2018 Worlds Ladies FS | Page 136 | Golden Skate

2018 Worlds Ladies FS

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
I'm surprised that Alina's body changed so much in a month causing her not to land her jumps.

I think it was more nerves than growth spurt. She was landing multiples 3Loops in combination during practice. And they're all tired after the Olympics.

jfdw

Rinkside
I think it was more nerves than growth spurt. She was landing multiples 3Loops in combination during practice. And they're all tired after the Olympics.

Well regardless of the reason she faltered, growth spurt. exhaustion , nerves it was a devastating four minutes for her. She went to World's hoping to repeat her performance from the Olympics at World's and give her country a gold medal. You could tell she was absolutely devastated. She is very young to shoulder all that pressure. I just hope she gets the support of her coach, her Federation to let her rest put this behind her and come back next year renewed and ready to compete. I know she will get the support of her family and fans. I do not like to see any skater have a meltdown the way she did and you could tell she could not understand what was happening but she continued and finished the program and that is the behavior of a true champion.

millie

Medalist
Well regardless of the reason she faltered, growth spurt. exhaustion , nerves it was a devastating four minutes for her. She went to World's hoping to repeat her performance from the Olympics at World's and give her country a gold medal. You could tell she was absolutely devastated. She is very young to shoulder all that pressure. I just hope she gets the support of her coach, her Federation to let her rest put this behind her and come back next year renewed and ready to compete. I know she will get the support of her family and fans. I do not like to see any skater have a meltdown the way she did and you could tell she could not understand what was happening but she continued and finished the program and that is the behavior of a true champion.

Yes it is devastating when a skater has so many falls. I remember Kaetly Osmond at Skate Canada 2015. She just got back after breaking her leg, fell in practice and sprained her leg. Continued on through the Short and Long program falling falling on almost every jump but continued to finish her programs. But she ended it all of with a smile. Just go back and watch and tell me that is not the behaviour of a true champion. I felt for Alina at Worlds and could see how devastated she was and didn’t know how to handle her failure. That is why we should not make fun and ridicule skaters when they fall. It can and did happen to the best. Kaetlyn was the brunt of many of Alina’s fans not Alina.

Casual

On the Ice
I'm surprised that Alina's body changed so much in a month causing her not to land her jumps.

According to Tarasova, Alina grew up 3 cm (1.2") since the Olympics. As the body changes, the muscle memory becomes unreliable.

If she continues to grow as fast she'll have to relearn all her jumps. That might not be so easy.

I noticed that Eteri's girls do not jump too high and do not travel too far across the ice. Eteri jumps look more like "up and straight down" in place while rotating super fast, when compared to someone like Kaetlyn Osmond or Miraj Nagasu, who jump higher and much further out.

I wonder if the difference in technique means that in order to do a perfect "Eteri jump" a skater needs a certain type of body (small-framed, svelte and short)?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I noticed that Eteri's girls do not jump too high and do not travel too far across the ice. Eteri jumps look more like "up and straight down" in place while rotating super fast, when compared to someone like Kaetlyn Osmond or Miraj Nagasu, who jump higher and much further out.

What about Dasha or Polina? They have big jumps. Even Anastasia Tarakanova has a big Lutz on a very good outside edge.

https://youtu.be/F8yMfx6yEAo?t=3m53s

Casual

On the Ice
What about Dasha or Polina? They have big jumps. Even Anastasia Tarakanova has a big Lutz on a very good outside edge.

I meant Medvedeva and Zagitova. (I don't know who trains Sotskova but her jumps are not high either.) I've only watched European, Olympics, and World, so I don't know about those others.

It's much easier to type "Eteri girls" than spell their surnames or "current Russian girls in Olympics/Worlds". They don't jump high and they don't travel far, but they rotate awfully fast.

Would they need to change the technique if they grow?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I never speculate on that stuff so I can’t help you there. Sotskova does not have small jumps either IMO.

https://youtu.be/Q_Lx8QSfD44?t=5m37s

**Please pardon the Eurosport dude spreading misinformation that doing a tano automatically gets you GOE. It is not required if the judge doesn’t like it. They tend to get confused and he easily is more annoying than her tano :laugh:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Yes it is devastating when a skater has so many falls. I remember Kaetly Osmond at Skate Canada 2015. She just got back after breaking her leg, fell in practice and sprained her leg. Continued on through the Short and Long program falling falling on almost every jump but continued to finish her programs. But she ended it all of with a smile. Just go back and watch and tell me that is not the behaviour of a true champion. I felt for Alina at Worlds and could see how devastated she was and didn’t know how to handle her failure. That is why we should not make fun and ridicule skaters when they fall. It can and did happen to the best. Kaetlyn was the brunt of many of Alina’s fans not Alina.

