2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS | Page 116 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr. Ladies FS

TCAngel18

Medalist
They should try to get ISU-level judges. It would be understandable if Spain uses non-ISU judges for their nationals because they probably don't have enough to form a judging panel. But US has a population of 300 million and they can get the required number of ISU-taught judges for a nationals competition, once a year.

They had 3, 4 if you include Inman, who was formerly certified. They went 2-2 for Ashley Vs Karen.

da96103

Record Breaker
Bradie is a gold medal contender in Pyongchang. If she skates clean she will be on the podium, and if her competitors falter she will be the winner.

What? Bradie beating Zhenya, Zagitova, Osmond, Kostner, Miyahara, Sotskova? Really?
And to be on the podium she need to beat at least 4 out of those 6 girls. And there could even be more than 6 girls.

da96103

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn Osmond, Carolina Kostner, Satoko Miyahara, Kaori Sakamoto, Evgenia Medvedeva, Alina Zagitova, and Maria Sotskova would like to say hello. She could place decently high, but AT LEAST 3 of these skaters smoke her in PCS alone, and can match her technically, with consistency.

What? Bradie beating Zhenya, Zagitova, Osmond, Kostner, Miyahara, Sotskova? Really?
And to be on the podium she need to beat at least 4 out of those 6 girls. And there could even be more than 6 girls.

Hey we picked the same six girls, but you added Sakamoto in as well.

ExMaleSkater

Rinkside
I assume you are talking about 2014, where she entered the comp as the reigning 2 time national champ, 3 time GPF medalist and 4th and 5th in the previous 2 world championships, had an off day, and was chosen to the team based upon her body of work over a skater who didn’t have even CLOSE to the results she had in the previous 3 years heading into those championships. That’s what I assume.

I assume you just don’t like it when someone stands up for their convictions, whilst recognizing both their faults and strengths, but tells it like it is. I assume you wanted Ashley to sit down, shut up and take it, like a cultured lady with class would. I assume you don’t like when a confident woman speaks her mind when she is being unfairly shown the door.

I assume you just don’t like Ashley Wagner. Funny thing, she is not even my favorite Female US skater. Funny thing, Mirai Nagasu is, and always has been. I just believe in fairness, and she got absolutely HOSED these Championships.

I assume that you are telling those international judges that they were wrong all these years, that her PCS meant nothing.

I know what assuming makes me. Like Ashley, I don’t care, and will speak up for what is right.

I don't want to re-litigate 2014, but I am old school I guess. If you don't show up at Nationals, you don't go. Simple as that. That's the whole purpose of the event. If it's a body of work issue, why bother with Nationals?

And, while we're re-living old stuff, let's all remember that there wouldn't be 3 spots without Karen, so it would be a real disservice to take that spot from her.

No, I don't like Ashley, but she was usually the best we had for a number of years, which says a lot about the sad state of USA women. We're not going to medal this year unless Mirai hits the triple axel, and others falter. Hopefully in four years things will have improved.

BTW, I love confident women, it's hilarious that you think I don't. I also appreciate class and good sportsmanship when it should be shown, and for a long-time leader in the women's game to be whining after this event is pretty sad.

She didn't get hosed, she got what she deserved given the effort she put forward. But that's fine, you just can't convince some people of Ashley's short-comings which people have been looking past for a while. Life goes on.

Anyway, I am very happy for Mirai. She should have won and I can't wait to see her tear it up in Korea.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
It’s not just Skate Canada, it’s previous results, as well. Even as US number 1, Karen was getting what she deserved, a slight boost, but nothing crazy. When she started faltering, her PCS came back down to where they should be. Even with Ashley no longer considered number 1, and still faltering, she still gets over 6 points more in PCS compared to Karen, in these international paneled competitions, where both get dinged for URs, but scored PCS as is, as these panels have no horse in the race.

I honestly don’t think tonight Ashley deserved more. Other times? Shower her in pcs, she deserved them in Boston! And she did beat Karen in the free, even with a popped triple

TCAngel18

Medalist
Hey we picked the same six girls, but you added Sakamoto in as well.

Yeah I did, lol. She was last year’s WorlD Junior Bronze Medalist, I believe. She looked good at Japanese Nationals, and really had a claim on that Skate America title. Her Amelie isn’t too refined, per se, but she has more artistry than Bradie, IMO, and is just as consistent.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
150+ pages already, US nationals effect. This is the wildest competition on the internet by far - What are Olympics ? :palmf:

TCAngel18

Medalist
I honestly don’t think tonight Ashley deserved more. Other times? Shower her in pcs, she deserved them in Boston! And she did beat Karen in the free, even with a popped triple

Her score was what it should be, taking out any national bump. Karen’s was higher than it should have been. I would have placed her definitely below Mariah, and probably right around Angela, or maybe a point or 2 above.

TCAngel18

Medalist
I don't want to re-litigate 2014, but I am old school I guess. If you don't show up at Nationals, you don't go. Simple as that. That's the whole purpose of the event. If it's a body of work issue, why bother with Nationals?

