2017 GPF Men's SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Men's SP

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This.

I am a Nathan uber and I'm a little unsettled that he seems to be fighting through the jumps rather than letting them flow. The blade issue at Skate America and the strange body language I got from Raf unnerve me right now. It suggests to me that something is afoot, but I hope it is just me being overdramatic as an uber. I hope he can put it together tomorrow, though. A win would make him a real challenger for the top but I expected him to be 2nd from the beginning.

I didn't quite know what to make of Raf's remark, although I wondered if he meant it in the sense of "I'm proud of you for being such a fighter" and commending his hard work. And now I have to stop because I'm splitting hairs and making myself crazy! :biggrin:

Shandy

On the Ice
:eek:topic:

All the talk about food toward the beginning of the thread made me very hungry, and I searched to see if there were any Russian or Polish restaurants in the area and discovered "Russian Banya" restaurant/spa. What an interesting concept! I'll have to go try it and eat EVERYTHING!

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I can't believe some people still found it in themselves to go hate on Hanyu and his fans at an event where he was not and in a forum where his fans have been mostly gone and very low-key for the past 8 months. Way to go guys.

Fine event, I will re-watch Jason and Shoma to see the nuances of their programs better. Kolyada... I had no faith he was going land that lutz and I was right

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
At this point, barring disaster at Nationals, or if Max Aaron skates lights out, and I mean the BEST he's ever skated, the top three men have presented themselves for the US.
Vincent has the tech capability to beat Jason and Adam, but he hasn't been consistent, at all.

Doesn't matter if Vincent nails it at nationals.... or Max as you say. US 2nd and 3rd olympic guys are still in the blue, and that's very exciting, although I have my favorites.

Skate well tomorrow all 6!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason is available for a master class. Apparently Nathan needs to join the master class with the junior men. ;)

Ach, the junior men; I love them, but those spins.:roll9:

And hey, if the spins were *that* easy, everyone would be doing them. Nathan has improved by leaps and bounds, (see I can give props) but *that* SP the best of all the men this year? The height of musical artistry and expression? No, I certainly can't go there.:noshake: Not even the best among the men with "Hey I can do a bunch of quads" PCS boost.

I need to see good spins, people!:laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ Yeah, I'm definitely not taking anything for granted. Jason could have an NHK Trophy-esque performance and open the door for someone to come through, just like Sergei Voronov, Adam and Alexei Bychenko did then.

And sickness happens. I suppose that's what having a body of work is for, but the scores are such where I still think it's Nationals or bust.

Ach, the junior men; I love them, but those spins.:roll9:

And hey, if the spins were *that* easy, everyone would be doing them. Nathan has improved by leaps and bounds, (see I can give props) but *that* SP the best of all the men this year? The height of musical artistry and expression? No, I certainly can't go there.:noshake: Not even the best among the men with "Hey I can do a bunch of quads" PCS boost.

I need to see good spins, people!:laugh:

The TES box was gold for Jason -- seeing those +GOE on his elements made it crystal clear where his points come from. (Alhtough I guess we can now fight over GOE now...lol)

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is there ever controversy over Jason Brown's miming? (Just noticed it tonight and I was curious because I know miming is a constant flashpoint on the forum.)

No, because Jason doesn't mime.

Next question. :biggrin:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No, because Jason doesn't mime.

Next question. :biggrin:

Jason does a lot of gestures in the program. But is that miming? Besides, I don't think it's miming that's an issue, but that they're done in excess and in every program.

I don't see Jason doing the gestures of his Hamilton program in future programs....

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
Posted by kevinVchicago View Post
Is there ever controversy over Jason Brown's miming? (Just noticed it tonight and I was curious because I know miming is a constant flashpoint on the forum.)
Jason does a lot of gestures in the program. But is that miming? Besides, I don't think it's miming that's an issue, but that they're done in excess and in every program.

I don't see Jason doing the gestures of his Hamilton program in future programs....

You're right, he adds a lot of gestures which become details in the execution of the intricate choreography. This is actually more difficult to do while moving at such speed across the ice.

