GS attendees thread | Page 4 | Golden Skate

GS attendees thread

AidenAiena

Rinkside
OK, Janet! Will add your info to the list. Over the years, I gave up trying to get people to wear Yellow Hoodies with GS written on them, Orange, etc. I even offered to make badges/GS credentials. PaulE will have his signature Yellow hat and I will be wearing a Hi-viz yellow coat, Yellow fleece vest too. I now think it is fine if people dont want to pin on a piece of yellow Ribbon or something to keep their anonymity.

I just packed last night and didn't pack anything yellow. Maybe I will walk around on my lunch and see if I can find something that will identify me better. I am a male in my 30s, short brown hair.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I’m sorry for asking too much questions but here I go. So, I’m a minor (under 18) and I was wondering if I could go in without an adult supervision. Also, what exactly are the media guides and the Nationals programs that CoyoteChris is handing out?

No problem about questions. We are here to help! In over 20 comps, I have never seen anyone stopped or carded for age. I would call the arena just because I am retired law enforcement and I have learned to "never say never" about city ordinances, but I think you are fine. Very little R rated stuff going on in the arena. A media guide is a 250 page spiral bound book meant for media folk covering the event. There will be 60 pages of figure skating medalists records (in 1988, In Calgary Olys, Watson and Oppegard took bronze) Many pages of bios of US skaters, descriptions of the ISU scoring system, and a whole bunch else. The problem is that we USFS members can get a copy bound for $50 but not spiral bound. We get a PDF copy for free but this years is not out there yet. I MAY have an unspoken for copy for you but I will have to look. No promises. Check PM for private message from me. A Nats program is a similar document fans buy at events. It is sprial bound or at least bound in some way and is 134 pages. Much advertising buy many pics of skaters and facts. Some times color and some times not.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I just packed last night and didn't pack anything yellow. Maybe I will walk around on my lunch and see if I can find something that will identify me better. I am a male in my 30s, short brown hair.

Thank you sir! Now, with that info, the list, at least for my part, is closed. 2 days to finish up paperwork and go on Wednesday. I suggest if you want to come forward now or add info about yourself, you copy the list and add your info.
I have to finish my program and lable who gets what. (BTW, if you have never been to a SA, the program quality THERE may leave lots to be desired...they are highly variable)

Attendees list. Version 10-15-18 Closed on my part.
Ye Olde Coyote 101 row one. Old Man
PaulE. wants media guide 1 with Mirai on cover and Skating Magazine with Mirai on cover. a gold colored ball cap, and possibly a yellow plush jacket in Section 104, Row 2. Grey Beard
solar and Mom. Nice young Lady who makes valiant effort to try and get me to pronounce “Kaori” correctly. Wants Media guide 2 and Nationals program . Short Ladies program
figurefan0726 Section 119 rows 13 (for mens) and row 14 (ladies). Young person. Try to find spare Media guide.
CherylDee section 120 row 15 May stop by for Media guide 3 and Nats program. Cheryl
nguyhm section 118
temadd Section 106 row 6. Janet, lady. Redish brown hair.
(Anonymous 2 gets media guide 4)

AidenAiena Section 107, Row 1, first seat on left when facing ice . Male, 30s , short brown hair
Seren Section 120 . I am going to guess this person is a lady and she has actually skated!
vitamintea Sec 105 Sex unknown
SkateSand Sec 109 row 1 Sex Unknown

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good news, FF26, I have found a media guide and program for you!
(It has been brought to my attention that these media guides are collectors items and are worth some monies. I dont want anything for them from GSers but we do want to keep interlopers and fifth columests from "that other forum" from stepping up and claiming to be , say figurefan0726 or CherylDee, do we? I would request you two please PM me with some sort of inocuous fact about yourself I can quiz you on. Say, you favorite cereal or whatever you want so I can "Challange" you when you come up to me. Sad to have to do that but I know several people on "the other forum"before I left it that would be devious enough to try and cheat you out of your media guides)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
2018 Skate America Pre-Event Email
Got a PDF from USFS.....a little more info...