And, while we're re-living old stuff, let's all remember that there wouldn't be 3 spots without Karen, so it would be a real disservice to take that spot from her.

No, I don't like Ashley, but she was usually the best we had for a number of years, which says a lot about the sad state of USA women. We're not going to medal this year unless Mirai hits the triple axel, and others falter. Hopefully in four years things will have improved.

BTW, I love confident women, it's hilarious that you think I don't. I also appreciate class and good sportsmanship when it should be shown, and for a long-time leader in the women's game to be whining after this event is pretty sad.

She didn't get hosed, she got what she deserved given the effort she put forward. But that's fine, you just can't convince some people of Ashley's short-comings which people have been looking past for a while. Life goes on.

Anyway, I am very happy for Mirai. She should have won and I can't wait to see her tear it up in Korea.

I think they had a system in the 80s where Karen would have probably earned her spot already based on that Worlds result. I can’t fully remember it, but it had something to do with spot earning and such.

Agreed on Mirai; I definitely think she should have won, and if clean, has the clearest shot of, if not a medal, a top 5 placement.

I just didn’t uber Mirai as much because her path on the team wasn’t necessarily in question, based on scoring Vs skating.

Thank you for your response. You didn’t budge, which is more than fine, but you were respectful about it. Kudos.

deneuved

On the Ice
It’s not just Skate Canada, it’s previous results, as well. Even as US number 1, Karen was getting what she deserved, a slight boost, but nothing crazy. When she started faltering, her PCS came back down to where they should be. Even with Ashley no longer considered number 1, and still faltering, she still gets over 6 points more in PCS compared to Karen, in these international paneled competitions, where both get dinged for URs, but scored PCS as is, as these panels have no horse in the race.

Yep the US federation should have used the German system of accumulating the best 3 scores of the 2017/2018 season to decide who will go to the Olympics. However, it's a bit hard to define Ashley's result for that as she just had 2,5 competitions :) But to beat Karen's total amount of 563,71 for her three best competitions in this year's season (*including* nationals!), Ashley would have needed a score of 119,46 in the free skate in Skate America, had she been healthy.

TCAngel18

Medalist
150+ pages already, US nationals effect. This is the wildest competition on the internet by far - What are Olympics ? :palmf:

Considering ppl say it’s harder to make the Olympics sometimes than to win them, maybe not so much.

Although, I imagine the Medvedeva Vs Zagitova back and forth to take a WHILE.

I, for one, would love to see Alina take it. I’ve never been quite sold on Med.

I ADORE Don Quixote; it’s literally the perfect program for a jumping clinic, plus her first half is nicely presented, and she has the Technical edge, IMHO.

da96103

Record Breaker
I'm sure given her medal they'd be overjoyed and celebrating with free food for all ;)

Meanwhile on the other side of town, Ashley Wagner listens to "All By Myself" in her living room with a glass of wine like the opening of Bridget Jones's Diary.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Her score was what it should be, taking out any national bump. Karen’s was higher than it should have been. I would have placed her definitely below Mariah, and probably right around Angela, or maybe a point or 2 above.

Had Ashley not popped her Salchow she would have been 3rd and in front of Karen, who got all her UR called. PCS can't be what you rely on after a not so great performance.

That said, I'm sad for her because I really like her and I think La La Land is a really good program. Love the costume as well!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Just some quick thoughts before bed as someone who was there in person:

I have never been a fan of Ashley and always thought people were smoking some good stuff whenever they would go on about her "ability to perform" and yadda yadda. Having now seen her in person and especially in contrast with the other 20 girls at Nationals, I finally understood what people meant. It's like watching a really good movie and you're immediately invested from the get-go. I was glued to her the entire program and I've never gotten that from watching her on video; she filled out the ice really well too. It's pretty upsetting that she gave the only good performance of the night and was purposely held down in PCS for whatever reason especially compared to the top 3. I'd probably be rolling my eyes at that Ashley video saying she's furious about her scores if I hadn't been there in person but I have to agree with her. The PCS bump is being selectively applied to skaters. She got screwed. I also say this as someone who hates La La Land; movie is trash, but this program was fresh and spunky. I loved it.

Even though I was rooting for Mirai to win for sentimental reasons, she really didn't perform at all. Now don't get me wrong, the entire arena including myself were screaming after every jump because we wanted it so badly for her... but that doesn't equate to good PCS. She landed a fantastic 3A in the warm-up that lit up the arena. Marina Klimova was sitting next to me :)love:) and she went gaga over it too! Thrilled with her program here and I believe she's a good example to put in a dictionary next to the word "perseverance". I couldn't stop smiling after she finished and burst into tears on the ice. Her score got a standing ovation from my section too.

