2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 133 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

aml78

Rinkside
I think with Gracie we can expect to see low difficulty as she gets her feet wet competing again. I think she’s playing a long game. Going to this GP is necessary so she didn’t have to go the qualifying route which would require her to be ready much sooner and was much riskier. I doubt she has any dreams of a medal here. I will just be happy to see her and these programs!

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
I think with Gracie we can expect to see low difficulty as she gets her feet wet competing again. I think she’s playing a long game. Going to this GP is necessary so she didn’t have to go the qualifying route which would require her to be ready much sooner and was much riskier. I doubt she has any dreams of a medal here. I will just be happy to see her and these programs!

This is exactly what I’m hoping for! It’s a marathon not a race and Gracie just needs to take her time and not try and start exactly where she left off!

macy

Record Breaker
Karen W/D from Rostelecom tonight and even confirmed it in a post on her Instagram account.

That post has now been deleted, so who knows? :scratch2:

ETA: IFS is now also reporting this on twitter.

What is the replacement/alternate procedure like for this? Does RusFed invite another US skater? Also, Karen's name has not been removed from the roster yet.

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
What is the replacement/alternate procedure like for this? Does RusFed invite another US skater? Also, Karen's name has not been removed from the roster yet.

Usually rostelecom would be able to invite another skater on SB list from last year, however I believe it is too close to the event and a replacement cannot be invited. I'm pretty sure there needs to be 1 week notice? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Usually rostelecom would be able to invite another skater on SB list from last year, however I believe it is too close to the event and a replacement cannot be invited. I'm pretty sure there needs to be 1 week notice? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Not correct. They have no obligation to fill the place at this point (less than 14 days before event) but may still do so if they wish and it’s practical for a skater to accept (see p 10, para 7.6):

https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...98-gp-general-announcement-2018-19-final/file

concorde

Medalist
I've been out of the loop -- wait, what? We want less skaters at Nationals?

This came out when the revised pipe line was discussed.

From what USFS said, the number of Senior level skater making it to Nationals in making the event too long. Added to that, the concern was that with so many byes, the skaters qualifying through the tradition process were not at a high level calibre. Therefore, they proposed establishing certain minimum that skaters would have to obtain even if they were in the top 4 of their respective Sectionals.

I looked at old Nationals numbers what there were talking about.
In 2018, there were 22 skaters (so 10 byes) that skated in the short. 2 withdrew before the long. Of the 20 that skated in both programs, 1 had a combined score under 110 total. The next lowest combined score was in the 120s.
In 2017, there were 19 skaters (7 byes). The lowest combined score was 127.
In 2016, there were 22 skater (10 byes). 4 had a combined score under 110.

Weathergal

Medalist
Ooooh, that's exciting. Do you think Jeremy will come with Gracie and sit in kiss&cry? OK, maybe that's too much to wish for.... but if :yahoo: Suppose her coach (who is?) will accompany her.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK Gracie!

Her coach is Vincent Restencourt. And I agree - it would be great to see Jeremy in the kiss and cry with her. Jeremy's done so well at Nationals over the years. Maybe he could be a good luck charm! :biggrin:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not correct. They have no obligation to fill the place at this point (less than 14 days before event) but may still do so if they wish and it’s practical for a skater to accept (see p 10, para 7.6):

https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...98-gp-general-announcement-2018-19-final/file

At this point, it is less than three days before the Team Leaders Meeting (Thursday at 10:30 am Moscow time). A substitute would have to have been named, have accepted, and be in place ready to go by that time.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
At this point, it is less than three days before the Team Leaders Meeting (Thursday at 10:30 am Moscow time). A substitute would have to have been named, have accepted, and be in place ready to go by that time.

True, but the poster I was responding to was under the impression that there was a rule preventing replacements within one week.

Anyway, I don’t think it was wrong for Karen to wait as long as she did before withdrawing. The situation was likely not as black and white as people are assuming.

