2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 147 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Why is going through regionals and sectionals like everyone else not possible? Gracie has had a fair share of sponsorship money from the past, money that most others in sections/regionals do not have. So the comeback skater thing also applies to nationals (in addition to GP)?

You saw how she did, she wouldn't have made it through to nationals, she just wasn't ready but using her comeback clause to go to a grand prix guaranteed her a spot at nationals which will increase her chance of getting sponsors.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Just wondering - if Gracie doesn’t finish high enough at Nationals for a bye for 2020 Nationals, she would have to go through regionals/sectionals to qualify?

Doesn’t seem likely she will get assigned more GP spots next year if she doesn’t have the TES minimum :(

With another year under her belt she will likely be very able to go through regionals/sectionals. She wouldn't have been ready in time this season. There is nothing wrong with going through it, just she wouldn't have made it to nationals this time.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Kostner made a comeback from a 21 month suspension for lying about the whereabouts of her boyfriend. I imagine she suffered some level of depression and discouragement during that time.

Skaters (Kostner in 2012 is an example) are removed from the entry lists of Grand Prix events due to insufficient time to reach competitive fitness.

Maybe skipping Nationals this year would have been a better plan, unless her latest skate is just a fluke. And, yes, it must have taken incredible courage and nerves of steel to put herself through what just happened.

If she does need sponsors which is very likely skipping nationals could have left her unable to continue training.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No one is bending the rules because they feel sympathetic towards Gracie. Admittedly, she would not have made it through regionals and sectionals in her condition. This is something that is within the rules and, as others have said, can happen once in her career. It's not the end of the world if she needs help one time to make it to Nationals, and she isn't taking a spot that would go to someone else. If any of our other skaters can contribute to an Olympic bronze medal and finish high enough at Worlds to secure 3 spot for the women for several seasons, I'd welcome them to one bye to Nationals, too.

Totally agree! She earned the returning skater status from her past achievements. It’s entirley her spot and her decision what to do with it. Furthermore she isn’t taking anything from anyone! I’m not as optimistic as others though that this was a wise decision. That was tough to watch and I don’t think I have the courage to watch her FS. I certainly respect the hell out of her for putting herself out there though. You gotta be mentally tough to do that in front of the whole world of figure skating.

Im going to say a serious prayer for her tonight!’

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Yes we do. Patrick Chan, Nathan Chen, and Yuzuru Hanyu off the top of my head.

Patrick Chan had the dandruff shirt, some people hated Nathan’s colourblock top for Nemesis, and Hanyu serves a lot of look — but I’ve never seen anyone criticize their choices in a way that implied they were inferior athletes or otherwise physically unsuited for competition.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Nathan got criticism for the white/grey Nemesis top - that it was ugly, unflattering, and some said it made him look fat.

But yeah - not really the same thing.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have seen comments that jeans made Max Aaron look very thick, and Jason Brown's FS bowling shirt made him look fat.

A dozen donuts and a large pizza couldn’t make Jason look fat :roll5:

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Nathan got criticism for the white/grey Nemesis top - that it was ugly, unflattering, and some said it made him look fat.

But yeah - not really the same thing.

I will remain on Team Colourblock until the day that I die. [emoji23]

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
We would never say this about a male skater. There are ugly costumes, but we'd never say a costume made a guy's body look bad.

Sure we would. For example, I (and others) have said this repeatedly about some of Nathan Chen's unfortunate costumes. Ditto for Shoma Uno and other male skaters. A skater, male or female, wants to show their body lines in the best possible light. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes they fail. But fans certainly do talk about that.

Gracie's costume was not just unflattering; it looked terribly uncomfortable to skate in because it was riding up on her. No one should have to skate in an ill-fitting costume like that and I would not be surprised if it negatively affected her performance. This is probably another reason why it's good to try out new costumes at less prestigious competitions first.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Karen posted a 2A+1eu+3sal on instagram. Looks good. I'm glad her recovery and training is going well. Hopefully she doesn't withdraw from the next competition!

tothepointe

On the Ice
drivingmissdaisy, her costume would not have been flattering on anyone imo.

I actually liked her costume and being that we now have similar body types it might be something that I would wear. But then again I've never felt that figure skaters needed to LOOK a certain way. Though of course your body needs to be capable of physically performing but that's another issue.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Personally, I think making a comeback when she's not ready is not good for Gracie's confidence. Cos of her depression issue, a bad result will crush her.

She should have done it Takahashi's way. Slowly. Takahashi just participated in sectionals 1st. To qualify for nationals. He won the sectionals.
Takahashi been retired 2014, he made sure he's ready 1st before announcing his comeback.

If Gracie wanted some International competition exposure, do Challenger competitions 1st. After she's at least 70% ready.