms with open mouth was comical. My BF almost choked coz he was drinkin water. As Os says she does nothing with this music, she just make s up the story. But figure skating is not about that

halulupu

Final Flight
can someone please tell me how it is possible that tsurkaya has such sublime jump technic while medve a lets say medicore one with the same eteri?

Purv

Match Penalty
can someone please tell me how it is possible that tsurkaya has such sublime jump technic while medve a lets say medicore one with the same eteri?

That because they have the same coach ,doesnt mean that they have the same abilities.Every skater has own body and technic.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

Anna Karenina (which is a character piece) and Chopin are unconventional? Say what?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I will rewatch Mao's program later because I'm about to get my hair cut. [emoji6]

Mao is unimpeachable and brilliant. But you must agree that Zhenya takes far more risks conceptually in building her programs, no? My point is that if people don't "understand the meaning" of her work (ie, "what it's about"), and want to criticize it for that reason, perhaps it's a question of the lens that it's being interpreted through. And I don't think that's a fair critique.

Personally it moves me deeply with or without an explanation. But, clearly you have a very different reaction. Bottom line, Zhenya is doing Zhenya, and that's what's important.

Her movements have nothing to do with the death/rebirth or liberation. Why? Because if she had not explained the meaning, we wouldn't even know it's there! Furthermore, they are all the same movements just to different music. This again does not quite add up accoridng to your interpretation. In contrast, if you take any of Mao's/Yuna's programs, they actually have footwork, step sequences, and facial expressions that are different from each other in different programs.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Actually, im sure people here can list more than a few skaters from 50 years ago.
Lets start with Sonja Henie

Sonja Henie's Olympic days were almost 80 years ago.

Skaters from 50 years ago would be of the Peggy Fleming/Janet Lynn era.
Seems like yesterday to me :laugh2:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her movements have nothing to do with the death/rebirth or liberation. Why? Because if she had not explained the meaning, we wouldn't even know it's there!

This doesn’t even make sense. It’s not about you...sometimes you just have to see things from a perspective that isn’t your own to understand it. Of course it was there...you just didn’t know it was. It didn’t exist once you learned about it......it existed all along. #DeepThoughts #DeepInternetz

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Except she is not telling anything related to the music, but some unrelated story she made up, treating every piece of music like some garnish. Like parsley. A dish doesn't become a better dish just because you put a strand of parsley on top, take it out, still makes no difference. It is still the same dish.

What would you suggest her to use movements related to death? Fall multiple times and land on her belly? or like Marin Honda stabbing herself at the end of R&J? Or draw a coffin in the air?

Purv

Match Penalty
Her movements have nothing to do with the death/rebirth or liberation. Why? Because if she had not explained the meaning, we wouldn't even know it's there! Furthermore, they are all the same movements just to different music. This again does not quite add up accoridng to your interpretation. In contrast, if you take any of Mao's/Yuna's programs, they actually have footwork, step sequences, and facial expressions that are different from each other in different programs.

Exactly , those people shoould watch zhenias last short program and from previous year.And compare step sequences.They re very similar, music is similar, and she doesnt do nothing to let people distinguish them.No characteristic movements,figures,steps , just she raises her leg above with open mouth.Even her dresses ar e only pretty dresses And watch Yunas Danse MAcabre and Bond. YOu dont have to be fan of her but theres no way to make mistakes which program is which. Everything is different

^ But then, too, I always enjoy the "program notes" that they pass out at the theater. I often can't figure out what's going on without them.

Purv

Match Penalty
What would you suggest her to use movements related to death? Fall multiple times and land on her belly? or like Marin Honda stabbing herself at the end of R&J? Or draw a coffin in the air?

So its about death or isnt ? Some people here says that it is about something different.
.No she doesnt has to do movement related to death, because that music is not about death!!!She /they made a story who has nothing to do with the music, why makin up the story when you dont know how to portrait it? Who told them to use any music for a death topic? They didnt succed anyway, coz her chore is very common.