2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating | Page 332 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of U.S. Ladies Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
It doesn't look like we're going to keep 3 spots for next year. I wish I could say that I'm surprised but, I'm not.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It doesn't look like we're going to keep 3 spots for next year. I wish I could say that I'm surprised but, I'm not.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, but if I were a betting man, I'd wager you are right.

Although from my expert eye viewing on my phone earlier today, I think that Osmond, Satoko, and Soltskova were all over-scored a tad. The scores are still tight enough that placements can shift.

stormblade

Rinkside
I'm taking a wait and see approach, but if I were a betting man, I'd wager you are right.

Although from my expert eye viewing on my phone earlier today, I think that Osmond, Satoko, and Soltskova were all over-scored a tad. The scores are still tight enough that placements can shift.

I agree Osmond and Sotskova were overscored. Miyahara less so, since she received < on her combo. A more strict technical panel could have dinged her 3Lz but she's typically underscored on PCS for what she puts out there so I think the scoring was fair.

Bradie is very consistent in the free so I think she can hold on to her placement at least if she skates clean, maybe even move up a spot or two. Her PCS mark is low but her technique is solid. It will all depend on Mirai.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Now now debbie doubter don't lose faith. Bradie Tennell could be in the top five. Two Canadian girls are ahead and vulnerable as well as bland Maria and heck if judges are fair it isn't too far a stretch to see Kostner bomb though the judges will hold her up - how high is yet to be seen. Then Mirai can move up a spot or two. Those Canadian ladies are vulnerable.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know that Mirai didn't go for the 3A and her 3T on her 3F-3T was << but I will say, quality wise, it was the best I have seen from her this season. The musicality, the interpretation.

Did she double the axel purposely? I did wonder, because it was such a nice 2A. I'll have to watch the program again with an eye to musicality and interpretation. Thanks for the heads-up. I've gotten used to not even expecting those things from her.

I can see Bradie moving up to 6th or even 5th; Mirai may be more of a stretch to move up 2 spots, imo. But nothing is impossible; this is figure skating! I hope all three will have great free skates. I actually had a fantasy moment today, thinking that Mariah could pull a Nathan. He was in 17th after SP olympics; she's in 17th after SP Worlds! I know, I know, she's way far from being able to win the FS and pull up that far ... but I hope at least she gets mad (at herself) and has her own revenge/redemption skate. She's got nothing to lose.

Barb

Record Breaker

I don´t understand the obsession with the 3 spots, I mean, USA has 3 spots right now and look at the way they are using it :eek:hwell:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
With Mirai and Ashley most likely gone next year, who of note will there be to fill 3 spots anyway? Polina is injured, Chen has UR and boot problems, Starr doesn't have a lutz, Mariah has 3/3-itis, and the rest just haven't measured up. It's Bradie and ???

TylerW

Spectator
I might be late to bring this up (considering I don't have time or energy to go through 442 pages :biggrin: ), but has Alysa Liu been on anyone's radar? This little skating star won't be age eligible for senior comp. for a while, but I'm excited to see how she matures! I'm hoping she doesn't burn out before coming to the senior stage. If she can keep the momentum, I feel like she could become a success for the US on the international stage.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Pleasantly surprised by Bradie... But then again, her consistency shouldn't really be a surprise anymore - PC was actually the one time she didn't skate clean. I think she will be a rock for US women this coming quad! She just has to improve her artistry :)

Mirai... I don't know. Much as I like her, I really do feel like she's constantly being overestimated, when in reality even with the 3A and all she still hasn't broken 200 points internationally. I respect her and admire her A LOT for learning the 3A so late and being gutsy, but yeah. I really do feel like she's been overestimated this season. She's inconsistent and a lot of her jumps lack quality.

Mariah :confused2:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I might be late to bring this up (considering I don't have time or energy to go through 442 pages :biggrin: ), but has Alysa Liu been on anyone's radar? This little skating star won't be age eligible for senior comp. for a while, but I'm excited to see how she matures! I'm hoping she doesn't burn out before coming to the senior stage. If she can keep the momentum, I feel like she could become a success for the US on the international stage.

