2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - SP

frida80

Record Breaker
Why does this Canadian vs. Russian judging argument show up in every thread with Kaetlyn in it? I came to see Gabby lauded and tears about Alaine. Is this going to be the Olympics too?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do have to agree with the concern about Canada sending a third woman. Unles Alaine can really improve her showing on the FS, I wonder if the federation will consider a "give back"?

I cannot imagine why anyone would consider such an option. If Canada were to "give back" a spot, and provided that it was not too late to reallocate the quota, the spot would go to the first alternate for the ladies event. If memory serves, and there's no guarantee there, I think that country is Armenia.

Why in the world would Skate Canada give Armenia a spot Canada earned (which I hope is given to a young up and coming skater who could benefit from the exposure and experience)?

It makes no sense at all.

shyne

Final Flight
I cannot imagine why anyone would consider such an option. If Canada were to "give back" a spot, and provided that it was not too late to reallocate the quota, the spot would go to the first alternate for the ladies event. If memory serves, and there's no guarantee there, I think that country is Armenia.

Why in the world would Skate Canada give Armenia a spot Canada earned (which I hope is given to a young up and coming skater who could benefit from the exposure and experience)?

It makes no sense at all.

The only possible explanation is when you have don't have the 3rd person/team with MTS. That's clearly not the case for Canada.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only possible explanation is when you have don't have the 3rd person/team with MTS. That's clearly not the case for Canada.

Yes, of course I should have included that caveat, but as you say, that is not the case here.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Alaine! Alaine! *hangs head* Tracy said she skated so well in practice and then to go out and bomb the SP when there was nearly no pressure on her. I give up.

Well done Gabby especially since she was sick. Kaetlyn made a mistake but better here than in Korea.

I don't have a problem with Tracy being pro Canadian at nationals. It is for a national audience. She prefers Kaetlyn artistically to the other skaters. That's fine. That's her opinion.

liv

Record Breaker
All tv coverage for National competitions has the commentators talking up their skaters if they are podium contenders. It's happened for decades and just because national competitions are now available to an international audience doesn't mean it's going to change.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Well I’d love to stay and chat about how Russian ladies are miles ahead of the Canadian ladies, but I’m kinda bored with the idea, and David Pelletier told me once that this is a perfect opportunity to head to the toilet and then the fridge, soooo....

:rofl:

I was actively posting away on GS while watching Russian nationals last month, and I can’t seem to remember an army of angry Canadians showing up in the ladies threads to crucify all the Russian skaters in comparison to the Canada’s. Weird, right? :confused2:

where do you see angry russians here? i don't see any
but when someone says "These russia ubers are so annoying" that surely doesn't lead to a healthy discussion

P.S. is there any protocols for SP? skatecanada website doesn't want to load :(

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

If only we could give it to Japan in exchange for their dance judge... wow... did I just say that out loud? :laugh:

That was a joke folks..don't get cranky.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm going to spread some unCanadian like realism here: We already know that we are not winning two medals in Ladies in Korea. We more or less know that we will be lucky to get one. I know that sometimes it's tempting to remind us of that. I think most people in the know that unless Evgenia and Alina mess up they will probably go 1-2. It would take a very special performance from Kaetlyn or Satoko to change that.

I expect hyperbole at nationals. Last year Rod was telling us that any of the 3 ladies could win the title when we all knew it wasn't true. It's called priming the pump. Trying to get excitement up for those every 4 year fans who only care about Olympics. It's about ratings not about what they know is going to happen.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I don't have a problem with Tracy being pro Canadian at nationals. It is for a national audience. She prefers Kaetlyn artistically to the other skaters. That's fine. That's her opinion.

Tracy is fine. She didn't say anything outrageous? It is the woman who commentated with Ted, who called European ladies (or rather the Russians) little mice. Then Ted told her 'you've got to come up in the rodent category, give them a little bit more credit'. I'm sorry but that's not for any audience.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
How about we all try a little exercise.

