2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 109 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

beki

Medalist
Mirai has artistry within her, but she got hammered so much for URs she shut it down to focus on the technical side. She has both technical and artistic ability, but struggles to integrate both into her competitive performances. So she isn't the ideal complete skater (I don't think we have one in ladies at the moment). But she's still pretty great and I'm over the moon for her.

curious

Final Flight
Yes you have to be blind not to see her total lack of artistry. She has totally sacrificed the artistic part to land the triple axel reminds me of another much more talented skater than her mao. people should really stop their ridiculous insane jealousy directed at the two best skaters in the world. You won't change that fact no matter what you say. Mirai will be.lucky if she wins bronze and that's the truth.

curious

Final Flight
I think the main reason Alina backloads is to beat Evgenia, because you cannot dethrone one overscored champion with a gimmick without your own gimmick. This is the unfortunate consequence of having Evgenia as an undisputed champion with a hefty cushion for several seasons in a row.
Li
If those two great skaters were americans you will be sending the rest of the skaters home right lol such a circus here .

kimi492

Final Flight
Yes you have to be blind not to see her total lack of artistry. She has totally sacrificed the artistic part to land the triple axel reminds me of another much more talented skater than her mao. people should really stop their ridiculous insane jealousy directed at the two best skaters in the world. You won't change that fact no matter what you say. Mirai will be.lucky if she wins bronze and that's the truth.

Your tone sounds very pointed....
Any woman would be lucky and grateful to win bronze especially in this crop of ladies - not sure why you're singling her out; this is an uphill battle for almost everyone but the Russian ladies competiting for 1st and 2nd

LandShark

Rinkside
After watching the Ladies‘ LP, all I can say is that I‘m crossing my fingers for Evgenia to create some magic and become the OC. With Alina, all I see is icy cold, rehearsed precision. Evgenia has innate elegance and musicality, at least.

Medvedeva brings a gorgeous , fragile , vulnerability to her skating. She draws you in from the outset and involves you in her World on the rink. She has a charisma that the younger girl does not yet , but since she's only 15 , that's maybe not a surprise.

I find Medvedeva unusual , I find her deeply memorable , and I think it will be a long time before I forget her.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Medvedeva brings a gorgeous , fragile , vulnerability to her skating. She draws you in from the outset and involves you in her World on the rink. She has a charisma that the younger girl does not yet , but since she's only 15 , that's maybe not a surprise.

I find Medvedeva unusual , I find her deeply memorable , and I think it will be a long time before I forget her.

Med is 17, isn't she?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai has artistry within her, but she got hammered so much for URs she shut it down to focus on the technical side. She has both technical and artistic ability, but struggles to integrate both into her competitive performances. So she isn't the ideal complete skater (I don't think we have one in ladies at the moment). But she's still pretty great and I'm over the moon for her.

IJS has pretty much ruined artistry for female skaters. We have a few--Satoko Miyahara, Carolina. Mao was artistic. I was not a fan of Yuna's overall artistry but her skating did have artistic elements. There are too many technical demands to spend much time on artistry, especially since it isn't rewarded. Miming and smiling are not artistry. It's more of a total body thing--the stretch of leg, the point of the toe, the balletic arms. I think Peggy Fleming was the first truly artistic ladies skater.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean, I think she was ranked correctly, and 64 in PCS for that performance was kind of generous. If she had just tried to perform more and been more involved with the music, she would have had a couple more points and maybe even a total of 140.

You think so? I don't.

curious

Final Flight

I totally agree. She is a rare talent.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Completely disagree.

But keep in mind I’m talking about the entire field. Beyond the podium skaters that are finishing 5th-12th place can and are doing 3-3 and other top level achievements. Also note that I don’t and have never considered the greatest score to reflect the greatest performance ever. To me those things are not related or connected. Scores represent the strength of the field at an event and current judging trends far more than best performances ever. I guess I just don’t look for scoring to reflect that but on a level of skills and performing I do think the ladies discipline is stronger than ever. Top to bottom.

But keep in mind I’m talking about the entire field. Beyond the podium skaters that are finishing 5th-12th place can and are doing 3-3 and other top level achievements. Also note that I don’t and have never considered the greatest score to reflect the greatest performance ever. To me those things are not related or connected. Scores represent the strength of the field at an event and current judging trends far more than best performances ever. I guess I just don’t look for scoring to reflect that but on a level of skills and performing I do think the ladies discipline is stronger than ever. Top to bottom.

I think, unfortunately, complete skating isn't being trained. We either have people relying on technical achievements, or artistic achievements, but not both. For this reason, I cannot get behind the claim that this is a strong ladies field.

I do agree that lower ranked ladies have a good technical arsenal now, as compared to a few years back. But even then, at the top we have: Med and Zag who sacrifice quality for Tanos and backloading, Osmond and Kostner with their inability to show up for the LP and Satoko with her tiny, under-rotated jumps.

- - - Updated - - -

You think so? I don't.

Well, I do. You can see how I scored Alina and Mirai's PCS here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?69730-Score-the-Team-Event-skaters-pairs!&p=1968016#post1968016

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
if you want the sport to draw an audience you just need american skaters to win. the loss of the "casual" audience is only happening in the US. in japan popularity of the sport is bigger than ever

Not popular enough now to have a decent pairs or ice dance team, unfortunately.

It's not about winning, it's about sports culture. Compared to Russia, North America doesn't care as much about figure skating.... it has nothing to do with the IJS making skating "watchable", and everything to do with the fact that there is WAY less emphasis placed on interest compared to major league sports, except around the Olympics.

HOWEVER, I know a lot of Canadians (including co-workers who didn't even care about figure skating) who were glued to their sets yesterday and thrilled when the team won.

And a lot of them were astounded, having never watched much figure skating before -- especially some of the lifts in ice dance, the throws in pairs, and the jumps/spins in men's and ladies.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think, unfortunately, complete skating isn't being trained. We either have people relying on technical achievements, or artistic achievements, but not both. For this reason, I cannot get behind the claim that this is a strong ladies field.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I do. You can see how I scored Alina and Mirai's PCS here: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?69730-Score-the-Team-Event-skaters-pairs!&p=1968016#post1968016

You are not the judges. 64 is probably as good as it gets for Mirai, fairly or not.

You are not the judges. 64 is probably as good as it gets for Mirai, fairly or not.

That's a thread for your own opinions. So I made a post. And even then I don't disagree with your statement that "64 is as good as it gets for Mirai" seeing that it's a lower score from me.