Skating Fans –

U.S. Figure Skating would like to welcome you to 2018 Skate America! As you prepare for this competition, we wanted to make you aware of a few details, advisories, and special events to make this week incredible!

Competition Schedule & Information
All competition details can be found on 2018SkateAmerica.com including but not limited to, participating athletes, schedule, start orders, arena policies and more! For information at the event, please visit the U.S. Figure Skating Information Booth at the NW main entrance on the concourse outside of section 101.

Competition for Skate America begins this Friday, October 19 at 7:30 p.m. and will continue through Sunday, Oct. 21. Entrance for each event begins one hour prior to the listed event time. For the most up to date event schedule, please click here. Practice is open to All-Session ticket holders only. Doors open 30 minutes prior to the start of practice. For the ISU practice schedule, please click here.

Angel Of The Winds Arena
Angel Of The Winds Arena is located at 2000 Hewitt Ave. in Everett. All competition and official practice will take place on the main rink.
For directions and parking, please click here.
For accessibility information, please click here.
For arena policies and regulations, please click here.

Stay social & share your Skate America story!
U.S. Figure Skating will be broadcasting the best moments of Skate America on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using #SkateAmerica. Share your moments with us by tagging @USFIGURESKATING and also using #SkateAmerica for the chance to be featured on the in-arena videoboard and on 2018SkateAmerica.com! Keep up with the latest news by following us and checking the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone.

Get the inside scoop with the icenetwork app!
Don’t forget to download the icenetwork app! Get reminders for special events and keep up with news, social media and skating scores by downloading the FREE icenetwork app on compatible iOS devices. Download it here. You can also tune in LIVE and listen to Skate Radio from the event or at home. Don’t forget to bring headphones!

Special Events
Team USA Autographs
Get an autograph with Team USA! Autograph sessions will take place on Friday, Oct. 19 and Saturday, Oct. 20 on the concourse outside of section 111. For 30 minutes only on a first-come-first served basis. Queues may begin once doors for the session open. Only one item per person may be signed.

Friday, Oct. 19 | 6:30-7 p.m. | Ladies & Ice Dance
Saturday, Oct. 20 |6:20 – 7 p.m. | Men & Pairs

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
No worries as I don't expect anyone to know me. My name is Cheryl and trust me when I say when you meet me you will have not problem remembering me. The guide and Nat prorgam is awesome. :thank:

I am so sorry but I dont remember you from some other event! No short term memory left. I will bring your guide and ask for ID since you havent sent me a challange via PM.

nguyhm

On the Ice
It looks like there will be quite a group of GSers (surrounding Chris @CoyoteChris). Would you like to have a get together somewhere? Is anyone interested in getting autographs? We can meet at the line for autographs...., which I'm sure can be quite long. Or dinner across the street?

LoopCombo

Rinkside
Attendees list.
Ye Olde Coyote 101 row one. Old Man
PaulE. wants media guide 1 with Mirai on cover and Skating Magazine with Mirai on cover. a gold colored ball cap, and possibly a yellow plush jacket in Section 104, Row 2. Grey Beard
Anonymous. Female. Wants Media guide 2 and Nationals program
figurefan0726 Section 119 rows 13 (for mens) and row 14 (ladies). Sex Unknown
CherylDee section 120 row 15 May stop by for Media guide 3 and Nats program. Cheryl
nguyhm section 118
temadd Section 106 row 6. Sex Unknown
(Anonymous 2 gets media guide 4)

AidenAiena Section 107, Row 1, first seat on left when facing ice Sex Unknown
Seren Section 120 . I am going to guess this person is a lady and she has actually skated!
vitamintea Sec 105 Sex unknown
SkateSand Sec 109 row 1 Sex Unknown

Hello everyone!
I’m Ruby999, I’m relatively new on Golden Skate, rarely post but read often. My husband and I will be attending Skate America this week, so I wanted to add us to the list. We’re in section 119, row 10. I will probably be wearing a neon pink fleece or grey jacket. My husband will be in a blue or black jacket.

