2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 292 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wonder if the American pewter pattern will continue.I am sure but I think at the olympics 1984 fourth - Tiffany Chin?1988 4th Jill Trenary 1992 4th tonya harding 2002 4th Sasha Cohen? 2010 4th Mirai Nagasu 2014 4th Gracie Gold

I would think that it depends on how one becomes a Pewter Medalist......If you're Gracie from 2016.....You're heartbroken. However, if you start off in 7th and rise to Pewter from there...It's a completely different feeling. I'm sure that Mirai was thrilled when she took 4th in 2010. Especially since she defeated newly crowned champion Rachael Flatt in the process. She also beat some really great skaters like Miki Ando, Laura Lepisto, and Akiko Suzuki...

mrrice

Record Breaker
Definitely. In the nearest big city around me, rooms can go up to $400 a night for relatively common things like concerts.

Now that the Staples Center is Downtown, even the daily rates for hotels have increased. When there's a big playoff game or, a big name concert comes to town, even the rates in Santa Monica, Burbank, Pasadena, and Hollywood, will go up. As for Air BnB's....They are usually near the airport and most of them will provide transportation to major events such as concerts and certain Olympic events. I would imagine that if Olympic Hockey was played at the Staples Center, they'd provide a shuttle, and in some cases, a Limo to and from the event.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
I just watched Beverly Zhu's novice skate at the US novice championships. I just had to post it here because I loved her performance. And she finally did a triple triple! Does anybody know about her skating? I think she has a lot of potential! Her long program was to Miss Saigon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYAOoY_p4-M I think she's wonderful. I can't wait to see her debut as a senior.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I do agree that Bradie does have potential. She is already solid with her jumps so she need to work on her presentation a lot more. She can get a different choreographer and costumes. Right now, she reminds me of a Librarian. Very plain and boring. She doesn't appeal to many people.

Yikes. That's a downright mean and offensive thing to say about the librarians of the world...

...said the former librarian...:slink:

I disagree that librarians are plain and boring.

Thank you! :luv17: I was catching up on older posts when I came upon that rather unkind one...:scratch2:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yikes. That's a downright mean and offensive thing to say about the librarians of the world...

...said the former librarian...:slink

Thank you! :luv17: I was catching up on older posts when I came upon that rather unkind one...:scratch2:

You know who Bradie reminds me of......Kimmie Meissner. She never blew my socks off but, she rarely made a mistake. She was not as lyrical as Sarah Hughes but, she did have a 3/3 and was able to Make the Olympic Team, Win Worlds in 2006, and Nationals in 2007....She had quite a career for someone who, like Bradie, didn't blow you away but skated with text book style.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Skaters, yes. The skaters pay for their coaches to go along, and I assume that means hotel, food etc.

It's interesting that Karen (and apparently Mirai and Bradie too) have gone the route of GoFundMe to help their families attend. It seems like a generational shift in thinking, to me .... but I could be wrong.

Technically, Mirai is raising funds through the 'youcaring' site. No idea if they're affiliated with GoFundMe. https://www.youcaring.com/mirainagasu-1066185

Mirai's stated goal was $11,000 so she seems to have made and surpassed that goal. Currently she's at $12,533. :biggrin:

Found Karen on Go Fund Me, raised $2565 of $10k so far, and Bradie $4,785 of $20K. Couldn't find Mirai.

https://www.youcaring.com/mirainagasu-1066185

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Technically, Mirai is raising funds through the 'youcaring' site. No idea if they're affiliated with GoFundMe. https://www.youcaring.com/mirainagasu-1066185

Mirai's stated goal was $11,000 so she seems to have made and surpassed that goal. Currently she's at $12,533. :biggrin: ...

:agree: And technically, it is Pasadena Figure Skating Club that is raising funds to help Mirai.

Pasadena Figure Skating Club's first update on its fundraising page was posted on January 17, 2018:

Thank you to everyone for your amazing outpouring of support! We surpassed our goal in a matter of days. We will be getting these funds to Mirai as soon as we can, and we are sure she is so grateful for your generous contributions.

We also wanted to let everyone know that Pasadena Figure Skating Club is planning a viewing party during the Olympic Ladies' Short Program, so we can all cheer on Mirai together. It will be on the evening of Tuesday, February 20, 2018, right here in the Pasadena/Arcadia area. We will share more details regarding timing and venue once everything is finalized. There will be no admission fee, but food and drink will be cash bar. Keep checking back for details on the event! Hope to see everyone there!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
:agree: And technically, it is Pasadena Figure Skating Club that is raising funds to help Mirai.

Pasadena Figure Skating Club's first update on its fundraising page was posted on January 17, 2018:

Thank you to everyone for your amazing outpouring of support! We surpassed our goal in a matter of days. We will be getting these funds to Mirai as soon as we can, and we are sure she is so grateful for your generous contributions.

We also wanted to let everyone know that Pasadena Figure Skating Club is planning a viewing party during the Olympic Ladies' Short Program, so we can all cheer on Mirai together. It will be on the evening of Tuesday, February 20, 2018, right here in the Pasadena/Arcadia area. We will share more details regarding timing and venue once everything is finalized. There will be no admission fee, but food and drink will be cash bar. Keep checking back for details on the event! Hope to see everyone there!

Thanks for the clarification! the PFSC are awesome to do this for Mirai! They also mentioned in the fundraising sites's comment section a lunch or dinner fundraiser!

