2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 134 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

oly2018

Final Flight
I think everyone here understands that injuries are unpredictable, but the Colorado camp has got to figure out how they announce these things. I think they knew she wasn't going to make it to Russia. She has been in Michigan visiting her family and traveling, to me that doesn't sound like someone training for a competition. I will wait to see the press release, but it is interesting that she doesn't mention when she thinks she will be back.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are a massive number of entries at Golden Spin, but if you look at the level of the skaters, the only real competition are the Russian ladies Gubanova, Guliakova and Pogorilaya. Pogo is returning after injury. Gubanova is a lovely skater, but she didn't get assigned to a JGP event this year, and this is her first senior competition. It's Guliakova's first senior event as well; she had a SB of 181.43 last season, from the JGP, and two Junior challenger scores in the low 170s. Like Gubanova, she wasn't assigned to the JGP this season.

If the US ladies skate their best, they have a decent chance of medaling.

WesleyFox

Rinkside
Really well done for Mariah Bell. She was fifth but again, a hugely deep field. At the end of the day she got a 136 score and skated REALLY well. Getting in the top 5 in such a deep field is quite the accomplishment. Now, if she puts that freeskate together with her Nebelhorn short... well watch out world! I think she really could make a run for national Champion and top 6 or 8 (depending on how good the competition is that day) finish at worlds.

I was so happy to see Miss Bell skate so well. I'd also love to see her take Nats!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think everyone here understands that injuries are unpredictable, but the Colorado camp has got to figure out how they announce these things. I think they knew she wasn't going to make it to Russia. She has been in Michigan visiting her family and traveling, to me that doesn't sound like someone training for a competition. I will wait to see the press release, but it is interesting that she doesn't mention when she thinks she will be back.

I read on another board that her original instagram message mentioned that she would return to competition when she was completely healed. But it seems to me that her foot problem is a chronic one spanning several years and it has never completely healed, so what does that say about her competitive future?

princessalica

Final Flight
I read on another board that her original instagram message mentioned that she would return to competition when she was completely healed. But it seems to me that her foot problem is a chronic one spanning several years and it has never completely healed, so what does that say about her competitive future?

I think that it might be like Polina Edmunds. And we still have yet to see if Polina can make a competitive comeback. She actually finally took the time off the ice to really heal. Her story is still being written.

macy

Record Breaker

if she doesn't compete at nationals, her season is essentially over. correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think she can even go to 4CC if she W/D.

The thing that irks me with this is that she has only been back on the ice (who knows when she actually began training programs) since the beginning of October, which was approximately 5-6 weeks ago. she was off the ice for about 3 months. after taking that much time off, it's just not realistic to think you will be back in competitive form in a month and a half. i really don't know what she and her team were thinking, but she should have withdrawn a long time ago, at least with the thought and courtesy of giving another skater her place. now it's most likely too late for that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
if she doesn't compete at nationals, her season is essentially over. correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think she can even go to 4CC if she W/D.

I don't think she'd get 4CC if she withdrew because those spots typically go to strong finishers at Nationals. That could be especially true this year since that will be the best assignment for all but two of the women.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
No way would she be assigned to 4CC if she hasn’t even competed this season, and at that point - hasn’t competed for an entire year.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I would assume that who ever is selected to go to 4CC will also be selected to go to Worlds.

Most likely, as is usual in non-Olympic years, the same teams will be named to both events, but one or more skaters assigned to both might choose to focus on Worlds and decline the 4Cs invitation.

Even if that is not strictly the case, it seems unlikely that USFS would assign any ladies to 4Cs who did not compete at Nationals.