In other news, Mariah, Bradie, and Megan W are all scheduled to compete at Golden Spin. I find it interesting that Gracie isn’t listed as a sub, but perhaps she doesn’t want to push things too fast.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
It seems it might have been more considerate if Karen has withdrawn earlier - it’s not like she just got injured.

Some posters have mentioned the ‘coddling’ of Gracie - but this seems to be happening with Karen. She has withdrawn from her last five competitions, if I’m counting correctly. I would be very surprised to see her at Tallinn at this point, so that is likely to make it six competitions in a row.

Supposedly Karen has the ‘potential’ to being the best in the world if she could get it together, she is capable of 4Lz, etc ... but at some point seems that she will have to show up.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s not like Karen just got injured, but it’s also not like pooof, wave a magic wand and you’re healed and you never regress.

I would rather Karen fully recover and skate her best, the show up, skate injured, and not do her best (didn’t Vincent say that is what happened to him?)

Anyway, fingers crossed for Gracie:clap:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
If she’s not healed, and she’s been injured for months - perhaps it would have been possible to withdraw a week plus earlier. Someone else could have the opportunity to compete.

Obviously there are no magic wands. But Karen has a reputation for making excuses, something that Vincent has received criticism for.

princessalica

Final Flight
It seems it might have been more considerate if Karen has withdrawn earlier - it’s not like she just got injured.

Some posters have mentioned the ‘coddling’ of Gracie - but this seems to be happening with Karen. She has withdrawn from her last five competitions, if I’m counting correctly. I would be very surprised to see her at Tallinn at this point, so that is likely to make it six competitions in a row.

Supposedly Karen has the ‘potential’ to being the best in the world if she could get it together, she is capable of 4Lz, etc ... but at some point seems that she will have to show up.

And if people are coddling Gracie, at least Gracie has more results to show for it. Yes, their best is 4th in the World. But Karen got that one time. Gracie has 2 fourths at Worlds (and a 5th and a 6th)and a 4th at the Olympics and multiple Grand Prix medals and several titles and I believe several championship level single round medals (1st in sp at 2016 Worlds, 3rd at 4 Continents LP in 2016, 2nd in FS at Worlds in 2015, 2nd in SP at 2015 Four Continents) Not to forget that she did place 2nd at Junior Worlds. She's got a lot more hardware for her efforts, even if we don't feel she has achieved near what she was capable of achieving. Gracie has shown she's got so much to offer, of course with the comeback we will see if it is going to happen. But that single 4th at Worlds in 2017 is by far Karen's best. I hope Karen will find a way to succeed, but she seems plagued by these failures.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Supposedly Karen has the ‘potential’ to being the best in the world if she could get it together, she is capable of 4Lz, etc ... but at some point seems that she will have to show up to competition.

Except that injuries don’t stay static - they heal. But they heal unpredictably and sometimes people have setbacks. I am guessing Karen’s first priority was whether she could represent the USA credibly at the competition. And maybe she really hoped and thought she would be ready in time. Maybe she was doing well and then something happened. Although it’s tempting to think of her as someone who has known for ages that she wouldn’t be competing here but just didn’t get around to withdrawing, without being in her shoes, we don’t really know that. We don’t know how much it bothered her to have to withdraw from her last few competitions or how close she was to being competion ready for this one.

frida80

Record Breaker
Karen has had this happen before. In 2013, she had a successful JGP season qualifying for the JGPF. Shortly after she got a stress fracture in her foot. She came back to training too early and re-fractured her foot. She never really managed to recover from that. If she had just sat out for the rest of the season she probably would've recovered fine.

All Karen's boot problems stem from that awful decision. Her foot didn't heal properly making her foot never really fit in boots properly and causing her lots of pain thereafter. I strongly suspect this injury had something to do with her 2013 injury. What ever the case, I'm glad she isn't doing her usual and trying to compete injured and not prepared. That head strong impulsiveness has nearly ended her career.