For two days, just today and tomorrow, we don't think about any country except Canada. These are Canadian Nationals. The event is in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The athletes are Canadian, though some may hold dual citizenship (it doesn't matter). The judges are Canadian. The scores only count for Canadian national records. The skaters who will be chosen for Worlds, Olympics, 4CC, and Junior Worlds will represent Canada.

Is that good? Can we do that?

Because honestly all the comparisons are doing is taking away from discussing Canadian skating. And this is one of the few times and places we can actually do that.

So please do me a favour and engage in this exercise.

Thank you.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Tracy is fine. She didn't say anything outrageous? It is the woman who commentated with Ted, who called European ladies (or rather the Russians) little mice. Then Ted told her 'you've got to come up in the rodent category, give them a little bit more credit'. I'm sorry but that's not for any audience.

oh.. I only watched the TV version. It's not Debbie Wilkes is it? She's normally more nice than that.

BTW.. our national animal is a rodent so we are rodent friendly here.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
What's all this talk about giving up a spot? Even if we were to send Austman, Long or Tamura, I don't think they'd come in last, although I admit they wouldn't be anywhere near the podium. Even if they did come in last, it would be a close last, and it would be valuable experience for whatever lady it would be. Someone has to bring up the rear in every competition, and if dance teams like Tankova/Zilderberg are being sent, why would the third Canadian lady stay home?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
How about we all try a little exercise.

For two days, just today and tomorrow, we don't think about any country except Canada. These are Canadian Nationals. The event is in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The athletes are Canadian, though some may hold dual citizenship (it doesn't matter). The judges are Canadian. The scores only count for Canadian national records. The skaters who will be chosen for Worlds, Olympics, 4CC, and Junior Worlds will represent Canada.

Is that good? Can we do that?

Because honestly all the comparisons are doing is taking away from discussing Canadian skating. And this is one of the few times and places we can actually do that.

So please do me a favour and engage in this exercise.

Thank you.

So...I agree with you but... it isn't like people don't do that to every nationals thread when it comes to scoring. I certainly saw it in the Russian threads and in the French nationals threads when P/C got that SD score.

Maybe the best thing to say is.. national scoring doesn't count toward minimums or PBs for a reason. I only get worked up if the placement is wrong.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So...I agree with you but... it isn't like people don't do that to every nationals thread when it comes to scoring. I certainly saw it in the Russian threads and in the French nationals threads when P/C got that SD score.

Maybe the best thing to say is.. national scoring doesn't count toward minimums or PBs for a reason. I only get worked up if the placement is wrong.

Look I'm tired of reading threads that devolve into actually not discussing the skating that's happened at an event. E.g Every ice dance thread becomes P/C vs. V/M.

I don't go to threads of other Nationals to engage in this kind of activity so I really don't care what happens there. Maybe the moderators of those threads can speak up and stop that from happening. All I can do is make a request to focus the conversation. It's up to you guys if you want to listen or not.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
oh.. I only watched the TV version. It's not Debbie Wilkes is it? She's normally more nice than that.

BTW.. our national animal is a rodent so we are rodent friendly here.

Yes, that's her. She's on the Dailymotion over with Ted. It was not meant as a compliment in any way, and it's really not something that needs to be said on air, whatever she may think privately. She can talk about how she prefers Osmond's skating, which is perfectly normal and I don't even consider that nationalistic at all, without this part. I mean even Rocker Skating commented on it, it really was way out of line.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Yes, that's her. She's on the Dailymotion over with Ted. It was not meant as a compliment in any way, and it's really not something that needs to be said on air, whatever she may think privately. She can talk about how she prefers Osmond's skating, which is perfectly normal and I don't even consider that nationalistic at all, without this part. I mean even Rocker Skating commented on it, it really was way out of line.

It surprises me because I think I've been reading or watching Debbie for ages (she used to commentary on Tv with Toller) and she's normally really nice. hmm..

Lily flowers

On the Ice

What did Ted tell her afterwards? “We gotta give them more credit” or something along those lines. If thats true, then it’s very nice of him I think. He continues to be the best commentator imo.