2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 150 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

DenissVFan

Medalist
The thing is the US hasn't even maxed out their GP spots. There's only one American at Rostelecom (originally there were supposed to be two), while the maximum they could have is three but they didn't have high enough personal bests last year.

Besides, it's not like the last skater at US nationals will score +190.

And Gracie DID earn her GP by virtue of her past achievements.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I wish Gracie didn’t have to go through that excruciating experience. USFS should have found a way to give her a bye to Nationals. Not a constructive ordeal.

Why? Would it not have been a better way to ease back into competition by doing regionals/sectionals and small B-comps first? I think it's actually cool the GP series has a comeback skater rule, but why should she get a bye to Nationals when she hasn't competed in two years?

andromache

Record Breaker
And that's all great and dandy for her but she is taking away an opportunity that she hasn't earned from another young skater who is at 80-100% and had worked for the right to be there. Both here and nationals. The American Federation should be embarrassed. Not Gracie because I never begrudge anybody taking any opportunity that comes their way, whether they earned it or not, because God knows I would take it too but the Fed should be embarrassed and ashamed that they gave her the opportunity like that to one of the most senior competitions around. And if I was the skater who worked my butt off but missed out on my opportunity at GP or Nationals because another skater who is struggling with doubles got pushed ahead I can't even write on here what I would be feeling.

This is exactly what happened with Ashley at nationals last year. The Federation giving them unearned opportunities because of their names which fosters laziness and a sense of entitlement and a deluded belief that they don't need to work for it. And until it is sorted out they will never catch up to the likes of Russia and Japan and the sport will keep losing athletes as why would they stick around and waste their time and money when they can work their butts off 100% and be passed over for somebody only working at 30%?

Gracie’s presence at Rostelecom has nothing to do with the choices of USFS. They did not “give” her the opportunity over someone else. She was entitled to a GP slot by the ISU comeback rules. That’s it.

princessalica

Final Flight
Why? Would it not have been a better way to ease back into competition by doing regionals/sectionals and small B-comps first? I think it's actually cool the GP series has a comeback skater rule, but why should she get a bye to Nationals when she hasn't competed in two years?

She did only miss 1 nationals. She competed at the 2017 nationals and placed 6th, 1spot below earning a bye. She only missed the 2018 nationals, and her bye is not removing a spot from someone coming up the pipeline through regionals and sectionals.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And that's all great and dandy for her but she is taking away an opportunity that she hasn't earned from another young skater who is at 80-100% and had worked for the right to be there. Both here and nationals. The American Federation should be embarrassed. Not Gracie because I never begrudge anybody taking any opportunity that comes their way, whether they earned it or not, because God knows I would take it too but the Fed should be embarrassed and ashamed that they gave her the opportunity like that to one of the most senior competitions around. And if I was the skater who worked my butt off but missed out on my opportunity at GP or Nationals because another skater who is struggling with doubles got pushed ahead I can't even write on here what I would be feeling.

This is exactly what happened with Ashley at nationals last year. The Federation giving them unearned opportunities because of their names which fosters laziness and a sense of entitlement and a deluded belief that they don't need to work for it. And until it is sorted out they will never catch up to the likes of Russia and Japan and the sport will keep losing athletes as why would they stick around and waste their time and money when they can work their butts off 100% and be passed over for somebody only working at 30%?

Again, who would they send? They already went down to the #18 lady from last year's Nationals in Megan Wessenberg. Gracie earned her spot based on the rules, and frankly, she is the 2 time US Champion, 4th in the world in 2016, and helped the US win a bronze medal in Sochi. Do you really think they should have sent Katie McBeath (#18), Vivian Le (#19) or Ashley Lin (#20) instead? As someone else said, no one else other than those who got spots was even qualified.

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Honestly I'm a bit surprised at the comments here, especially the ones about her body. Some people seem to be gleeful for any opportunity to put someone down. Well for me, all I saw was something hugely brave and inspirational last night.
Agreed. I'm fine with people being blunt in a general sense, especially with top-level athletes, but I honestly don't understand how people here have the gall to make negative comments or suggestions about the weight or body of someone who's just come out of professional treatment for anorexia. IMO comments like that display a complete and utter lack of humanity.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
1. Gracie was really brave to go out and skate. None of us know how she is skating in practice.

2. There is no need to act like sending her was some great moral failing by USFS. She followed the rules- if you have a problem with the rules take that up with the ISU.

3. Gracie is a real person with feelings. I love figure skating but if you have to tear someone down to make your point then I suggest taking a look in the mirror.

4. In the end this may end up being a valuable step on the way to returning at the level she wants. I am not an elite athlete, I don’t know their plan.

5. Let’s support all our US ladies.

frida80

Record Breaker
Still at Eastern sectionals. There's something surreal about seeing Kimmie Meisner gab with other coaches like it's just another day. I guess for her it is. It does put everything as a skating fan into perspective though. We may idolize them, but in the end they are normal people that will go one to lead normal lives. We are truly privileged to get to see them at their athletic best and shame with their triumphs. But really, it's just interesting to see them in a different light.

skatemom0810

Rinkside
Gracie WD from the long. I’m admittedly sad about it, I love the music and the choreography she practiced looked nice. Hopefully she’ll continue moving forward and get herself into a good place.

WesleyFox

Rinkside
I'm sad, but not surprised at Gracie's withdraw. I kinda wish she'd gone ahead and soldiered through it.
I understand why she would WD.

I don't know what to make of her reaction in the K&C, but I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

Question: Does she still get her by to nationals with the WD?

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I'm sad, but not surprised at Gracie's withdraw. I kinda wish she'd gone ahead and soldiered through it.
I understand why she would WD.

I don't know what to make of her reaction in the K&C, but I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

Question: Does she still get her by to nationals with the WD?

She completed the short so I am going to say yes.

Her reaction in the kiss and cry was concerning to me. I know she is not that far into her comeback but I think there had to be some kind of realistic expectation as to where she was at. She has cited herself as a Type A/Perfectionist in the past and I thought her comment about putting out trash and referring to her personality when she said she didn’t want to do a smaller comp were kind of alarming.

WesleyFox

Rinkside
She completed the short so I am going to say yes.

Her reaction in the kiss and cry was concerning to me. I know she is not that far into her comeback but I think there had to be some kind of realistic expectation as to where she was at. She has cited herself as a Type A/Perfectionist in the past and I thought her comment about putting out trash and referring to her personality when she said she didn’t want to do a smaller comp were kind of alarming.

One reason that I'm hopeful...

Her reactions appear to be completely honest.
No big smiles and waves. No facade.

Her response, "Jesus Christ" to the sp score had me rolling.. That seemed so real. I felt it.
I'm not worried about the "something, even if it was trash" quote... It's realism. Guess it would help if we HEARD her say it. Hard to pick up on inflection in print.

The quote about going to this GP being something within personality.. maybe partially true. Probably a cover for "It was now or never for ISU Comebacks"

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Apparently according to Mitch Moyer, he was monitoring Gracie at Russia. He said that she could’ve went to nationals without competing at Rostelecom. I think she WDed from the FS to get better.

mrrice

Record Breaker

This was my question as well. Why didn't she do any B's, Sectionals, or Regionals. I remember Tuk competing in several small events in 2016. For Gracie to comeback at arguably the toughest GP as a debut didn't seem like a wise choice. Here's hoping she learned something from this experience.