2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 151 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
One reason that I'm hopeful...

Her reactions appear to be completely honest.
No big smiles and waves. No facade.

Her response, "Jesus Christ" to the sp score had me rolling.. That seemed so real. I felt it.
I'm not worried about the "something, even if it was trash" quote... It's realism. Guess it would help if we HEARD her say it. Hard to pick up on inflection in print.

The quote about going to this GP being something within personality.. maybe partially true. Probably a cover for "It was now or never for ISU Comebacks"

She was definitely real in the kiss and cry. It’s what made me think twice. I don’t need to hear her say what she quoted. The word choice said enough. I’m not saying this in any mean kind of way. It’s more concern than anything.

I really do want her to succeed and do what’s best for her. I give her a lot of credit for showing up and trying. Although I feel the USFS could have given her a bye- based solely on the fact she stopped competing to take care of mental health issues. They should be treated as any physical injury should. I imagine she needs to compete at Nationals to secure some funding. Her sponsors are no longer listed on her social media bios. I hope she has a supportive team in place. Some of the audience reactions had me like—ehhhhh.... I just want her to be ok is all.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Gracie has said on Twitter that the reason of her withdrawal was to not hurt her mental health and confidence because of her short program yesterday. She is planning on competing at Nationals so good for her. I completely understand that the first competition after a break will cause a chaos in her mind if she doesn’t get the results she was hoping for. She probably expected herself to be in the first group for the FS, but yet her SP score was very low. That is probably what frustrated her. Glad that she competed in the short and got herself a bye.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Apparently according to Mitch Moyer, he was monitoring Gracie at Russia. He said that she could’ve went to nationals without competing at Rostelecom. I think she WDed from the FS to get better.

So she didn’t need to compete at Rostelecom?

It is great to see her back on the ice, but at this same time - this is really tough. I’m not sure competitive skating at this level can be healthy for someone recovering from an eating disorder and other issues :(. Not only the criticism, but that it might not be possible to be very competitive without losing weight :(.

Her health is the most important.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
I hope USFS sends Gracie to a senior B event or something before nationals so that she could get some more momentum heading into nationals. But, it looks like they won’t.

skatemom0810

Rinkside
Here’s her tweets for those who don’t have Twitter:

I’m heartbroken to withdraw from tonight’s free skate. It was a difficult decision to make, but ultimately I need to put my mental health first and focus on the big picture. Looking forward, I need to keep improving both my physical and mental condition...(part 1)

I thought checking into treatment last fall was the most difficult thing I’ve ever done, but skating my short program last night might have topped it. I do not want to undo the tremendous progress I’ve made in these last few months (part 2)

and I feel that competing the free skate would be damaging to both my confidence and mental health going into Nationals. I thank you all for your support, and I am so sorry if I have let you guys down. This is just the start for me, and I know that greater things are yet to come

frida80

Record Breaker
Just saw Ting. She didn't fall apart in her second half of her FS like before. She did miss the Euler salchow combo, underrotated a 3Lo, and fell on her final jump. Better here than Tallin.

frida80

Record Breaker
Megan started with a hard fall but recovered well. Those jumps look so breath taking in person.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Anyone know what happened to the stream on Usfs fan zone? It is not showing the events tht are live right now. Ugh. Anyways, bummer that Emmy won't make nationals.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Just saw Ting. She didn't fall apart in her second half of her FS like before. She did miss the Euler salchow combo, underrotated a 3Lo, and fell on her final jump. Better here than Tallin.

That's an improvement at least. I hope she can medal at Tallin, she definitely can.

Ross74

Medalist
Anyone know what happened to the stream on Usfs fan zone? It is not showing the events tht are live right now. Ugh. Anyways, bummer that Emmy won't make nationals.

Fan Zone is only airing Novice, Intermediate, and Juvenile. Juniors and Seniors are on NBC Sports Gold

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s been nerve wracking following the results pages to see who made it thru to nationals. I think I’m up to three skaters and coaches that I know and am pulling for who advanced. Still a couple left making their run at it :pray:

Much respect for the athletes and families who live it :bow:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I thought she is away from social media, but still twits? I am glad she finally came to the reality. Too bad she couldn't foresee the competition result and stop earlier.
The coaches probably saw it coming, or any casual fan of figure skating who saw her in practice. They probably just fully support whatever Gracie has decided.

Here’s her tweets for those who don’t have Twitter:

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Again, who would they send? They already went down to the #18 lady from last year's Nationals in Megan Wessenberg. Gracie earned her spot based on the rules, and frankly, she is the 2 time US Champion, 4th in the world in 2016, and helped the US win a bronze medal in Sochi. Do you really think they should have sent Katie McBeath (#18), Vivian Le (#19) or Ashley Lin (#20) instead? As someone else said, no one else other than those who got spots was even qualified.

They could have sent Courtney Hicks, who still has only 1 assignment despite winning GP medals in recent seasons. Also is high on the replacement list.

frida80

Record Breaker
Looks like Emmy Ma won’t be at nationals

Unfortunately no. That program was too green. She fell the first two passes and underrotated the rest of her triples. Regardless, I'm glad I got a chance to see her and hope she can train hard for next year. Her FS is stunning and I hope she keeps it for next year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Apparently according to Mitch Moyer, he was monitoring Gracie at Russia. He said that she could’ve went to nationals without competing at Rostelecom. I think she WDed from the FS to get better.

If so, this is a change from what the rule was before. IIRC, when Kimmie Meissner withdrew from her GP events in 2009, it made her ineligible to bye into the 2010 Nationals.

I'm sort of mixed on Gracie withdrawing. I was fully behind her yesterday after her poor skate in the SP, and I understand wanting to build her confidence. However, I really feel like if you're going to commit to participating in an event, you should finish it. She could have gone out there, done all doubles, came in last and I don't think it would have affected her that much because she wasn't putting her best out there.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If so, this is a change from what the rule was before. IIRC, when Kimmie Meissner withdrew from her GP events in 2009, it made her ineligible to bye into the 2010 Nationals.

I'm sort of mixed on Gracie withdrawing. I was fully behind her yesterday after her poor skate in the SP, and I understand wanting to build her confidence. However, I really feel like if you're going to commit to participating in an event, you should finish it. She could have gone out there, done all doubles, came in last and I don't think it would have affected her that much because she wasn't putting her best out there.

I think if she had sold the heck out of an all double programs she would have been met with love and support and open arms.