My problem is with the skates that come to a virtual stop with the hands and face doing the "work" to create feeeeliiings.... :sarcasm: a little is fine, but not for a break or to kill time.

I really prefer it when skaters try something different but difficult.

That said, I really hated it when he snapped his suspenders for Juke, that got into mugging territory, so even gestures/details need to stay classy.

I really wish Jason will tackle a heavyweight like 4 Seasons or Vangelis with a poker face to showcase his exquisite expressions and his range.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^ I feel like that's what his free skate is. It's a completely different program from Hamilton. I get some people think it's Piano 2.0, but I personally don't see it that way. It sounds like he's gotten more of an idea of what he wants from that program though and I hope we'll see some positive differences with that ownership. (including :crossfingers: a not crazy costume)

qwertyskates

Medalist
^ I feel like that's what his free skate is. It's a completely different program from Hamilton. I get some people think it's Piano 2.0, but I personally don't see it that way. It sounds like he's gotten more of an idea of what he wants from that program though.

It is one of my favourite of Jason's LPs, but I wish he will pick something more abstract, thrilling and energetic next time for SP that doesn't evoke a Broadway or any type of twee character, shrugging, pointing, caressing the neck, etc. to show he's all grown up and sophisticated. Shoma is smart to go straight for sophistication beyond his years. Jason of all skaters should be able to do it!:agree:

And yes, please....Jason has one of the worst costumes, only better than Kolyada's.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It is one of my favourite of Jason's LPs, but I wish he will pick something more abstract, thrilling and energetic next time for SP that doesn't evoke a Broadway or any type of character. He of all skaters should be able to do it!:agree:

You liked the Sam Smith program last year because of that, IIRC? I have to credit Jason for helping me like a program that involve a singer I absolutely despise.

I wouldn't mind if he went back to something classical.

qwertyskates

Medalist
You liked the Sam Smith program last year because of that, IIRC? I have to credit Jason for helping me like a program that involve a singer I absolutely despise.

I wouldn't mind if he went back to something classical.

No, no, the one I thought was his best is "The Scent Of Love" by Michael Nyman. I would like to see Jason up his game for SP too, get Rohene Ward to do a piece like Chariots of Fire. :love:

Something that is very emotional without needing miming, gestures, etc but pure beauty of energy and movement.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No, no, the one I thought was his best is "The Scent Of Love" by Michael Nyman. I would like to see Jason up his game for SP too, get Rohene Ward to do a piece like Chariots of Fire. :love:

Something that is very emotional without needing miming, gestures, etc but pure beauty of energy and movement.

You mentioned that in the ID thread too -- you're really wanting someone to do a program to that song.

Anyway, it does seem a lot of people DO like the Hamilton program -- I prefer the free skate myself, but I appreciate the SP and feel he had a really great performance of it today.

Leelee425

On the Ice
I’m just watching the short programs now (couldn’t wake myself up for them, they started at 1:30 in the morning here and I was coming off a 12 hour day shift).

But I agree on the Jason comments, I’d love to see him do an energetic short without a Broadway or movie or other specific character reference. I don’t know that I would have chosen Hamilton for him in an Olympic year, he clearly loves it which always helps sell the performance but I’m thinking he would have been better going with something more traditional and having Hamilton as an exhibition instead.

Just watched Adam too, I’m so happy for him that he’s managed to come back strong after his injury last year. I love his free program and would love to see him make the Olympic team after being passed over for Sochi. Voronov next, I like his sp a lot too, hoping he comes out and crushes it.

qwertyskates

Medalist
You mentioned that in the ID thread too -- you're really wanting someone to do a program to that song.

Anyway, it does seem a lot of people DO like the Hamilton program -- I prefer the free skate myself, but I appreciate the SP and feel he had a really great performance of it today.

I recently met an expert music technician on filmscores who had worked with one of the technicians of Vangelis so it suddenly struck me no one has ever skated to this even in an Olympic year, or ever. :laugh:It is such a special piece, Vangelis did it for his Olympian father. Everyone is always looking for an Ace music to mark a special year. I'd rather a beautiful skater skate to this though, to do it justice.