2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 114 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I could see Bradie receiving the same increase level as Mirai, and maybe 1 point more for going clean, so let’s give her 5.5. Still 3 points too high.

Mirai, I am ok with her increase.

Ashley didn’t get any increase at all, even with equal level and style performance than performed internationally (I am using this word QUITE OFTEN today).

Karen= wut?

You want to give Bradie a slightly higher increase than the rest for cleanliness, that’s kosher.

But with the skates that the rest put out there, a nationals increase was warranted for all 4 performers.

Only 3 received them. The 3 that USFSA wants on their Olympic team, not the 3 who deserve to be on the Olympic team.

Stop making sense tonight. :laugh:

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Borrowing bobbob's post from the SP to analyze the final PCS scoring

Bradie PCS
SP PB: 29.38, This Season: 27.44, 29.38, NATIONALS: 32.91
FS PB: 64.41, This Season: 61.04, 64.41, NATIONALS: 69.71
Difference from SB:
3.53 (SP) + 5.30 (FS) = +8.83

Mirai PCS
SP PB: 33.00, This Season: 30.24, 30.72, NATIONALS: 31.19
FS PB: 64.24, This Season: 63.28, 60.46, 63.09, NATIONALS: 67.42
Difference from SB:
0.47 (SP) + 4.14 (FS) = +4.61

Ashley PCS
SP PB: 34.77, This Season: 33.47, 33.68, NATIONALS: 32.94
FS PB: 73.78, This Season: 67.50, NATIONALS: 68.00
Difference from SB:
-0.74 (SP) + 0.50 (FS) = -0.24

Karen PCS
SP PB: 31.63, This Season: 30.43, 30.93, NATIONALS: 33.80
FS PB: 64.33, This Season: 62.16, 61.99, 61.89, NATIONALS: 69.58
Difference from SB:
2.87 (SP) + 7.42 (FS) = +10.29

Inflation for everyone BUT Ashley.
Let's take into account the fact that Ashley's FS was a new one, too (I know the main problem is her SP PCS, though), which was basically a program made of crossovers and arm movements. I agree that she was underscored if compared to the others but that skate really was artistically empty, to my eyes even too much for national inflation :disapp:

About Tennell: I'll just say that she received 51 at last year's World Juniors. 51. With a different program, but still 18 POINTS lower. When will the judges learn that consistency doesn't mean artistry?

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Actually, it’s quite telling. He is pretty much exact with Mirai and Ashley, lower on Bradie and Karen, but right in line with what these ladies would receive Internationally with these skates.

Yeah, though still a bit generous on PCS with Bradie and Mirai compared to their SBs, whereas Karen didn't get that benefit. However, she got a lot of benefit from every other judge so Inman's scores were likely the ones thrown out.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Has anyone posted this here yet? Breakdown of each judges score:
https://twitter.com/SkatingProtocol/status/949542899120615424

Inman seemed to be the sanest judge until he came to Karen, and he went off on her.

Edit: Total score breakdown:
https://twitter.com/SkatingProtocol/status/949539706374471680

Someone pointed out in I think the SP thread, that Inman was a pianist, and would be very critical when it comes to musicality and performance quality, as well as transitions, as he is the one who started the brouhaha about Plushenko in Vancouver.

Very telling that he has Ashley 1st in PCS and Karen down in 5th in PCS, with a 5.5 point gap. She finished behind Ashley, Mirai, Bradie and Angela, according to Inman.

3dsushi

On the Ice
So Bradie made her international debut at 19? When you turn 20 you're pretty much considered old in skating world. Late bloomer perhaps? Anyways congratulations and well deserved win. Goodluck at the Olympics!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Someone pointed out in I think the SP thread, that Inman was a pianist, and would be very critical when it comes to musicality and performance quality, as well as transitions, as he is the one who started the brouhaha about Plushenko in Vancouver.

Very telling that he has Ashley 1st in PCS and Karen down in 4th (at least), with a 5.5 point gap.

He was also the only one dinging Bradie on interpretation of the music in the FS, keeping her in he 7s.

ExMaleSkater

Rinkside
Poor decision by Ashley to debut a half finished program at Nationals. It was uninspired and the choreography was dull. She relies too much on her "persona" to carry her. Now she's proving to be a poor sport, which is amazing considering how much she's gained from USFS. She's been skating a long time and should have known better about her programs this year. Her entire attitude this season has been that she can just show up and deserve the spot.

Karen was over-scored a touch, but she still deserved 3rd over Ashley.

Mirai should have won, but I understand the appeal of rewarding a consistently clean skater who is elegant and not flashy. Still, USFS needs to chill out on the scoring. God I still hate this system.

Wish Mariah Bell picked better music, she's a fantastic skater but needs a different choreographer. Her SP is nice though.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with Starr as she grows.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Outside of posting math, my impressions are that between Bradie and Mirai, sentimentally I'd give Mirai the title (I cried with her skate and was not as emotionally involved with Bradie) but objectively I'm okay with Bradie winning. The scoring is wack, though. Both PCS and GOEs. Reaaally wack. But USFSA needs a reliable skater for the Team Event and everyone else is at the mercy of the tech panel, depending on the day, so Bradie it is.

Ashley was helped in the tech score but not so much in the PCS. I actually quite liked her La La Land FS; loved the dress, really enjoyed the music cut, and there were some nice details thrown in. And it was a better skate than Skate Canada. I'm not really sure who the federation will choose between her and Karen, though. PCS are quite telling but there seemed to be different agendas between tech and judge panels?

