2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 407 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Alina vs. Evgenia. One is missing her World title and the other her Olympic title. Plenty to motivate them. They're still the best guys!
I'm kind of worried about Zagitova. Hopefully she is going to be able to actually bounce back next season and won't have serious struggles.

Although, perhaps it's time for the fed to actually consider getting Gubanova to seniors next season already... They really can't rely on getting 3 spots with a 5+8 in the case Medvedeva happens to get injured.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Well in the end, they almost lost their three spots but not because of Stanislava (well, kind of) or Masha but because of Alina. Crazy.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Well in the end, they almost lost their three spots but not because of Stanislava (well, kind of) or Masha but because of Alina. Crazy.
Kind of. But I think that if the situation had been a bit more comfortable and Alina wasn't being relied on so much to secure the spots, she could have been more comfortable and handled the pressure better. For example, if Tsurskaya had had a usual skate and placed above Bradie, there'd have been much more leeway for Alina.

Grin

Medalist
Kinda heartbroken for Alina. There will be a ****storm of course, but it dosen't really matter, she will be fine.

P.S. Suddenly I'm worried about puremagic more than I'm worried about Alina.

madison

Record Breaker
Kind of. But I think that if the situation had been a bit more comfortable and Alina wasn't being relied on so much to secure the spots, she could have been more comfortable and handled the pressure better. For example, if Tsurskaya had had an usual skate and placed above Bradie, there'd have been much more leeway for Alina.

I think she was tired.... she just didn't have enough force to rotate that jumps. Hopefully this will be an incentive for her to fight next season.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Kinda heartbroken for Alina. There will be a ****storm of course, but it dosen't really matter, she will be fine.

P.S. Suddenly I'm worried about puremagic more than I'm worried about Alina.

Upvoting for this

schizoanalyst

Medalist
Kind of. But I think that if the situation had been a bit more comfortable and Alina wasn't being relied on so much to secure the spots, she could have been more comfortable and handled the pressure better. For example, if Tsurskaya had had a usual skate and placed above Bradie, there'd have been much more leeway for Alina.

I didn't expect that from Alina, but I was expecting a skate with major errors. I think it's so hard to come off the high from an Olympic win. I said it elsewhere, but Kim and Hanyu had very weak post-Olympics skates, and both had far more experience than Alina does, so I was expecting big difficulties for her. I agree they should've put more secure backup expecting a weaker skate from her.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Further proof that Evgenia’s consistency really is one of a kind... last year after the Pogo disaster she didn’t have one wobble.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I think she was tired.... she just didn't have enough force to rotate that jumps. Hopefully this will be an incentive for her to fight next season.

Of course she was. She was ill, like, only a week ago? She was very tired, that was visible. Now i hope she gets her very well deserved rest. Just shrug it off, Alina and show us your true self in the next season!
4everAlina! :hap10: :console:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
That's true, the jumps were totally off in the SP. Wasn't very reassuring for the FS. Hmm... The first Lutz didn't look very UR if at all, not sure why exactly she fell on that actually.

On the other hand, the 3T on the 2A-3T was thoroughly UR, perhaps even a downgrade. The 3F afterwards also was UR. The 3Lo on the 3Lz-3Lo was totally UR, I'd even have given it a downgrade. The solo 3Lo afterwards was also very underrotated.

Hopefully this is just her being tired as you say...

mrrice

Record Breaker
They've already had only 2 spots at this Worlds. It doesn't matter if Russia has 2 spots or 3 with third skater being a total garbage

Just like the US. We don't need a 3rd spot at this moment. Our field is at an alltime low. I feel bad saying that but, when I went to Worlds in 2001 we finished 1st. Kwan, 3rd Hughes, and 5th Nikodinov. Times have changed.

zyxwl2015

Rinkside
Now I really hope next season they will use Tsurskaya & Gubanova & Panenkova or even Anna Tarusina in senior field, who can consistently hit at least over 65 in tes. Medvedeva and Zagitova are great, but just in case of injuries, this would this would give much less pressure on them. Of course if Radionova & Pogorilaya & Tuktamysheva bounce back it would be great.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
And this is why you should never, ever send people like Konstantinova based on internal faves and internal politics instead of actual skating because you never know when something will go wrong.

Russia is lucky they kept the 3 spots, very lucky. And I wish I could say hopefully the Fed has learned but nah.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
But it always difficult for post-Olympic WC.... and for an Olympic Champion....
Alina.... she was tired... thanks to rusfed and media that got too much pressure on her.

it was a long season.... She won 2 GP stages, GPF, RN, EC, skated her FS for the team event. than won gold... then she got sick. was forced to participate in the show, some media events... she was tired. didn't have enough time to fully recover after.
poor baby.

btw Her practices at WC were good. 1 or 2 mistakes at the most....
but i can see she's totally mentally and emotionally tired...
RusFed should buy her a plane ticket and sent her on vacation.

hanca

Record Breaker

That’s a bit unfair. Every one can have an off day, but Alina still contributed most towards the three spots. So I would blame Masha and Stanislava for not doing better, not Alina. Finishing 8 is not that great for someone who medalled at GPF!