2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP | Page 160 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Mens SP

readernick

Medalist
Anyone else love reading Dick Button on twitter... loved having him participate even if we see things differently at times. His mind and wit are as sharp as ever. Hoping he sends Nathan some advice...

Yes, for sure. I have been enjoying his insights.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Day four of I-am-going-to-watch-fs-four-nights-in-a-row-tired-already-but-who-cares challenge completed! Since events are finished circa 5.30-6.30 am my time, I go to work at 8am, instead of 9/10am as usually - and after sharing with my teammates that I'm watching FS at night, they think I'm a bit nutty, but also voice respect to see me with open eyes and functioning brain:laugh:

I have to say...what an event. Honestly did not expect as much positive excitement prevailing over fear about splat/heartbreak we saw all season long in Men's skating. I am glad to see so much of variety presented, there was probably everything for anyone's tastes I think - and from competitive point of view, there was a spirit of one performance carried into another; yeah, there were also disappointments, but it is more connected to become a contender in real life, not being only proclaimed as one based on papers and press. Watching last 2 groups especially, a though struck me that they really all have a talent, developed on different levels, in various areas, but to become a contender you have to shape it rightly and control it tightly, in body and mind - and not a lot of skaters are capable of growing that particular skill, which is for me way harder/complicated to achieve than any quad. And to become a champion, a winner you have to prove it all, when it matters, despite everything spinning around: press, media attention, injuries, nerves, pressure, expectations, reputation, other skaters. It's not even about 'domination' in the field at this point for me - it is more about adjusting all outside circumstances to skater's own routine, not the other way around; I personally think that Nathan or Mikhail's SP like we saw today (and during TE, which provides some 'consistency' in that matter...) are partially a consequence of making them jump too far ahead of themselves (no pun intended), getting them moulded to some abstract concept or image projected, instead of letting them constructing their own competitive mindset and 'wave', not using anyone else's one. On the other side we have Boyang, who in my opinion already has developed his own competitive mindset to follow and keeps solidifying it steadily, proving that he has maturity and awareness in him and about his own contender's status (looking especially at his GPF withdrawal and what happened next), or Dmitri, who progresses as a competitor in his own pace after injury, getting more and more control over his talent, skill, reflected so far in every outing since Nationals. I mean, they all have their own 'demons' and issues to encounter, but I think that only few know themselves - or have team around to know - which ones to face first, which not to face at all. In event like this, field as deep and unpredictable like this, competitive maturity and learning from all experience really makes a difference in my opinion, which showed today in results.

Amazing to see Adam having time of his life - he's really alluring and interests people by this sassy approach, particularity and boldness of expression. What I really love watching him is no separation between his persona and his skating: he don't pretend to be someone else or like someone else, but does him on full force while moving, interpreting, expressing emotions. And he brings some unique energy to the competition for me, this lightness of atmosphere - paradox thing is that he seems glamorous, vivacious, but at the same quite approachable. I think it's rare to see this kind of 'laid-back' kind of material pulled off so well - Adam really did it naturally and 'owned' the moment by having little Ibiza party in Korea;). He seemed tight/cautious at the beginning (like a lot of guys), but unlike some he strived on the music and thrill of performance, really bringing the dynamic out (that save on 3A tho...I covered my eyes seeing his position in the air:hopelessness:). Perfect position in FS in my opinion - hope that 'Birds' FS will really fly high tomorrow, because that program is just a jewel.

I found myself very in liking of Jorik, Keegan, Alexei and Deniss' performances, issues or not. They are have this distinctive carriage and style of presentation in them in my opinion, so easy to recognize. Loved Alexei's step sequence today - he was on fire and hit the music HARD, having so much fun emanating from him, loved his smile and joy at the end. Keegan's musicality, swiftness, showmanship shone through everything - so happy for him to have a debut like that! A pure charmer for me that blossoms and excels while being on ice, and that's another rare ability: to thrive and lost on your own performance, simply enjoying the moment and spotlight. My heart sank for Deniss after that fall on 3A, but gosh - he really takes in every experience he has a chance to get. It really shows how pliable, attentive student/skater he is, the progress in performance quality and carriage between last season and now is astounding for me...He just needs more control over his jumps and overall composure competition-wise, because he's already a quality man out there. Hope his Sway FS will be fire!

