2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
If anyone is planning to go to either CoR or Helsinki, book now.
Moscow hotels are sold out already if close to the arena and prices have doubled. It's best not to risk it.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I’m super excited for Piper and Paul. This looks like a good GP field for them— they’ll probably only be second at both events (behind Hubbel/Donohue and Papadakis/Cizeron), but that should be enough for them to make the final.

Based on this list and last year's performances, I don't see any U.S. ladies medaling on the grand prix circuit, let alone making the final. But a lot can change in a season, so we'll see.

I can see Bradie medalling at Skate America. She lost to Satoko and Kaori last season— both will be there again. She defeated Polina, who’s a little bit of a wildcard considering the coaching change and lack of news, and her [edit: Polina’s] SB score was higher than Radio’s. (Bradie also gets higher jump GOE than Radio, which should boost her under the new system.) I think she can beat Marin if she skates well, and surely Samodurova.

And who knows— maybe Gracie will surge back to her 2016 Nationals FS form and take silver at Rostelecom. :pray:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Does anyone know when the JGP assignments are supposed to come out?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Some thoughts:

- Fantastic for the premiere Finland event to have Hanyu, Kolyada, Zagitova, Kostner, and Sui/Han!
- Surprise return of Kevin Reynolds at NHK! Let's see if he'll also appear at Skate Canada.
- Silver and bronze medals are up for grabs at every pairs event, good chance for James/Cipres to grab gold at both of their assignments
- Canada has an uphill battle with all their top talent from every discipline either retiring or not participating in the Grand Prix, good chance for Gilles/Poirier to cement themselves as top Canada ice dance team
- Wonderful to see Gracie Gold on the comeback trail. I hope she will get that last US spot at Skate America because Rostelecom Cup is loaded with top skaters.
- Chock/Bates have very good draws and might win gold at both of their events

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Apologies if the information was already posted, but will Hartwall Arena host GP in Helsinki similarly to WC in 2017? Is the arena/place already confirmed for the GP?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Apologies if the information was already posted, but will Hartwall Arena host GP in Helsinki similarly to WC in 2017? Is the arena/place already confirmed for the GP?

Nope.
Helsinki Ice Hall this time around, tickets start in August.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Nope.
Helsinki Ice Hall this time around, tickets start in August.

Thanks a lot for the info. I have to really think it out during the weekend and decide, then I am a bit afraid for tickets (if I can get a hold of them)...

skatenewbie

Medalist
Does anyone know when the JGP assignments are supposed to come out?
jgp skater is chosen by fed of each country and are usually out a month before the competition starts, 1st JGP is scheduled on 22 August so we can expect it to be out on late July

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So are you really saying the entire world revolves around Evgenia?
If Eteri doesn't travel to SC ... it's just because of Evgenia? really?
How about the time she didn't travel to CoC17 with Alina? :sarcasm:

I was reacting to the implication from the OP (and if that implication was wrong, then I apologize) that Zhenya would spend *her* time avoiding Eteri or running around like a scared mouse. Uh, no, Zhenya is a mature professional and she will not. She is focused on the “long game” which is why she went to Brian in the first place.

And I expect them both to act like professionals. :)

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
Boy, if this is to be believe Chinese fans would have had Yuzuru and Boyang, this would have been Yuzuru’s first time in China since 2014? https://twitter.com/echotpe/status/1012564563122839553?s=21
2015 Worlds?

Also, Li/Xie = Li Xiangning and Xie Zhong? If so, she's in two disciplines- one spot in each. :unsure: Has this ever happened before, or is it even allowed? That's 4 programs per season... IMO, she's probably going to WD from the Ladies event later on.

century2009

On the Ice
I like the mix of upcoming skaters for this GP. It really is a signalling of change, especially for the men.

-Surprised to see Gracie and look forward to seeing her come back. Good for her! I hope she can get a medal because she definitely can.

-Shoma and Nathan have good draw. I am surprised that Hanyu is not in any of their GPs and more surprised he is facing Mikhail on both. It feels like they want to separate Shoma, Nathan, and Hanyu and good publicity as they might make it to the GPF to face off. I am also surprised Hanyu did not get NHK.

-Interested to see how Alexei aand Johnson do in their first GP.

-like the mix of Japanese and Russian women. And also surprised they separated Alina and Zenya, and waitingbto maybe have them faceoff at the GPF, which is also good publicity.

-Nice to see. Julian get a GP and hope he does well.

lichi

sui holding a deep edge
On the Ice
In the second event, no doubt. In the first, TBD.

Rostelecom is iffy for Yuzu too. If Kolyada skates cleanly, and Yuzu has a meh day, Kolyada could very well take home gold. Especially since I think the new system will work well for Kolyada.

And I guess Rostelecom is home soil for Kolyada, but IDEK anymore with the Russian Fed, considering the GP Assignments.