2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 91 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
A thousand times this. I can say this since I have little investment in the ladies:

1. Who cares what an international judge would score them? Is this an international comp?

2. Who cares whether they can medal at the Olys? Can Diana Nikitina medal? Does that mean Latvia won't send her?

3. Who cares which skaters are staying home from other countries? So it's the US ladies' fault that they got the job done and got three spots? And that countries have been limited to three spots since like forever?

Like, what does any of this have to do with US Nats?:scratch2:

Diana Nikitina is the only skater from Latvia to go. She isn't there to win, she's there to build excitement for the sport in Latvia. Much like Tomas Verner or Roca/Sur did in their countries.

stella luna

Final Flight
Bradie's PCS did nothing for me. She is sort of like being in Nathan's position before the artistry was more developed. I think they should send Mirai, Karen, and Ashley, with Mariah as an alternate.

The long-time problem with U.S. figure skating: Favorites are built up so much they expect to be entitled and then they rest on their laurels, for years.

As far as Bradie goes, when someone skates two clean programs back to back, without mugging for the camera like a silent film star and shaking her moneymaker in a skimpy costume, and manages to do the job strictly on her skating ability ... I think it's refreshing. Because in the end it's about the skating. Go, Bradie!!! :cheer:

singerskates

On the Ice
Do any of you who have commented on the last to or three pages figure skate? From what I saw, Ashley was over marked in the PCS marks in her FS. She should have been marked lower than Starr. Starr was absolutely clean and had good jumps. Starr was cleaner than Karen Chen in the FS and should have been 4th overall.

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
I like Ashley, but she didn't do it. Again.

As far as I'm concerned, the top three go. Period.

There will be hell to pay with the "social justice warriors" if a minority is bumped off the team for Ashley a second time.

I know there would be reasons figure skating fans may understand (the World medal, the endorsements, etc.), but it just looks bad to the general public. I can see the students in my school making a big fuss over it, if it gets covered negatively in the media. Which it will.

Let Mirai and Karen go. Ashley blew it. She singled a salchow.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The announcements tomorrow will be a riot in here. And not the good kind... :dev2:

I think we get overly invested with the skaters and even our opinions. :laugh:

Thank god we saw one or two clean performances though.. what a messy affair !

Braddie my be the real deal....maybe not ....but we'll see. Should be fun to watch her. Nice to have confidence and not feel terrified someone is gonna two foot/UR/look terrified/ etc.. though.

Bummed for Mariah.....she was amazing and that fall did not hurt her performance one bit. Her and Zhenya with those giggling axel fails :love: Oh well....she's still looking good to go for a few more years. She's my favorite American by far. Bonehead errors and all.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I thought RusNat inflation was shameless..

They should probably inflate more at RN based on this mess to reflect reality.

I try to ignore these comments but after I count ten I engage one....sorry :p

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
NBC are probably not happy campers. Ashley was the face of US figure skating for the last four years. So I see them pushing these two narratives at least: Mirai as Comeback Queen. Bradie as New Girl Wonder with her tech skills and consistency.

But Karen? What possible narrative can you push for her? Certainly no major advertisers rushed up to sign her up this past year. That's pretty telling.

Well I didn't expect much out of the American women this Olympics and sad to say, I won't have my expectations disappointed!

TCAngel18

Medalist
Diana Nikitina is the only skater from Latvia to go. She isn't there to win, she's there to build excitement for the sport in Latvia. Much like Tomas Verner or Roca/Sur did in their countries.

Roca/Sur skated for America 😏.

Perhaps you are thinking of Rahkamo/Kokko, who were actually competitive, finishing 4th in Lillehammer, and 2nd at the 95 world’s.

Lissy

Medalist
I do have to say that the Olympic committee still left it too vague. Each placement at the specific competitions should have had a quantifiable score. Ie 4th place at worlds the year before being 15 points. With 4 place at worlds the year before being worth 5 points (because it’s not the most recent year). And the selection should be 2 full years of competitions. 2016 Nationals to 2018 Nationals. Every placement having a score with the most recent year being the most weighted. This way, add up the totals. No way of fighting what happens.

Amei

Record Breaker
The long-time problem with U.S. figure skating: Favorites are built up so much they expect to be entitled and then they rest on their laurels, for years.

As far as Bradie goes, when someone skates two clean programs back to back, without mugging for the camera like a silent film star and shaking her moneymaker in a skimpy costume, and manages to do the job strictly on her skating ability ... I think it's refreshing. Because in the end it's about the skating. Go, Bradie!!! :cheer:

She was skating Cinderella pretty sure no one can shake their moneymaker to that music :laugh2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Everyone who is here to rub salt in the wound should gtfo.

And byeeeeeeeee to the Bradie haters. She never had a senior GP until this season. She struggled with injuries in the past. She's from a non-brand-name coach and she clearly doesn't have top tier choreography. But the girl can jump and spin as well and as consistently as the Russians and Japanese, with better transitions than other US ladies. And hit those level 4s.

As if US Nationals were the first to have inflation for certain skaters over others. Consistent skaters get fabulous PCS internationally even when, in an objective vacuum, they aren't THE BEST EVERRR. USFS is simply following the trend. I don't blame them - like fans, they are frustrated with inconsistent skaters and skaters who can't rotate their jumps.

And bless Bradie, she's past puberty, which is also in her favor. Let's see how she fares under the pressure cooker at the Olympics and get her working with Shae-Lynn or Jeff Buttle next season.

Benoit Richaud who did her LP is a top notch choreographer. So I don't want to hear anything about her not having a good choreographer, then again it's not the choreographers problem when the skater isn't musical or good with said choreography, she's a jumper. That's about it.

rlopen

On the Ice
Another delusional tweet. She came back here, she would be where Vivian is. She cannot even do a double lutz anymore.

Wow...that's a little rough don't you think? She said she wants to start a come back...and who knows? Maybe she could do triples again look at Polina getting at least some triples back. God that's just harsh.

skatefan17

On the Ice

I agree with this RE: Bradie. I don't see how anyone here could dislike what she offers US figure skating. She was amazing in person when I watched her in practice this week. Unflappable.

I also think the doubters forget she scored over 200 at her first ever Grand Prix. Judges will give her higher marks as she becomes known.

notonmylife15

On the Ice
What absolutely ridiculous statement. She got two undeserved underrotation calls (including on her amazing Triple Lutz, which is totally baffling) and undeserved downgrade call on the Salchow that should have just been a single < call. It's amazing she was deservedly placed 3rd with all of those calls against her.

Umm...you did see Karen landed that triple salchow a full 1/2 short facing backward, right?