Miria posted 'Help me get my ♥ to the Olympics' I believe on her twitter some days ago - so I think it's meant for her BF!

eta: Here's her tweet about getting her babe to the Olympics - actually, she said 'make the most' of his trip to the Olympics! https://twitter.com/mirai_nagasu/status/951667794164224000

Help my ❤️ make the most of his trip to the Olympics!

Please retweet! Thank you!

Thank you for that information. I hope Mirai can be an inspiration to younger skaters. You don't have to be finished with school by your 21st birthday. Skating does NOT have a long shelf life. Stay focused and strike while the Iron is hot....School will always be there. I graduated at 28 years old and though I was on tour when my fellow students graduated, it still meant the world to me.

Indeed! You don't even have to be finished with school by your 81st birthday! There are TONS of examples of adults finishing college (or going to college for the first time) much much much later in life! :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

...said the former librarian...:slink

I'm not going to go back and find the original quote to which you responded, but what an unkind comment that person made.

Bradie reminds me of my lovely sister when she was that age, and I've seen pictures of Bradie as a little girl, and the resemblance is even more striking there.

She is a beautiful young woman. And, for the record, I've known many hot librarians, who could be described as "anything but plain."

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not going to go back and find the original quote to which you responded, but what an unkind comment that person made.

Bradie reminds me of my lovely sister when she was that age, and I've seen pictures of Bradie as a little girl, and the resemblance is even more striking there.

She is a beautiful young woman. And, for the record, I've known many hot librarians, who could be described as "anything but plain."

That's very kind of you to say! :biggrin: Not that I've ever been hot or anything LOL!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Ashley always uses her platform and openness about her struggles to reach out and encourage people from all walks of life. Just a few instances I recall:

1. She encouraged anyone who has a dream or a goal, but thinks they're too old to succeed in it, to keep on trying.

2. She encouraged anyone who's been told they're not good enough, or didn't deserve the results they earned, to disregard those voices and listen to their own heart.

3. Despite never having been the "It Girl," during the ascendancy of several US "it girls," she became the first US lady to win a World Medal in a decade. She encouraged everyone to believe:love: in themselves and their dream.

4. And now, in her most recent IG post, after admitting she's still not okay yet:

So I guess, this more than anything else, is a reminder to anyone feeling down or lost, that things will be okay, you just need to start looking for your own way to make things better ❤️

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Funny, I follow her on there and I don't even know about that. :unsure:

Then again, I don't really care enough to be looking for those kinds of details anyway, so there's that...:scratch2:

Anyway, at least on Twitter, Nagasu has been going crazy with the RT button...clearly she likes the attention ;)

And Wagner appears to be in the position (emotionally, anyway) that Nagasu was in 4 years ago if her latest Instagram post is any indication...Crazy how things come full circle.

If one DID faithfully follow Mirai on IG (I guess you don't), they'd know that she is constantly posting vids of Darian (her boyfriend), as well as herself, on her IG My Story. There was one up last time I looked. The vids disappear after 24 hours though.

People magazine featured Mirai's fundraising efforts with a nice pic of Mirai with her boyfriend: http://people.com/sports/mirai-nagasu-skater-donations-boyfriend-games/

The Daily Mail featured an article as well -this one includes some nice pics of Mirai's parents as well as her boyfriend: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5272193/Mirai-Nagasus-club-looking-donations-travel.html

tosca

On the Ice
Warning— do NOT venture into the comments on this one. Sad that such nastiness exists.

WOW. People are terrible. Karen Chen was also trolled with many other skaters jumping in to educate this person. The comment from the troller has now been deleted.

R.D.

Record Breaker
If one DID faithfully follow Mirai on IG (I guess you don't), they'd know that she is constantly posting vids of Darian (her boyfriend), as well as herself, on her IG My Story. There was one up last time I looked. The vids disappear after 24 hours though.

People magazine featured Mirai's fundraising efforts with a nice pic of Mirai with her boyfriend: http://people.com/sports/mirai-nagasu-skater-donations-boyfriend-games/

The Daily Mail featured an article as well -this one includes some nice pics of Mirai's parents as well as her boyfriend: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5272193/Mirai-Nagasus-club-looking-donations-travel.html

Not sure what is meant or implied by "faithfully" here, but if it means religiously or closely then you're right.

If the stories is where she's posting this stuff, that's probably why I missed it. I check that only occasionally TBH.

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know who Bradie reminds me of......Kimmie Meissner. She never blew my socks off but, she rarely made a mistake. She was not as lyrical as Sarah Hughes but, she did have a 3/3 and was able to Make the Olympic Team, Win Worlds in 2006, and Nationals in 2007....She had quite a career for someone who, like Bradie, didn't blow you away but skated with text book style.

Perhaps if Tennell shocks with a World Championship win I'll be willing to pull out the Meissner comparison...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
What I like about Bradie (aside from the fact that I don’t worry about her falling!) is that she skates with joy. She has stuff to work on, but I love that quality in her, and don’t find her in the least boring.

evasorange

Final Flight
I'm just watching the Olympic channels broadcast of the ladies sp from Europeans and they decided to air again Bradies sp(because the fifteen reairings of it during nationals wasn't enough apparently) hearing ryan and tanith try to spin it like Bradie can go head to head with Evgenia and Alina sure is....something 😂😂. The hype train is in hyper speed now!🙄

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just watching the Olympic channels broadcast of the ladies sp from Europeans and they decided to air again Bradies sp(because the fifteen reairings of it during nationals wasn't enough apparently) hearing ryan and tanith try to spin it like Bradie can go head to head with Evgenia and Alina sure is....something 😂😂. The hype train is in hyper speed now!🙄

Only if Bradie back loads her programs does she even stand a chance.