2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 409 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

Scott512

Record Breaker
Alina may have just lost her easiest chance of winning a world title. When the officials meet there is no doubt they will make new rules concerning the back loading of jumps and tanos. Her advantage will be wiped away completely. It will be advantage Med. (if she can fully conquer her injury which will certainly be a challenge) who will have the PCS advantage. Plus all the newly arriving multi talented countrywomen who will be breathing down her back as well. She's lucky this was the Olympic season and not the season or two before.

I do feel really sorry for her though. She wasn't ready for worlds because of all the post Olympic activities she had to take part in and couldn't train properly. None of it was her fault and perhaps she should not have been there although I do give her all credit for trying when many these days wouldn't. She's a real fighter though so I expect this experience will only make her more determined to continue. Now she has a more definite goal for the future (if she had won here she would have all the titles and as many asked before, "what's left for her to achieve?").

You may be right about possible rules changes. But Alina is Olympic champion. World Championships pale in comparison especially in an olympic year. I say the European Championship Zagitova beat Medvedeva in this year will be bigger than any world championship Alina ever wins because it stopped Evgenias amaxing 2-year winning streak and Alina basically won the Olympics with that european gold. Everything changed.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I for one think this shows that Alina should better pace herself. It might sound silly, but she looked way too tired in that program, her jumps felt like they didn't have any spring into the air, and it wasn't one choke, she fell three times. It doesn't really matter if she can jump five 3l combos in a row if she's going to be dying by the time her last competition of the season comes comes around - also, I'm sometimes astounded about the number of times she jumps in her training sessions. Of course these were extenuating circumstances, but it's a lesson for the future. Just because you can do twenty of those jumps in your sleep it doesn't mean you should.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Right, although the Rusfed seems to pretend she does not exist at all, there is also Ekaterina Kurakova who was senior eligible this season.

I wonder if she would have done better than Konstantinova... Actually, I wonder if she'll ever get an international appearance. I prefer her over quite a range of skaters.

Ziotic

Medalist
Right, although the Rusfed seems to pretend she does not exist at all, there is also Ekaterina Kurakova who was senior eligible this season.

I wonder if she would have done better than Konstantinova... Actually, I wonder if she'll ever get an international appearance. I prefer her over quite a range of skaters.

I couldn’t find your other post to quote, but won’t the world standings change after worlds is updated. Are you Elizabeta will stay at 24th?

Scott512

Record Breaker
puremagic, where are you?? I need some light-hearted cheer right now...

Wonderful Alina won the Olympic gold medal about a month ago she had the best debut season ever in figure skating and she had a bump in the road today. Like many people many fans I was very surprised and sad but I shouldn't be because she was tired and she has all the pressure on her for the three spots for Russia. She never should have been there after the Olympic High. There's a lot going on in her head and body but Alina will be fine. it's time for her to have some fun and get away from figure skating like she should have done after the Olympics like all Olympic singles gold medalists do. I hope that helps Spirals. :)

MalAssada

Medalist
Are there any competitions Gubanova could go to try and improve her SB's, or is it too late for next season's GPs?

tars

Record Breaker
TAT is such a nasty woman, I can´t with her.. she basically praised Zhenya the whole time Alina was crying in K&C, I mean what does it have to do with Alina in the first place? She was like: Now you guys can see why we love Zhenya, she was reigning the last two years, please get healthy, we need you.
Like, we all want her to get fit but can she shut up with her favoritism.
Also the way she said that - so much emphasis and satisfaction, she was flying high in that moment. :noshake:
I also noticed how Grishin was commenting on Maria's scores being severely lowered due to under-rotations and TAT immediately jumped in with "just look at these three Graces!" on Sotskova, Buyanova and Tagayeva in K&C. :rolleye:

Sometimes she has cool and funny moments, but today she acted straight pathetic and vile out there.
Very biased and unprofessional behaviour for a commentator, member of fs world and simply - an elder lady. :disapp:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I couldn’t find your other post to quote, but won’t the world standings change after worlds is updated. Are you Elizabeta will stay at 24th?
They appeared to be updated to me. At least Kaetlyn had 1200 points for major competition this season which means her world championship is noted.

I was under the impression that there are no competitions left that can affect the world standings but admittedly, I could be wrong...

By the way, Kaetlyn Osmond is now #1 in world standings over Evgenia Medvedeva :eeking:

Scott512

Record Breaker
What did TAT say about Alina? i've read that she didn't even try to hide her joy. Is it true?:confused:

What? I hope not.

Alina had an off day the other 2 are just off especially SK. How she gets 2 grand prix spots is perplexing. I sure miss Adelina Sotnikova Elena and Anna Pogorilaya and Liza too. if two or three of them are still skating in events behind Medvedeva and Zagitova we could say the depth is amazing but the depth won't be there behind Medvedeva and Zagitova until Sasha and Alena are ready.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I for one think this shows that Alina should better pace herself. It might sound silly, but she looked way too tired in that program, her jumps felt like they didn't have any spring into the air, and it wasn't one choke, she fell three times. It doesn't really matter if she can jump five 3l combos in a row if she's going to be dying by the time her last competition of the season comes comes around - also, I'm sometimes astounded about the number of times she jumps in her training sessions. Of course these were extenuating circumstances, but it's a lesson for the future. Just because you can do twenty of those jumps in your sleep it doesn't mean you should.