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'll be in Sec 107! I'll be wearing a big black Highland SC jacket, but probably a lot of us in that section will... :eek::

I'm excited. I scoped out the rink last week (I live down in Seattle) and found, much to my surprise, that it's smack-dab in the middle of a historic part of downtown Everett. Lots of stuff to eat and do in between sessions.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
It looks like there will be quite a group of GSers (surrounding Chris @CoyoteChris). Would you like to have a get together somewhere? Is anyone interested in getting autographs? We can meet at the line for autographs...., which I'm sure can be quite long. Or dinner across the street?

I am all for getting together. PaulE likes to eat out also. I wanna try the Italian place one block to the west, but am open to suggestions. I see holes for dinner all four days. I am leaving tomarrow AM for the left coast. If we go to the Japanese restaurant and see Kaori, I will absolutely MURDER her name and make even a bigger fool of myself. (Autograph sessions are VERY popular. Long lines. I will pass. It is unfortunate that the Friends of Figure Skating Breakfast will interfer with the Dance and ladies but the men and the pairs should show up. Hopefully. I am hoping our fearless leader Brent will coral or lasso some figure skating greats to show up and talk, though. (He will only get Tanith if he drags her kicking and screaming into the room...She is not that happy about adlibing public speaking. But she is a trooper and has come before and talked) Uh oh. I just spotted the IRISHMAN brewpub! I am hooked!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'll be in Sec 107! I'll be wearing a big black Highland SC jacket, but probably a lot of us in that section will... :eek::

I'm excited. I scoped out the rink last week (I live down in Seattle) and found, much to my surprise, that it's smack-dab in the middle of a historic part of downtown Everett. Lots of stuff to eat and do in between sessions.

Lets see....section 107...probably a lady...wearing black....well, THAT NARROWS IT DOWN! YOU SHOULD BE EASY TO SPOT! :laugh2: Sorry...I lost control...the devil made me do it! :devil:
Welcome aboard! Yes, lots of food to try!
Tall thin old man with mustache and ball cap in yellow hi-viz motorcycle jacket in first row of 101

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hello everyone!
I’m Ruby999, I’m relatively new on Golden Skate, rarely post but read often. My husband and I will be attending Skate America this week, so I wanted to add us to the list. We’re in section 119, row 10. I will probably be wearing a neon pink fleece or grey jacket. My husband will be in a blue or black jacket.

Welcome aboard! Glad you liked my "Birding Guide" to SA!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Chianti Italian, Irishman brewpub, Vintage cafe, Lucas Multi-cultural rest., Abbotts (upscale) The New Mexican, Tokyo Teriyaki.
Who is hungary?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It certainly looks that way from this thread. I am hoping that Mrs. P might be able to show up to explain the Ice Dance to me.

Hi Paul. I've been doing -- along with Mrs P and Doris -- the PBPs for Ice Dance this season. I've been including a basic introduction to how each segment of how ice dance is scored. Once you get a basic feel for the elements, you'll really start to see why couple x is scored higher than couple y. I honestly think people tend to dismiss ID because the scoring looks so complicated. There aren't any "obvious" scoring elements besides twizzles, so people tend to be "what the $^#@ am I supposed to be looking at?"

Rhythm Dance:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?76208-2018-JGP-Yerevan-Rhythm-Dance

Free Dance:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?76315-2018-JGP-Yerevan-Free-Dance

One of the best ways to learn is to participate on one of the competition threads. People are very helpful and knowledgeable. Trust me, I've asked about every single "stupid" question about ID that you can imagine, and people very generously made me feel much smarter for having asked!

Enjoy the competition. Ice Dance at SA really has a great four team race for the podium, with some additional teams in the second tier who are very entertaining.