Offhand, the only occasions I can recall in which skaters were assigned to 4Cs without having competed at Nationals that year were Scimeca-Knierem/Knierem in 2017 and Todd Eldredge in 2000.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It must be so hard on a skater to often know in advance they can't or shouldn't compete. i think the intention or dream was for Karen always to compete. She probably knew deep in her heart that it wasn't going to happen but can you imagine the pressure - money, rankings, desire to compete, chance to compete at events people would die for. I saw this figure skater give a speech about her faith and the one thing she wouldn't tackle was how she wanted to compete so badly even though she knew she was injured. She cost her nation a spot at the olympics; she knew she wasn't able to compete but it is hard to accept it. Especially when it comes to the olympics a skter is not likely to give up the spot and compete injured like Vaughn Chipeur from Canada or I believe Rachel Flatt but I can't remember now. What about Sochi and Plushenko who seemed to be on life support and gave up after the team event. Karen has a lot of potential so who knows if she ever will return and skate to her potential. I already forget about Polina. I remember in Turin and so hoping like many Kwan would skate and win but deep in my heart and mind I knew she was too injured even before Turin It is so hard to let the dream die and give up before the event. Yes, Kwan did withdraw and some may say she reinjured but those in the know knew it was over before the plane touched down. The body is so fickle. Hopefully Karen will return ready to go and this will make it easier for Gold to climb the podium at Russia.

princessalica

Final Flight
Hopefully Karen will return ready to go and this will make it easier for Gold to climb the podium at Russia.

I mean, I would LOVE to see Gracie on the podium, but I'm just trying to temper my expectations that she will have a solid skate, but not be at top form. I'd rather be happily surprised and excited at how well she did, than disappointed by expecting too much from her first competition in nearly 2 years. If she skated like Gracie can skate, then absolutely she could podium, but I'm just super excited to see her skate.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I haven't kept up with how Gracie is currently doing so I can't really judge on what to expect. Maybe my expectations are unrealistically low but all I expect to see is Gracie attempt the basic jumps (at least rotate them fully even if she splats) and solid spins. A 2A and the individual triples (minus the 3A) and spins with decent speed (I don't expect them to be that fast since her conditioning probably isn't top notch just yet)

The one thing I'm really interested in seeing is if she skates with more freedom and abandon since there are no real expectations. Being away from competitive ice for a whole season should light something in her that at least brings her basic skating to the next level outside of the jumps and spins. It could be the artistic breakthrough that people wanted to see when she was one blink away from Olympic/world podiums. Being in a better personal place will hopefully make her skating more open and genuine feeling. The rest could return later with more time and training.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ooooh, that's exciting. Do you think Jeremy will come with Gracie and sit in kiss&cry? OK, maybe that's too much to wish for.... but if :yahoo: Suppose her coach (who is?) will accompany her.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK Gracie!

Her coach is Vincent Restencourt.

No, you won't see Jeremy in Russia this weekend, but may see him with Gracie at Nationals in Detroit.:biggrin:

figurefan0726

Final Flight
I’m debating but I think her layouts would look something like this:

SP: 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A (or a 3Lo instead of 3F; I’m thinking she won’t challenge the 3F or 3Lo for the bonus)
FS: 2A, 3Lz+3T, 3F, 3Lo, 2A+3T+2T, 3Lz, 3S+2T

Weathergal

Medalist
Her coach is Vincent Restencourt.

No, you won't see Jeremy in Russia this weekend, but may see him with Gracie at Nationals in Detroit.:biggrin:

That would be really cool. Thrilled he did programs for her.

On a related note, much as I am really curious how she is skating - and more importantly how she is doing - I love that she is keeping things quiet for now. It seems like a wise strategy. It also speaks well of the others at her rink, who are respecting her privacy.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

SP: 3Lz+3T, 3F, 2A (or a 3Lo instead of 3F; I’m thinking she won’t challenge the 3F or 3Lo for the bonus)

I think the goal would be to get to this eventually, but I wouldn't expect to see all the different triples and a 3-3 just yet. She's still in the process of building back her confidence, so an easier layout might be a better idea for her first go at it.

lusterfan

Final Flight
A small part of me wishes that Gracie has been scheming the perfect comeback to surprise us all with top notch skating to clinch the Gold.

In reality, all I hope for is a mild difficulty but clean and genuinely passionate skate from Gracie.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

I doubt she will do this layout. This layout was what she did in TOP form.

I am thinking it will be:

3flip-2t, 3loop(or 3sal, depending on her condition) 2a
Long, probably even easier considering everything.

maybe:
3flip-2t, 3lutz( IF she attempts this jump, possibly instead a second 3loop combo?) 2a, 3sal-euler-2sal, 3loop, 2a, 3t-2t-2loop.

Not in that order for the long and probably not even those combos but just an idea of her probable difficulty. I think it's possible she goes even simpler than this. Anyways, really looking forward to when those PPC drops.