2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 131 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Really well done for Mariah Bell. She was fifth but again, a hugely deep field. At the end of the day she got a 136 score and skated REALLY well. Getting in the top 5 in such a deep field is quite the accomplishment. Now, if she puts that freeskate together with her Nebelhorn short... well watch out world! I think she really could make a run for national Champion and top 6 or 8 (depending on how good the competition is that day) finish at worlds.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Also she was criticized for not having a 3-3 in this long, I even agreed, but she got a 71+ TES score. (Even room for higher, missed a level on her steps here.) Quality>quantity clearly.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Also she was criticized for not having a 3-3 in this long, I even agreed, but she got a 71+ TES score. (Even room for higher, missed a level on her steps here.) Quality>quantity clearly.
she did have 2A-3T which is equivalent with 3-3 score wise. She could do 2 2A-3T if she can't do -1Eu-3S cleanly (her usual layout). i also notice her 3F improved in consistency and height. Her spins too, layback fast and nicely centered, steps also good, overall im happy with her improvement in many areas, i really like her SP, i hope judges give her higher PCS

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Mariah did very well today... not to mention both her dresses are ridiculously gorgeous and I want them for myself ehehe... not sure what to expect from Karen next week, but I hope she puts out a good show and enjoys herself :hap10:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Wow~~ waking up at 4:00 am and start training at 6:00 am. She must go to bed at 8 or 9 to get enough sleep. Just wish US ladies get more funding, perhaps an apartment near the rink would tremendously help. I also remember Mirai mentioned on ice training in the middle of night or something...

Compared with Evgenia, who mentioned she can walk to her rink from the house she rented with her Mom in Toronto...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Wow~~ waking up at 4:00 am and start training at 6:00 am. She must go to bed at 8 or 9 to get enough sleep. Just wish US ladies get more funding, perhaps an apartment near the rink would tremendously help. I also remember Mirai mentioned on ice training in the middle of night or something...

Compared with Evgenia, who mentioned she can walk to her rink from the house she rented with her Mom in Toronto...

She's mentioned before that she is a morning person and likes to wake up early, so I think it's a choice she starts early.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Per Karen’s IG post, is she withdrawing from Rostelecom?

Guess soo... At this point im concerned for her future. Not even doing one GP will really hurt her all around. Hope she can make it to Tallinn.....

In other news, now Gracie is the only U.S. lady at Rostelecom.....

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I have a feeling she won’t be at Tallinn either.

Considering she previously said it would be financially difficult to continue towards Beijing, she wants to attend a good college, and this season being a no go so far - I’m not so sure about her future.

andromache

Record Breaker
Getting around to actually watching NHK LPs....holy cap Mariah Bell. That choreo sequence had me in tears.

I think it'll be Mariah versus Bradie for Nationals. Bradie has the edge on tech since I don't think her URs will be under scrutiny. But Mariah's programs are so beautiful.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Considering she previously said it would be financially difficult to continue towards Beijing, she wants to attend a good college, and this season being a no go so far - I’m not so sure about her future.

I think Karen is the one who would really do well to parlay her on ice success into an Ivy League education.

loopy1217

Rinkside
What post? I'm not seeing anything
There was a post and apparently she had just removed it. IIRC, the post said that road to recovery is long and that she doesn’t think going to Russia is doable. But I would have thought you would post something like this after USFS announce it (this could be the reason why she remove it, don’t know)

On the other note, the Mariah FS is indeed beautiful. If she has this performance in national, she would already won the audience over like she did in NHK regardless how she place. And if she deliver both clean, then I wonder if USFS put her above Bradie.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Getting around to actually watching NHK LPs....holy cap Mariah Bell. That choreo sequence had me in tears.

I think it'll be Mariah versus Bradie for Nationals. Bradie has the edge on tech since I don't think her URs will be under scrutiny. But Mariah's programs are so beautiful.

Yep. She has even done the impossible....got me to like Celine Dion.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I have long loved Mariah because she always looks like she's enjoying skating, even if a particular performance is not going well technically. I like that she seems to want to go out and skate, rather than being intimidated by the whole thing. I'm delighted she's having a strong season so far.

I hope Bradie gets solid with her program tweaks, and that Gracie has a satisfying comeback. I'm enjoying all the senior ladies this year much more than in recent years. So many enjoyable skaters from so many skating powerhouse countries.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm enjoying all the senior ladies this year much more than in recent years. So many enjoyable skaters from so many skating powerhouse countries.

I am too, and I'm very impressed with how the Japanese women have stepped up especially. In the US, it's kind of exciting that a worlds spot is more open than it has been in recent years; two great skates at Nationals would allow them to get it, because I don't think there's even a short list of contenders after Bradie. It's that wide open.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Maybe going to college is the right choice for Karen. As an Olympian and US national champion, I don't think there is any problem for her to get into an Ivy League. Isn't she also a talented painter? I remember seeing paintings from her personal website.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I hope Karen is healthy soon ir whatever is holding her back is resolved. I just wish if she were planning to withdraw she would do it sooner so someone else could have the chance to prepare and compete.