Karen's FS is absolutely lovely but she got absolutely no benefit of the doubt from the technical panel. However, the judges loved her.

All in all, as much as I love Karen, she's struggled so much with URs I'm not sure who deserves more to go to the Olympics between her and Ashley. However, I think I might send Karen to Olys and Ashley to Worlds, a la Japan.

Outside of the top 4, I really loved Starr Andrews. Slay, my singing queen.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Finally caught up!

Im honestly so baffled at reading the general reaction to this event.

In what world did Ashley deserve a higher score with 2 extremely mediocre skates? Am I the only one who saw that?? And I love Ashley, she’s one of the first skaters I liked when I still didn’t watch figure skating! But come on. She’s been off all season, and last season as well. She’s not getting any better and she should not get rewarded for her career.

Congratulations Bradie for having nerves of steel and rotating, congratulations Mirai for finally overcoming your demons! Those 2 are locks for the OG now and I’m thrilled to see them in Pyeongchang!

Karen... I honestly don’t know if I would send her to the OG with the international results she’s getting. Ashley would probably be appreciated more at the Olympics but we will know soon enough!

TCAngel18

Medalist
Poor decision by Ashley to debut a half finished program at Nationals. It was uninspired and the choreography was dull. She relies too much on her "persona" to carry her. Now she's proving to be a poor sport, which is amazing considering how much she's gained from USFS. She's been skating a long time and should have known better about her programs this year. Her entire attitude this season has been that she can just show up and deserve the spot.

Karen was over-scored a touch, but she still deserved 3rd over Ashley.

Mirai should have won, but I understand the appeal of rewarding a consistently clean skater who is elegant and not flashy. Still, USFS needs to chill out on the scoring. God I still hate this system.

Wish Mariah Bell picked better music, she's a fantastic skater but needs a different choreographer. Her SP is nice though.

Going to be interesting to see what happens with Starr as she grows.

Ashley did, though.

Whether she used it as an excuse or not, is up to the interpretation of the viewer, but Ashley did not come out with two fresh programs this season, saying that her 5 concussions have caused memory problems. Thus, she came out with a new long, as her previous had a ton of mileage already. She went back to what she considered to be her strongest short program, Hip Hip Chin Chin.

Grand Prix season comes. La La Land is not ready, as its taking her longer to learn new choreography. She goes back to what won her that World Silver Medal just 18 months prior. She has a decent performance at Skate Canada, not up to her standards, but enough for a Bronze. Then she gets the foot infection. She skates the SP at Skate America, not fully healed, and decides to withdraw, not wanting to risk further injury.

She also hears the chatter that her programs are stale, so she brings back La La Land.

She tried her best here, and skated overall pretty well. It was a risk bringing out La La Land, yes. However, I found the choreography not dull and uninspired at all, but recognize that the tires need more miles.

Some call her a poor sport for publicly blasting the judges for holding her down to accomplish a goal. Why shouldn’t she? Should she just sit down and give lip service? Not on your life.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
151 pages for US Nationals Ladies FS, I totally didn't see that coming.

It has been said many times but Tara really needs to shut the hell up, she totally destroyed the mood of the opening of Ashley's FS, and the male commentator (not Johnny) is just brutally unprofessional. He talked during the "Audition" section and the mood is interrupted again, we don't need any mid-program information update (esp when it really wasn't an update) on the field and selection and points-to-beat and what she needs to do to win. We just want to watch and feel the music and the interpretation.

Ashely's score is fine enough, given that she missed a triple.

Mirai should clearly win here, not the most exciting program but she finished it with poise and those spins are a gem.

Karen's revisit to the Tango program is a semi-success imo. I think she gave more sass and fire this time, I actually will rewatch this program, which I didn't do last season.

Bradie though, was given a very generous PCS. She jumps really really nice, but the program is definitely not the best. She should find a better music and make a better program to match her excellent jumps.

and STARR!!!! YAYYYYYY:yahoo::yahoo: Wonderful senior debut!!! She seized the moment!!!! Though I think the original arrangement of putting the big combo at "MAKE IT SHIIIIIIIINE!!" is more dramatic, this program is still wonderful to watch. (Program-wise, i think Starr has a better program than Bradie. In addition, I think Starr has the best musicality.)

ask

Match Penalty
I really connect with Mirai, too. I wished she had won, too. But in the end, I do think USF picked the correct girl as the #1 heading into the game. I trust Bradie will bring it more than I trust Mirai. Bradie can benefit a lot from this title and with her consistency and abundant transitions, I see a case for her going toe to toe with the Russian girls. If she was Russian, her score would make total sense.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
151 pages for US Nationals Ladies FS, I totally didn't see that coming.

If you go to the middle of the thread, you'll realize about 30 pages were chitchat when NBC was showing endless reruns of SP and when a long long zamboni break took place. :rofl:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Lu, Nathan, and Karen Chen, Patrick Chan, and Mervin Tran all have the same Chinese family name. I think there is a skater named Tan and he would be one of the old family too.

Don't forget Tiffany Chin, former US champion, coach of Kaitlyn Nguyen, and selfie-taking novice.

So proud of Mirai!!! Congrats to Bradie, she deserved that win, even though I hate her program. As for Karen or Ashley, both meh in different ways. I'd hate for Karen to be left off the olympic team, but it wouldn't bother me that much realistically.