As I already said, Boyang just keeps pushing through, regardless of what others are doing - he just making his own stuff better and better. I really see now the benefit of skipping GPF and giving himself time to heal and regroup - there is just new, fresh energy in his step now, fierce, confident look about his expression. Again, the progress he has done each season is just amazing to witness - and not only in technical/performance/presentation sense; he really became a contender AND a champion with right mindset and attack to respond strongly for best performances of others, like today. I love to see him so non-intimidated and determined, invested into his own program, performance of it; the program itself is a great fit for Boyang: I think there is just right balance in design/choreography to highlight his technical capability, at the same time show some character. Speaking of execution/technical content - now, that was 4Lz rocketing into stratosphere:drama:, the height of it on replays looked freaking insane! Also, great step sequence and nice general flow throughout whole routine for me; music choice helped too in my opinion, it added more flourish, edge and sophistication factor, made Jin more 'matured'-looking. His FS really grew on me during the season, so I hope for a great performance of it, even with bar lounge music break in-between (it's like adding cutest Boyang face from last year FS into something more serious, so I am not complaining;)).

This performance of Shoma's SP I liked probably the most from all his outings this season - it really built upwards along with music gradually, with more and more power accumulated. The step sequence followed by pause along with final spin reflecting musical tempo change to perfection are one of my fave moments in Men's programs this season overall - just so strong, impactful to see, with great amount of detail exposed, yet still integrated within the whole program quite effortlessly. I love how the program is composed from steady flow and a kind of delicacy in its first part, then 'speeding up' with highlighting/hitting up those musical accents. It is not 'Legends' SP I adore like crazy (because its edgy, dynamic, out-there a bit), but I feel like it emphasises more of Shoma's maturity, control over music/movement/performance in more 'classic' sense; still - his musicality, how he reflects music through his expression and movement, how he feels out everything and letting it out shine is one of my favourite things to see. And again, he's still very young, but with already stabilized mindset over competing, over having his own skill/material in the grip, able to focus on his own position and aim to deliver - it's quite commendable for me to see such approach and such strong performance produced on a big stage and among the biggest names.

I think that Yuzuru was way more hungry and in anticipation for that particular SP event and performance than all his fans to be honest - it really was visible, the pure joy, affection and consummation on his face since stepping on ice. And the performance itself spoke much louder, more sound than he would ever articulate I feel - it was a gift for us all and a statement made for him. Like with Boyang's case, I feel totally renewed energy and spring/punch in Yuzuru's step after this whole break from seeing him competing - but it is still passionate, still so engaged, still so much 'to the people', not keeping the expression/emotion only to himself. There's a sense of utter unity, completion, fulfilment about a skater and a program for me in this situation - Chopin's Ballade enriches Yuzuru and likewise, his skating elevates the music to some new grounds of perception. It's classical, but at the same very current, harmonious, yet differentiated emotion/interpretation-wise, looking effortlessly sublime, but it's always the hardest thing to achieve: the simplicity, easiness of the visual created. I feel that the program grew along him and now, after this break from competition thrill, it's even more special in its own meaning. And one more thing that I realized once again, when it comes to Yuzuru - he is a very driven skater, fierce competitor with champion's mindset developed on incredible high level and he strives for pushing his skating forward, but in all honesty he seems to not even need 'fireworks' in his skating, big tricks to captivate crowds and create unforgettable experience to re-live; impression, excitement/interest about 'fireworks' (e.g. multiple quads) is immediate, but can be quickly gone, it is Yuzuru's presence and character that are explosive enough in my opinion, making anything he executes pretty special, signature-like. Today's performance was incredibly subtle, genuine, full of light and lightness, despite all weight of the competition that means a lot to Yuzuru. But I feel like separation, break from competing gave him another perspective and experience to build on and enrich his performances; it's palpable to feel that he came to do his absolute best he is capable of at the moment - and honestly, I have no doubt it can be enough to win, the confidence, belief aura around his every step is that strong.

And while Yuzuru's performance was 'regal', mesmerizing and a joy to watch, two other ones caught me just deeper this time around - they were Dmitri and Javier's.