Thank you for this reminder Millie, of KO's first GP comp., at Skate Canada 2015, 13 months after her terrible accident. With 5 falls in this FS, one would think she might never recover from both her injury and this performance. While tough to watch, skip if you must and listen to what she says to Ravi with a smile of her face at the 6 min mark, ''oh, well, things can only get better.''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4FZQRvorFU

And better they did as per this performance a week ago, now on YouTube from B. Eurosport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU5WTkLi3ms

A true comeback kid, if there ever was one in this sport, and the stuff that legends are made of!

Sportfan

Match Penalty

I meant Medvedeva and Zagitova. (I don't know who trains Sotskova but her jumps are not high either.) I've only watched European, Olympics, and World, so I don't know about those others.

It's much easier to type "Eteri girls" than spell their surnames or "current Russian girls in Olympics/Worlds". They don't jump high and they don't travel far, but they rotate awfully fast.

Polina didn't learn her technique from Eteri but from her previous coach, as far as i know

bewitched

On the Ice
I also think it must have been pretty hard to perform such a difficult program at 10:30 pm local time (in comparison to the Olympics when the final group skated at ca. 2 p.m. local time). Even I felt exhausted just sitting and watching the competition in the late evening, can you imagine what it is like to wait the whole day at the stadium trying not to be super stressed... I think it's admirable that she managed to pull it together and to land the rest of the jumps.

millie

Medalist
I also think it must have been pretty hard to perform such a difficult program at 10:30 pm local time (in comparison to the Olympics when the final group skated at ca. 2 p.m. local time). Even I felt exhausted just sitting and watching the competition in the late evening, can you imagine what it is like to wait the whole day at the stadium trying not to be super stressed... I think it's admirable that she managed to pull it together and to land the rest of the jumps.

That’s where good training, good diet and sympathetic coaches comes into play..This shows that Kaetlyn Osmond must be in really good shape and nerves of steel. It must have been so hard skating so late.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wow...
does EVERY post have to involve Kaetlyn? Can't you just have sympathy for others and talk about others without dragging your favorite into everything when it's not applicable??

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow...
does EVERY post have to involve Kaetlyn? Can't you just have sympathy for others and talk about others without dragging your favorite into everything when it's not applicable??

Not applicable? So Kaetlyn skated at 2pm but the other skaters had to wait until much later? I think the poster was just pointing out that everyone was tired and eveyone had the same time disadvantage/advantage.

I think it's rather odd that during the Olympics everyone was moaning about how early the skaters had to skate, now they're moaning about how late.

Last time I looked, this was the ladies FS thread, so it's appropriate to discuss ALL the ladies. It's not a fanfest for your favorite.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was rewatching the last few flights. While I think that Satoko’s overall bronze medal was likely the correct result, based on short program scores (indeed, I think she was a bit underscored there), for the free skate I think Loena or Bradie should have received the small bronze. Of the two, Bradie had the better technical, while I found Loena’s program more stylistically interesting.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Sure everyone had the same times, but...

if someone says something about Alina being kicked out of Eteri's group and then coming back or Alina being inured and recovering, it's always "well Kaetlyn was injured too!" wElL KaEtlYn wAS inJurEd toO
guess what, we aren't always talking about Kaetlyn...

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Sure everyone had the same times, but...

if someone says something about Alina being kicked out of Eteri's group and then coming back or Alina being inured and recovering, it's always "well Kaetlyn was injured too!" wElL KaEtlYn wAS inJurEd toO
guess what, we aren't always talking about Kaetlyn...

Well, she was, and very seriously. Is this the Alina fanfest? If not, don't complain when people talk about other skaters. Alina is not the only skater in the world, and you can't expect everyone on Golden Skate to agree to never discuss any other skater.

Edited to add: If they do it in Alina's fanfest, report it. That's what fanfests are for.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
There's a difference between talking about a skater and dragging them into literally everything...