Agreed on all points. Those five triple she did in practice before the Olympic long program was amazing and the three she did the other day at the World Championships during practice the three in a row is something she probably should put in the bag and never take out again. like you said she needs the better Pace herself and she did not pace herself this year which is why she was burned out at the end and skated like it today. Bless her heart. I'm sorry she ended up at Worlds she never should have gone after her Olympic High.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The fact that the Russian ladies scored EXACTLY 13 points to get 3 spots next year at worlds is shocking. Also the fact that Zagotova already crumbled in a competition a month after the olympics is pretty scary. Let’s hope the Lipnitskaya falling out doesn’t happen with her next season when she hits puberty, I don’t think starving herself is a good thing as she says it is (look at Gracie and Julia now).:con2:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
The fact that the Russian ladies scored EXACTLY 13 points to get 3 spots next year at worlds is shocking. Also the fact that Zagotova already crumbled in a competition a month after the olyms pics is pretty scary. Let’s hope the Lipnitskaya falling out doesn’t happen with her next season when she hits puberty, I don’t think starving herself is a good thing as she says it is (look at Gracie and Julia now).:con2:

Where is your evidence she is starving herself - she never said that
Frankly I'm suprised you care what happens with her - you already showed you were upset she won at Olympics in another topic and if I looked further I'm sure I would find other such niceties

Why is there such passive-agressive concern-trolling coming from you - its not very nice

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Where is your evidence she is starving herself - she never said that
Frankly I'm suprised you care what happens with her - you already showed you were upset she won at Olympics in another topic and if I looked further I'm sure I would find other such niceties

Why is there such passive-agressive concern-trolling coming from you - its not very nice

She said she WOULD starve herself, not that she already is. Also, I felt that Evgenia was much better than her artistically at the olympics and that her components were overscored. And sometimes, being passive aggressive is the only way a point can be made:)

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
She said she WOULD starve herself, not that she already is. Also, I felt that Evgenia was much better than her artistically at the olympics and that her components were overscored. And sometimes, being passive aggressive is the only way a point can be made:)

And just because I don’t think Alina deserved gold doesn’t mean I hate her as a person! I think she’s a really nice girl, It would be awful if she had health issues!

Miller

Final Flight
Current Russian Senior Grand Prix guarantees:

Alina Zagitova: 2 spots
Evgenia Medvedeva: 2 spots
Maria Sotskova: 2 spots
Stanislava Konstantinova: 2 spots
Elena Radionova: 2 spots
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: 2 spots
Polina Tsurskaya: 1 spot
Daria Panenkova: 1 spot
Anna Pogorilaya: 1 spot

How good it is doesn't matter, 1 spot per top 24 SB, 1 spot per top 24 world standings.

They appeared to be updated to me. At least Kaetlyn had 1200 points for major competition this season which means her world championship is noted.

I was under the impression that there are no competitions left that can affect the world standings but admittedly, I could be wrong...

By the way, Kaetlyn Osmond is now #1 in world standings over Evgenia Medvedeva :eeking:

AFAIK it's 2 guaranteed spots for top 12 at Worlds. Not sure about Olympics (anyone?). For top 24 SB or WS it's one, but not cumulative i.e. not 2 if in both. However in practice due to the number of slots to fill anyone in top 24 SB will get 2 spots, however top 24 WS will only ever get 1. After that they in practice go down the Season's Best list pretty much in order for the final invites.

On this basis, Guaranteed 2 = Alina + Maria, maybe Evgenia because of the Olympics. 1, but in practice 2 because of top 24 SB, Evgenia, Polina, Elena, Stanislava, Elizaveta, Daria (in Season's best order). Anna P will not get a guaranteed spot, I've done the calculations and she, Ashley Wagner and, believe it or not, Elena will be outside the top 24 WS after 2 years ago is dropped and last year becomes 70%. This is done before the selection meeting BTW.

Hence it should be that the 8 I've listed, but not Anna will get 2 spots. Anna would need a generous invitation and the Host Pick to get 2 spots and fill the full max 18 spots, presuming that is possible, which it should. Russians and Japanese occupy 29 of the 44 spots with Seasons Bests > 180, so with them getting a max of 36 spots between them, it should mean any non-Russian/Japanese with a Seasons Best > 180 will get the max spots to which they're entitled (could be 1, could be 2), and then there'll still be about 10 invites to go depending on retirements and things like that.

Hence they'll end up going down to skaters like Nicole Rajicova (SB 175), and if that's the case it'll take quite an effort to bypass all the Russians and Japanese and end up giving them 16 or 17 slots - unless there's some sort of 'unofficial directive' from the ISU about Russians and Japanese not 'swamping' the GPs.