Dmitri - well, fate is sometimes cruel, but right amount of time, dedication and patience towards skill and capability can create a new, stronger character altogether. Dmitri really, REALLY stepped up his own game coming from injury and proved that his Europeans' resurgence into competition as a contender was not an accident - he owned this particular moment and controlled everything just splendidly, I was totally speechless after he finished. What a class, polish, carriage, such maturity and understanding of music/performance creation from that performance. This is for me an example of someone who grows into competitor's position by steadily getting better, continuously getting more and more his potential/talent realized, gaining consistency in that. This SP is greatly effective and doing the impression by a good fit into Dmitri's elegance and refinement - there is an intricate sense of musicality (all elements perfectly hit within the musical accents), posture, gesture that respects the character of music and creates cohesion, harmony between what he looks, what he does, how he expresses things. And I think that one cannot just go wrong with 'Masquerade Waltz', this is such powerful piece and with skater like Dmitri it can get only better; he adds to it this youthful energy, modern touch, this charm of the dance translated into singles' program (which is not so obvious, nor easy to get). And when I think that he was not even in talks for Olympic spot in December blows my mind after seeing him skating like he did today. Seeing his coaches so proud and moved was a joy today, especially Rukavitcyn, and putting in perspective what FS Dmitri has, it has potential to be something special.

Chaplin medley SP from Javier may not be very showy, but he probably never had such program that would mix a bit of nostalgic and entertaining elements I find in this particular SP. The program is build for me on small details, little intricacies, sublime musicality, a bit of cheeky flirt with audience and playing onto Chaplin's character, but making it more individual. The choreography manages to highlight both skater and the music, making a stunning duet - there is a great balance between impactful elements and an opportunity to enjoy the performance as a whole, Javier's brilliant performer's skills on a display. There is such stylish, sophisticated feel in how the program flows, despite being about 'vintage' character and story. I think that the program is much more 'wholesome' and mature, trying to show Javier's complexity of skills, abilities, great competitive flourish around his work - and due to that, it may be more difficult to immediately warm to, be charmed by it. Would it be Flamenco SP there, executed like Javier did today, it would get 2 pts more at least I feel; I'm just not so keen anymore on boxing Javier inside just one convention and type of programs that suits him. This season's ones are not only a challenge for him, but also a challenge for audience - I personally love both of them and mostly how personally they get performed by Javier.

I think this will be one hell of a final - and no matter what results will be, there will be a heartbreak nonetheless...

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
I like Shoma's short program a bit better than Nathan's. But, I think they are both better than the other skaters who were seen as vying for medals. Javier's program is cute and well performed but not that stunning to me and Hanyu's is great but we have seen it so so many times before :)

I agree about Shoma vs Nathan, as well as Javi's SP. I thought his SP last season was fantastic and this is not quite at the same level (for me, I can't really speak about difficulty etc.). I guess last year was more ~intense while this year it's more cute :eek::

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Did you see it live tonight? It's a super score, and I'm sure Yuzuru is thrilled about it. But once you've reached 112, 111 isn't the same score anymore. Once you've reached 109, like Fernandez, 107 is high, but not as high. It's only human to expect a higher score than before and especially at the Olympics. Aliona/Bruno's GPF Long, to be honest, I think it was better than in Pyeongchang. They got a new record anyway. It's the Olympics.

No, I did not - we only go for the free. Yuzuru would have more than 112 if he had not lost the level on the spin. Not sure about Javi - may be he was not as perfect as when hitting 109. Aliev's 42 pcs when Nathan got 41.88 and his quite reserved combined GOE of just +6.4 when Bojang who was as good but not IMO better received +9 - this I think is much more serious as Aliev has to be much better (namely not to fall while others fall) to stayin contention for bronze.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
He was 19, I believe?? and he had participated at the two previous world championships. So, he had more experience than Nathan and had definitely gone through some ups and down. I think my comment has merit. But, Yuzuru definitely has better mental conditioning. No doubt about that. I think Raphael really loves Nathan. Definitely, his favorite student. But, Hanyu has a whole team of people helping him prepare physically and mentally. I don't think Nathan has that. Probably, because he seems so business like but you know "quiet waters run deep" and I think under that calm exterior is a huge mess of emotions that need to be dealt with.

Oh, don't get me wrong your comment definitely has merit! I was just adding to it :) And you're right, Yuzu has just turned 19 two months before he won, but all in all I think no man in this competition is facing more pressure and expectations than Yuzu - coming after an injury, reigning olympic and world champion, holding all the WR... I would die of heart attack if I would have to take his place :laugh:
I also believe Raph loves Nathan very much, maybe he just doesn't know how to mentally prepare him?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who thinks that Aliev was heavily underscored in PCS? Even Ge's PCS are higher. :no:

This.

I understand that this is his first season in seniors and most importantly he didn't have a huge PB in the short, but his lines and his edges are much stronger than Chen, Rippon, Jin and even Kolyada. He should have been closer to Jin in the overall score, considering the chinese was clearly skating behind the music in the second half cause he took much more time to set the axel.

Blushingheart

Match Penalty
This.

I understand that this is his first season in seniors, but his lines and his edges are much stronger than Chen, Rippon, Jin and even Kolyada. He should have been closer to Jin in the overall score, considering the chinese was clearly skating behind the music in the second half cause he took much more time to set the axel.

Sorry, chen's step sequnce was fantastic, better then Aliev's. Much deeper edges. aliev is quite juniorish

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't know guys. Nathan, up to the team event, was undefeated. He won both his GPs and the GPF (yes, I know the field was diluted somewhat). I don't think it was off base to say he was a gold medal contender.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that media hype was probably just part (and not even a big part) of his issues. Sometimes you want something so bad, you overthink it, which is what I think actually happened here. I hope he recovers in the free. ....

Agree :agree:.

Sending lots of hugs to Nathan :ghug:.
And wishing him all the luck in the world for the FS.

RAF needs a team to complement his technical knowledge. Imagine what his center would be with fitness coaches, dance & choreo coaches, and a counselor for competitive stresses. It works in Montreal, Toronto and to a lesser degree at DSC, Canton, and Colorado Springs. It is a matter of finding the right people and being able to trust and work with them. I wonder if RAF could be a team player or if he feels he needs to be in control. Kinda the same as Tom Z.

Couple of thoughts on teamwork:

I think it is pretty clear that Nathan's team includes USOC trainer Brandon Siakel in a big way. Although he does not work exclusively with Nathan, Brandon was with him at the U.S. Classic, at Skate America, and at Nationals. Possibly/probably at other comps too.

I think Tom Z is open to being a team player. He shares coaching duties for Vincent with Gambill, Krall, and Meekins, for example. TZ skaters work with Ben Agosto, among others. TZ skaters utilize USOC resources (in Colorado Springs and elsewhere), such as the OTC, sports psychologist, Brandon. Etc.​

I'm sad that Julian and Denis did not qualify for the FS.
Happy re Aliev, Kerry, Rizzo, and more.
Best to all who will compete in the FS.

charlotte14

Medalist
Aliev is also only 18 and he mangad
To control the jitters and finish his SP
;)
Aliev is amazing but I don't think he can handle the amount of media attention that Nathan was getting during this Olympic season. I think it is easier to skate well when no one expects you to do so or pay little attention to you than when everyone expects you to do well. It's nerve-breaking.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
To me with Nathan the mistake was to let him skate in the Team Event. Honestly some people created too much expectations to that competition which shouldn't be as important as the individual events

Already at Nationals he won but he didn't skate a great FP: Considering how much hype NBC, Vox and others created around him, he should have gone under the radar for a while just to refresh his mind.

I don't remember who said this (maybe Johnny at NBC, or it was one of these fluffs videos) but Yagudin was very nervous going into the 2002 Olympics and there were huge expectations on him so he spent two weeks in a mountain cabin before the event, no one knew where he was and then when he returned he looked so confident and refreshed and he ended up winning the gold.

Tarasova used to force her skaters to skip nationals going into the Olympics when they know they are already part of the Olympic team (she did it with Yagudin, Kulik, Grishuk/Platov,...) and honestly Nathan could have done the same thing here.

whatif

Medalist
Well Aliev looked like he was about to collapse on the ice when he took it. You can literally see his entire body violently shaking in high definition. Yet he could handle it last night. So he already managing better than some.

slider11

Medalist
Am I the only one who thinks that Aliev was heavily underscored in PCS? Even Ge's PCS are higher. :no:

Aliev was great and deserves being in the top group. But if you look at the quality of Misha Ge's skating, how smooth and elegant it is-how he floats on top of the ice and every movement of his body corresponds with the music - well, that's true artistry. Dimitri has a bold and gutsy skating style but, imo, it is a bit rough around the edges, at times. He is young and this will develop; Dimitri is Russia's future star.

Xorasy

Rinkside
It just dawned on me that at least one of the top 4 won't medal. I'm not ready to think about who that might be... Especially since they all did so well. But who knows what happens tonight. If all 4 went clean (heyyy it *could* happen) it would be gutting.

I watched the Swedish version of Eurosport and they were surprisingly muted in their Hanyu response, and in advance thought Chen would be it, including that he had "the best choreographed SP of the men's field" (a bold claim for non-NBC no?). I appreciate the different perspective honestly, even if I don't agree.

I've been watching figure skating on Swedish Eurosport the last years, and they've never really liked Hanyu (I believe). They are rarely super impressed, and even when he does well they'll say something like, it's his reputation as a xxx-champion. They don't really appreciate his skating skills but have they've been hyping Nathan since the last year. If I remember correctly they might have said that Nathan was more of a complete package compared to Hanyu (Don't quote me on this). It's not fun listening to them when Hanyu has a bad skate, I've honestly been dreading having to watch the olympics with them commentating. (They do however take notice of things like people not having steps into the solo jump in the SP, not having correct positions in spins and not having a balanced jump layout regarding skating in only clockwise/counterclockwise circles and jumping (which they mention every time Zagitova skates her LP) and so on). I haven't heard their commentary for the men's though, hoping it wasn't too bad!

Blondie12

On the Ice
Interesting question. It was such a different time. Media was all print and scheduled TV. None of this 24/7 stuff. I'm sure both Brians would say that it was intense but I have to believe that this era athletes have so much more to contend with. Yet Hanyu seems to handle it. Nathan needs to find the joy and peace that a skater like Adam Rippon has found. They may be very different people but the destination is the same.

There was a wonderful documentary on the olympic channel called calgary '88 based on the skaters that year. They really got into the battle of the brians, about how that "title" was started by one of the magazines, and how much respect each skater had for each other. They periodically run those documentaries on olympic channel so look for it after the games. very interesting as they interview both of them now too in it.

I was a child then but i distinctly remember the rivalries- they also really hyped up debbie thomas as well as roslyn in '84- kinda the cold war thing i guess. They focused more on the ladies because we had a viable lady that year - debi thomas - against witt but there was still alot of attention paid to brian.

here unlike then all the media attention went to nathan. there was no obsession about a lady skater as it was then so bb probably felt it less since more attention went to debi. And debi bombed in the free under the pressure.

It's a shame for nathan because i blame alot of this on the media and/or distractions caused by the media and perhaps a coach that maybe did not know how to properlly balnace out those demands.

readernick

Medalist
Aliev is also only 18 and he mangad
To control the jitters and finish his SP
;)

He had no pressure. Not the same situation. No one thought he would win or even be top 5. Nathan did great when he was the underdog too :) But, I hope Aliev stays consistent. I like him.

icybear

Medalist
The figure skating events finally feel like an Olympic atmosphere. Last few events felt so dead and felt more like a challenger event because 90% of the time the audience didn't clap or even acknowledge the skater on the ice and only seem to exist when there was an Korean skater on. I guess it's because of the vast number of Hanyu fans present who clapped for other skaters. Hope the ice dance and ladies event will get a good crowd reception.

treeloving

Medalist
Men competition is unpredictable, I will not surprise ,for example, if Nathan land everything tomorrow and get on podium.

da96103

Record Breaker
To me with Nathan the mistake was to let him skate in the Team Event. Honestly some people created too much expectations to that competition which shouldn't be as important as the individual events

Already at Nationals he won but he didn't skate a great FP: Considering how much hype NBC, Vox and others created around him, he should have gone under the radar for a while just to refresh his mind.

I don't remember who said this (maybe Johnny at NBC, or it was one of these fluffs videos) but Yagudin was very nervous going into the 2002 Olympics and there were huge expectations on him so he spent two weeks in a mountain cabin before the event, no one knew where he was and then when he returned he looked so confident and refreshed and he ended up winning the gold.

Tarasova used to force her skaters to skip nationals going into the Olympics when they know they are already part of the Olympic team (she did it with Yagudin, Kulik, Grishuk/Platov,...) and honestly Nathan could have done the same thing here.

In retrospect, he should have skipped Nationals. That was when the 4Lz made its absence be known. Something must have happened before that.