Karen Chen; I don't know if it was her flu or something but for someone who finished 4th in the World, her choreography and performance weren't too different than the lower tier skaters at Nationals. After hearing and reading tons about her speed from forums and commentators, I expected more from her. Her skating skills were the best of the field though; much smoother and effortless movement across the ice... so that has to count for something. I did love her ChSq with the spiral though. Really beautiful. In person, her 2A+1Lo+3S is a thing of beauty. Probably my favorite jump combination of the competition. Her layback was incredibly impressive too.

Bradie; most transitions out of anyone and faultless jumps except for 2A+3T. Likely nerves more than a specific technical fault though. Program was a snooze. Skating and speed is fine, nothing stands out. Choreography and performance is non-existent. Audience muted aside from jump landings. Her PCS compared to those below her, especially Ashley, are a joke. I can understand TES-ing your way to a National title but not with those PCS.

Side-notes: I didn't understand what people meant by Caroline Zhang snail speed until she got to her StSq. Holy damn girl, :eeking:. Even I could do that step sequence and I don't even skate. Amber Glenn had the most impressive triple triple combination, good speed into it. Tessa Hong is like mini Sasha Cohen. Starr Andrews was really good! And Michelle Kwan during the Hall of Fame introduction was looking good and fit, I say send her the Olympics as that third entry, why not. She'd get way more media coverage than any American Olympian period.

Over and out. Men's free tomorrow!

Fruitpie

On the Ice
Excellent competition! Mirai was awesome, Bradie was great, Star was born (sorry, can't help it). Loved Tara and Johnny.
Congrats to all ladies.

TCAngel18

Medalist
Just some quick thoughts before bed as someone who was there in person:

I have never been a fan of Ashley and always thought people were smoking some good stuff whenever they would go on about her "ability to perform" and yadda yadda. Having now seen her in person and especially in contrast with the other 20 girls at Nationals, I finally understood what people meant. It's like watching a really good movie and you're immediately invested from the get-go. I was glued to her the entire program and I've never gotten that from watching her on video; she filled out the ice really well too. It's pretty upsetting that she gave the only good performance of the night and was purposely held down in PCS for whatever reason especially compared to the top 3. I'd probably be rolling my eyes at that Ashley video saying she's furious about her scores if I hadn't been there in person but I have to agree with her. The PCS bump is being selectively applied to skaters. She got screwed. I also say this as someone who hates La La Land; movie is trash, but this program was fresh and spunky. I loved it.

Even though I was rooting for Mirai to win for sentimental reasons, she really didn't perform at all. Now don't get me wrong, the entire arena including myself were screaming after every jump because we wanted it so badly for her... but that doesn't equate to good PCS. She landed a fantastic 3A in the warm-up that lit up the arena. Marina Klimova was sitting next to me :)love:) and she went gaga over it too! Thrilled with her program here and I believe she's a good example to put in a dictionary next to the word "perseverance". I couldn't stop smiling after she finished and burst into tears on the ice. Her score got a standing ovation from my section too.

Karen Chen; I don't know if it was her flu or something but for someone who finished 4th in the World, her choreography and performance weren't too different than the lower tier skaters at Nationals. After hearing and reading tons about her speed from forums and commentators, I expected more from her. Her skating skills were the best of the field though; much smoother and effortless movement across the ice... so that has to count for something. I did love her ChSq with the spiral though. Really beautiful. In person, her 2A+1Lo+3S is a thing of beauty. Probably my favorite jump combination of the competition. Her layback was incredibly impressive too.

Bradie; most transitions out of anyone and faultless jumps except for 2A+3T. Likely nerves more than a specific technical fault though. Program was a snooze. Skating and speed is fine, nothing stands out. Choreography and performance is non-existent. Audience muted aside from jump landings. Her PCS compared to those below her, especially Ashley, are a joke. I can understand TES-ing your way to a National title but not with those PCS.

Side-notes: I didn't understand what people meant by Caroline Zhang snail speed until she got to her StSq. Holy damn girl, :eeking:. Even I could do that step sequence and I don't even skate. Amber Glenn had the most impressive triple triple combination, good speed into it. Tessa Hong is like mini Sasha Cohen. Starr Andrews was really good! And Michelle Kwan during the Hall of Fame introduction was looking good and fit, I say send her the Olympics as that third entry, why not. She'd get way more media coverage than any American Olympian period.

Over and out. Men's free tomorrow!

This whole post! Except maybe the Mirai bits, I just Love Mirai to pieces. But I do think she needs more to make the program stand out. I would have loved vocals, and perhaps cuts from “The Movie in My Mind” and “I’d Give my Life for You”. I think Mirai can express anger easier than perhaps a romantic setting, So leave the bombastic parts, add the two above songs, and it would be PERF for me.

Wait, I lied. End with a layback to the chorus of “This is the Hour”. That would make me jump in my seat!

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I still don't get Bradie's PCS. She's essentially nothing but jumps to me. The rest is just not worth watching and skating skills aren't anything to write home about, either. Bradie has consistent jumps but the jumps themselves aren't IMO that great. Mirai's PCS should have been higher. Mirai's been having issues with overrotating her 3As but I guess overrotation is easier to fix than underrotation.