2018 Internationaux de France Men's Short Program | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018 Internationaux de France Men's Short Program

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I’d much rather see a skate like Jason’s than one with eeked out/failed quads.

I hope Boyang rallies in the FS, there’s something quite adorable and charming about him.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Which is why I believe the new scoring system will limit the athleticism of figure skating...or at least set it back. Skaters should not be afraid to try and land new jump in competitions, because they know that the judges will rip them into pieces if they are not perfect.

Nah, it just means skaters can't rely on jumping quads and praying for a Hail Mary on whether they land them or not to accumulate points.

This is the correct balance of rewarding both skating and jumps.

champagnerain

Final Flight
Which is why I believe the new scoring system will limit the athleticism of figure skating...or at least set it back. Skaters should not be afraid to try and land new jump in competitions, because they know that the judges will rip them into pieces if they are not perfect.

Yo, Artur Dmitriev attempted a 4A last week, let's not get ahead of ourselves with fatalism about no one attempting difficult jumps. :laugh2:

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Nah, it just means skaters can't rely on jumping quads and praying for a Hail Mary on whether they land them or not to accumulate points.

This is the correct balance of rewarding both skating and jumps.

Exactly. This is a sport, not kindergarten. No one should get an A for effort. If you're going to do something, do it well. And if you can't, then your score will rightfully reflect that. It's not that difficult a concept. The whole "they shouldn't be afraid to try things" logic is just silly. Practice is why you try and fall. Competition is where you have to deliver. That's that.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dmitri has beautiful skating skills, his spins however do need more work. I don't think he has enough time to work on his spins, since unlike Jason, he actually tries to do quads.

Ooooooooof, you want a shaker for all that salt?

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Well I am thrilled Jason is out there continuing to prove that quality matters, even if you're not doing the most difficult stuff. I say this as a fan of a lot of the other guys here. If you're not thrilled, don't worry, at least one of the multi-quad athletes will pull ahead of him in the free.

(Still scratching my head a bit over Samarin's score, though.)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I would rather watch clean, beautifully skated programs with no quads than a splat fest of empty cross-overs and bad choreography.

I think what we want to see is that perfect combination of both: Great jumps, beautiful skating. good programs and great performance skills. Those who can do all that are few and far between. Yuzuru and Javi come to mind for me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
okay okay, I actually have to try and get some sleep now.

night all :bed:

readernick

Medalist
Well I am thrilled Jason is out there continuing to prove that quality matters, even if you're not doing the most difficult stuff. I say this as a fan of a lot of the other guys here. If you're not thrilled, don't worry, at least one of the multi-quad athletes will pull ahead of him in the free.

(Still scratching my head a bit over Samarin's score, though.)

Yes, Samarin really deserved negative GOE on those quads and he had higher PCS than Aliev. Odd, very odd!

astaphta

Rinkside
Indeed. If anything Brown's PCS were a little undercooked here: low 9s in all areas. His lead over Chen (45 to 43) feels insufficiently marked. I won't even comment on Samarin's 40, which he absolutely does not deserve.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
That would be a truly interesting competition. If Jason had Yuzuru's technical content would rival him for the top of the podium.. Maybe.

I think that is what makes Hanyu so special. He is the compete package and when it puts it all together no one can argue that he is the best and should win.

Agree, but I don’t think rivaling Hanyu outright (assuming everyone goes clean) is necessarily a realistic goal — same story with Chen. Jason doesn’t have the same BV they do, and that’s a limitation, but consistency, hitting all your levels in spins and the steps, and raking in high GOE help to close the gap. Is it enough to overtake a 3A, 4F//4Lz-3T Chen in the short? No. But ignoring the 10% bonus, a programme’s max TES is literally “(sum of all elements)/2 + sum of all elements,” which is far more than what Jason’s theoretical max was last season.

Jason may not be a threat to the top of the podium if everyone goes clean, but being strong and steady when others falter makes you dangerous. And I guess I don’t see the shame in that? He won’t ever have the highest BV, so in a face off of clean skates, he can’t close the gap in GOE and PCS alone. But, and I say this without wishing for anyone to have a bad skate, it’s rare for the men to put two completely clean skates together in a single competition.

And for all we know, Yuzu is paying forward Javi’s influence by helping Jason with the 4S. [emoji41]

discode

Final Flight
Not that surprised Nathan didn't do that well. He's been off in practice these last two days and stressing me out. He just didn't seem that into it this time either. He can make it up in the FS, but he seriously needs to get those levels up. Now I guess it's back to the he should leave Yale talk again, in which Raf will be #1 supporter of. :slink:

Jason deserved his score. Happy for Romain. I don't understand Samarin getting positive GOE for those jumps, but his placement is correct.