... people literally were just talking about her. Scroll up or go back one page.... anyways yes she just landed a quarter off 3a. She’s incredible and everyone hopes she will be able to success.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I don´t understand the obsession with the 3 spots, I mean, USA has 3 spots right now and look at the way they are using it :eek:hwell:
This is kind of true. It was a bigger deal when we had 3 ladies who deserved to go to worlds and had at least an outside chance of medaling.

But I think having multiple ladies of similar skill vying for 2 spots often creates or at least contributes to "headcase" problems. If you think about it, the most consistent ladies are those whose positions within at least their home countries are secure. This might be a bit of a chicken or egg problem--the most consistent skaters are also likely to be most secure in their titles. But in the U.S. at least, our skaters have done best when there's been a clear 1-2, and as between those 2, they push each other to be better. Gracie/Ashley, Michelle/Sasha, etc. When there are too many people vying for too few spots, it generates insecurity, nerves, and pressure.

brightphoton

Medalist
Thought this might be interesting. Former competitive American skater, Jamie Jo (Burns is her married name) talks about her abusive coach who verbally and physically abused his skaters, and her friend who had anorexia.
My abusive figure skating life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo

Verbal abuse from coach.
Another one of his methods was to take the skaters to the point of the ice rink, where the parents and the coaches and the other skaters couldn't reach him as easily, and to say awful things to them. He would take me to that corner after I've done a skate -- it didn't matter if it was good or bad -- and he would say bad things to me. As a kid, I felt like him doing that was all my fault.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=3m40s

Physical abuse from coach. He secretly took Jamie to a secluded room for "off-ice choreography lessons" but he started hitting her. Later, her coach billed her mother $400 for the sessions in which he beat her. He also choreographed only half of her program, and she had to make up her program on the spot at competitions. Eventually her mother fired him and he socially shunned Jamie. However, because he was a very popular and respected coach, when he started shunning her, everyone else at the rink started shunning her too.

The off-ice started okay. It started out all right. Then he got aggressive, and then he hit me. Then I went to my mom, and she was yelling at me. She was furious. She was so furious as she couldn't find me. I felt like I had done something wrong, so when she asked me if he had done anything, I said, "No." I said, "No, it was fine. He just taught me choreography."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=4m47s

Her friend almost died due to anorexia.
She would jump rope until her body was physically crying, and she herself was not realizing that she was crying. No one really wanted to see what was happening. It wasn't until the day that her heart stopped, and she had to go to the hospital, that people realized they should be listening. The scary thing is sometimes coaches and parents encourage anorexia in figure skating. They go after skaters for having a candy bar after skating for four hours. Are you kidding me? They need a candy bar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=7m28s

Jamie said that competitive figure skating made her lose her innocence and had long-term effects.
Figure skating: it did teach me discipline. And it did force me to grow up sooner than I think I should have. Being put in the situations that I was put in it, it definitely made me lose my innocence, if that makes sense. Which is probably why I overindulge now in Disney and stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=9m05s

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Thought this might be interesting. Former competitive American skater, Jamie Jo (Burns is her married name) talks about her abusive coach who verbally and physically abused his skaters, and her friend who had anorexia.
My abusive figure skating life
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo

Verbal abuse from coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=3m40s

Physical abuse from coach. He secretly took Jamie to a secluded room for "off-ice choreography lessons" but he started hitting her. Later, her coach billed her mother $400 for the sessions in which he beat her. He also choreographed only half of her program, and she had to make up her program on the spot at competitions. Eventually her mother fired him and he socially shunned Jamie. However, because he was a very popular and respected coach, when he started shunning her, everyone else at the rink started shunning her too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=4m47s

Her friend almost died due to anorexia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=7m28s

Jamie said that competitive figure skating made her lose her innocence and had long-term effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM0KLcgHsLo&t=9m05s

Wow, that's horrifying. :( Thanks for sharing the links.

brightphoton

Medalist
US down to 2 spots

Final standings:

Bradie in 6th (7th in SP, 4th in FS)
Mirai in 10th (9th in SP, 11th in FS)
Mariah in 12th (17th in SP, 12th in FS)