2018 US Championships Sr Men FS | Page 80 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men FS

twirlingblades

Medalist
Lol I feel some fans forget how harsh of a sport FS is. You can be landing all your jumps one season + be 100% healthy, yet the next season just completely fall apart with no viable reason and drop below the top 20 rankings. It has happened to many skaters in the past. There is no "later" in figure skating, only the "now".

I know, lol I’ve skated my whole life.

The “now” is that Ross beat Vincent and Adam.

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Fair enough, but worlds is where scores matter since spots are on the line for next year. So, send Vincent, and let Ross have his moment.

Or... sorry Adam, you crumbled at the big moment.

I don’t know, I have so many feelings! I agree Ross is the weakest, but it feels so wrong to skip the silver medalist.

I guess I'm just totally unsentimental about this and one competition doesn't mean anything to me.

MsLayback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm incredibly sad that Jason is not even mentioned in this thread. It's sad but it's the reality that he did not have the season nor the National experience to even be considered.

I'm listening to the press conference and it saddened me to hear Vincent Zhou talk about a hip problem he had last year as a junior. 17 and a hip problem! Will he be walking at age 21?
That's actually very common for young athletes in sports that require a lot of repetition because of their growth plates Nathan had the same issues

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I'm incredibly sad that Jason is not even mentioned in this thread. It's sad but it's the reality that he did not have the season nor the National experience to even be considered.

I'm listening to the press conference and it saddened me to hear Vincent Zhou talk about a hip problem he had last year as a junior. 17 and a hip problem! Will he be walking at age 21?

I remember Patrick Chan did an interview where he said that quads are new and it is still unknown the impact multiple quad jumps will have on the body. It just cant be good landing like that on one leg day after day

WeirwoodTreeHugger

On the Ice
Romanian Gymnastics fan...

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

Not to derail, and this post was ages ago in this fast moving thread, but I feel you so much on this. Why can't they manage to get their promising juniors successfully into a senior career? Like to the point where Cimpian moved countries to avoid their program. Why does Larissa Iordache keep getting injured? She's one of the best gymnasts in the world but most people will never know it because she wasn't at Rio and because she lost her best opportunity to get AA gold at 2017 world's with Simone Biles not there. Oh, Lari! :sad21:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The solution is simple!! Make Nathan choose his teammates. :bow:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ahh so all those bribes erm I mean prayers I have been making to the skating rules gods are finally paying off. :yahoo:Where can I listen to skate radio guys? Thank you moonvine. You have brightened my mood considerably :thank:

There is an app for IOS called icenetwork. I have no idea why they haven't got it for android yet. You don't have to be an icenetwork subscriber to listen (I am, but you don't have to be). You click on "radio" and select "listen at home" or if you are lucky enough to be in the arena "listen in the arena." They gave out free radios to listen to them at last year's Nationals, I don't know about this years because I didn't go. Anyway the team consists of Jimmie Santee and other commentators depending on the discipline. They also encourage you to ask questions by tweeting them at #pruskateradio. I always listen to them the first time around and then the second time I listen to the icenetwork commentary and the third time I listen to ask much of Tara's screeching as I can handle. Yes, I'm crazy. When I was at Worlds in 2016 I went back to the hotel and watched Gracies short over and over and over again. My bff was like "are you watching that again?" I said yes, it's SO GOOD. Anyway, there's also a podcast called "Ice Talk." It comes out once a week on Wednesdays, they interview all kinds of current and past skaters, and it's a lot more unfiltered than their usual conversations with the media.

salchowx4

On the Ice
Sending Chen/Miner/Zhou to the Olympics and Chen/Zhou/Rippon to Worlds is the answer that best balances rewarding people for showing up when it counts with a concern for the bigger picture and caring about future spots. It's also a decision that few would find that controversial. Unfortunately, I can see USFS totally messing it up and doing something stupid.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess we'll see, but I think they would be very foolish to send Ross Miner.

Why? The US's only medal hope is Nathan. The Olympics don't determine spots for next year. Ross earned it. He should go. Send Adam to Worlds if need be. That should be the tough choice, not the Olympic team.

dalenofff

Rinkside
I say Karma for the USFSA, they knew that if Vincent score was 120+ then Brown and Rippon couldn't possibly beat him, so they tore it down, then Ross had the skate of his life. So now they figure, if Ross beat Vincent then if either Brown or Rippon screw up, it was easier to bump Ross then Vincent so Ross is now second. Who could have guess that Both Brown and Rippon imploded and now the USFSA is in a bind. Can't bump a silver medalist (which they did to Vincent last year anyway) and can they bump Vincent again even though he medal both years?... oh what a tangle web the USFSA weave... LOL

bixby

Final Flight
I'm just blown away by Nathan Chen's consistency and the nerve of steel they guy has.

Last night we saw it from Bradie Tennell on the ladies' side as well. If these two marry each other and have kids, what would they be like if they take on figure skating like their parents? Will Nathan Jr. be the first to land 4A, quad 1/2 loop quad and quad quad combo? Will Bradie Jr. be the first to land quads on the ladies' side? Just having some fun thoughts... :slink:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember Patrick Chan did an interview where he said that quads are new and it is still unknown the impact multiple quad jumps will have on the body. It just cant be good landing like that on one leg day after day

I watched all the Olympic skating competitions that The Olympic Channel played last week (all of them since 2002). Quads were being done in 2002, so I'm not sure they can be said to be all that new....

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Sending Chen/Miner/Zhou to the Olympics and Chen/Zhou/Rippon to Worlds is the answer that best balances rewarding people for showing up when it counts with a concern for the bigger picture and caring about future spots. It's also a decision that few would find that controversial. Unfortunately, I can see USFS totally messing it up and doing something stupid.

Nathan will not want to skate the long program in the team event, so we need to send someone who can do an OK long. Miner or Zhou are much bigger risks for that then Rippon just based on results this season.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Seems to me if you are going to boot someone off the Olympic team it should be for someone who's a multiple National champion who's won world medals or GPF medals or medaled at 4CC but Adam isn't any of those things.

This is the beast the USFSA created by using nationals as the only criteria for so many years(which was easy to do when the field wasn't nearly this deep).
It isn't a matter of someone being "booted" because there shouldn't be a team conceived in anyone's mind based on the results of this one competition alone.