SkateSand

Rinkside
I'll be easy to spot - I'm bringing nothing but plaid shirts so I'll be wearing plaid every day, lol, and I'll also be wearing a burgundy/black/tan Native American design fleece jacket that I bought in Lake Placid many years ago when I was there for a Stars on Ice show.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'll be easy to spot - I'm bringing nothing but plaid shirts so I'll be wearing plaid every day, lol, and I'll also be wearing a burgundy/black/tan Native American design fleece jacket that I bought in Lake Placid many years ago when I was there for a Stars on Ice show.

I was married in plaid pants!

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hi Paul. I've been doing -- along with Mrs P and Doris -- the PBPs for Ice Dance this season. I've been including a basic introduction to how each segment of how ice dance is scored. Once you get a basic feel for the elements, you'll really start to see why couple x is scored higher than couple y. I honestly think people tend to dismiss ID because the scoring looks so complicated. There aren't any "obvious" scoring elements besides twizzles, so people tend to be "what the $^#@ am I supposed to be looking at?"

Rhythm Dance:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?76208-2018-JGP-Yerevan-Rhythm-Dance

Free Dance:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?76315-2018-JGP-Yerevan-Free-Dance

One of the best ways to learn is to participate on one of the competition threads. People are very helpful and knowledgeable. Trust me, I've asked about every single "stupid" question about ID that you can imagine, and people very generously made me feel much smarter for having asked!

Enjoy the competition. Ice Dance at SA really has a great four team race for the podium, with some additional teams in the second tier who are very entertaining.

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I am there for the performances, not the sport...the performance art, so to speak. For what ever reason, when I started going to live comps, I just couldnt pick out the nuances of each jump in the other disciplines, so I dont know them. Axel? Sure. Lutz? probably. Flutz? Forgetaboutit. My eyes and brain can not pick up the fast acting movement. I really tried. I gave up. And am happier for doing so.
Fast forward to when US Ice Dance Comps had big guns on the mic talking to us on the ear bug in real time and in off time about scoring ice dance. The tech team finds it so complex that they assign various things to watch for amoug themselves. In essense, they dibby up the work load. Now if the experts who wrote the rule book, literally, can not call the tech part by themselves alone, what can a guy like me with my eyes and brain do? APPRECIATE THE ART!. If the Shibs hold a lift .275 seconds too long....too bad. I still like them. Well, the ear bug went away but I had taken it out of my ear anyway by then. I think this comp will be fun for the sportsperson and the art appreciation person alike! :popcorn:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I am there for the performances, not the sport...the performance art, so to speak. For what ever reason, when I started going to live comps, I just couldnt pick out the nuances of each jump in the other disciplines, so I dont know them. Axel? Sure. Lutz? probably. Flutz? Forgetaboutit. My eyes and brain can not pick up the fast acting movement. I really tried. I gave up. And am happier for doing so.
Fast forward to when US Ice Dance Comps had big guns on the mic talking to us on the ear bug in real time and in off time about scoring ice dance. The tech team finds it so complex that they assign various things to watch for amoug themselves. In essense, they dibby up the work load. Now if the experts who wrote the rule book, literally, can not call the tech part by themselves alone, what can a guy like me with my eyes and brain do? APPRECIATE THE ART!. If the Shibs hold a lift .275 seconds too long....too bad. I still like them. Well, the ear bug went away but I had taken it out of my ear anyway by then. I think this comp will be fun for the sportsperson and the art appreciation person alike! :popcorn:

De gustibus non est disputandum.

:)

likevelvet

#Bless this mess
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Lets see....section 107...probably a lady...wearing black....well, THAT NARROWS IT DOWN! YOU SHOULD BE EASY TO SPOT! :laugh2: Sorry...I lost control...the devil made me do it! :devil:
Welcome aboard! Yes, lots of food to try!
Tall thin old man with mustache and ball cap in yellow hi-viz motorcycle jacket in first row of 101

Extremely fair, lol. Maybe I'll scour my closet and find something more bold... among my sea of black clothing.... great plan

Edit: I figured out what I need! An air horn! They'll let that in, right? :devil: