2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 349 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

kiamma

Rinkside
Sasha’s 4T was obviously a downgrade (that fall looked very painful too), but did she get full credit for her salchow? Is there a protocol for all the skaters I could look at?

I adore Anna S and Sasha, I’m glad they placed 1&2 here!

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Subdued?! Eteri looked like someone had hit her over the head! She barely knew what to do with her face. Her jaw literally dropped and was hanging open for a good few seconds.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Eteri coaches Alina every single day, there could be nothing surprising in her success. If she didn't want her to do well she would have ignored her and gave Evgenia all the attention. That doesn't mean she can't also be sad that Evgenia isn't positioned for gold after all the work they put in as well.

Resa

On the Ice
Sasha’s 4T was obviously a downgrade (that fall looked very painful too), but did she get full credit for her salchow? Is there a protocol for all the skaters I could look at?

I adore Anna S and Sasha, I’m glad they placed 1&2 here!

What competition is it?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
What competition is it?
Russia Cup Final.

That Shcherbakova only lost to a 2-quad Trusova by 2 points in the FS and even beat her in PCS was so incredible :love: Not to mention placing first over the JGPers Tarakanova and Trusova(Especially after Trusova's best FS ever) hopefully shows that they have great faith in her.

It's such a shame that this wasn't the important competition and that we won't be seeing her at worlds. Judging by her performance in the past 2 competition, she'd be fire! Next season, next season~

Outside of Trusova, Shcherbakova(assuming full backloading success) has highest base value on her FS layout, over 66 points(for senior) and about the same as Zagitova :love:

4S, 4T, 3Lz+3Lo, 3F+1Lo+3S, 3Lz, 3F+3T, 2A
that's what i call THE LAYOUT! :shocked:

Sasha starts to scare me! This girl has no fear at all

Now she just needs to replace the 2A with a 3A and she has what I depicted as her ultimate layout earlier during the season! 85+ BV if it was a senior program.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Eteri coaches Alina every single day, there could be nothing surprising in her success. If she didn't want her to do well she would have ignored her and gave Evgenia all the attention. That doesn't mean she can't also be sad that Evgenia isn't positioned for gold after all the work they put in as well.

But she was surprised, no, shocked and dazed are more fitting descriptors.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

I'm thinking that's what it is. Eteri has been building this tower with Evgenia for the past two and a half years. This was supposed to be her coronation...and then (seemingly) out of nowhere Alina comes in and topples the tower. I'm sure Eteri wants both of them to be successful but it feels like this was supposed to be Evgenia's turn and this was supposed to be her medal. At this rate, if Alina skates cleanly in the FS there is no way Evgenia can beat her.

Must be pretty sad. I'm sure Eteri knew one of her students would walk away with gold here but I'd bet she figured it would be Evgenia. Whoever wins, I'm sure she'll be happy. But I do get the sense that Alina finishing 2nd won't sting as much as Evgenia finishing 2nd.

Lightstar

On the Ice
I think eteri is always kind of surprised how high alinad scores are! Especially het pcs because she isn't the same refinded skatet as evgenia and eteri knows that. To me it always seems like eteri doesn't understand the points given to alina and she looks weird because of that!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
At this rate, if Alina skates cleanly in the FS there is no way Evgenia can beat her.

I think it's possible for Evgenia to beat a clean Alina. In the SP, Evgenia skated first and still beat Alina on PCS; that gap will likely increase in the LP when Evgenia skates last. Evgenia's lutz doesn't look like it's going to get called, based on how the panel evaluated Kaetlyn's. The two women do their jump in the same area of the rink, so if the footage couldn't allow the panel to conclude Kaetlyn flutzed it probably won't for Evgenia either. That alone will improve Evgenia's TES ~2 points. History is also on Evgenia's side. In the last 6 Olympics, only once (2010) did the SP leader win gold.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Alina and Evgenia but sad for Maria.

Russia desperately needs one of these two great young skaters to win the gold tomorrow to lift up the country's beleaguered sports program. Russia / OAR are having a disastrous Winter Olympics the worst in the country's history at least from what I remember.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
In the last 6 Olympics, only once (2010) did the SP leader win gold.
While that's true, Zagitova's FS is just ridiculous and that's the program Evgenia was supposed to be unable to compete with, not the SP.

There will be around 4 points of BV advantage for Zagitova and she gets more GOE for the spins at least. Considering that they are probably only going to give her 2 PCS less and that she's in the lead anyway, it'll take a big mistake by Zagitova.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
While that's true, Zagitova's FS is just ridiculous and that's the program Evgenia was supposed to be unable to compete with, not the SP.

There will be around 4 points of BV advantage for Zagitova and she gets more GOE for the spins at least. Considering that they are probably only going to give her 2 PCS less and that she's in the lead anyway, it'll take a big mistake by Zagitova.

Eteri might feel some guilt for not setting up Evgenia for success by backloading even more of her jumps in the LP. The assumption until Europeans was that Evgenia would win if clean, but Alina has gotten so much closer to Evgenia's PCS than anyone would have imagined a few months ago.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
But she was surprised, no, shocked and dazed are more fitting descriptors.

Oh please...this was clearly always a possibility, especially after Euros. Eteri is no oblivious fool who doesn't understand how PCS gets doled out these days.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Eteri might feel some guilt for not setting up Evgenia for success by backloading even more of her jumps in the LP. The assumption until Europeans was that Evgenia would win if clean, but Alina has gotten so much closer to Evgenia's PCS than anyone would have imagined a few months ago.

Well that's a bit of a consequence by the early overscoring in PCS when she really wasn't performing that well. So now that she's improving competition by competition the PCS needs to go up quite significantly... but it already was sky high, so it can only go up so high.

Still, if Kostner got 38+ for that, we could argue Zagitova even was underscored in PCS.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is so disguesting. Shame on you, WADA
its dsgusting to treat a 15 year old like that. smh. And then crazy Christine Brennan a journalistic hack of Epic Proportions from USA Today has been attacking Alina's program as if she's breaking the rules makes me all the happier that she skated so well in the short program. This writer Brennan doesnt hide her disdain for Russian skaters. This pretty fragile looking girl Alina is tough as nails though.

madison

Record Breaker
I wonder if Alina retires if she wins the OGM. I hope not. She should stay at least another 1-2 seasons.
What did Sotnikova do after winning OGM? I remember that she wanted to continue, but she was injured.