2023 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2023 Grand Prix de France Men's Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Every time I see Shimada, I think back to junior worlds in Zagreb when my friend and I were sitting next to a fan of his who threw flowers on the ice after his program and accidentally also threw her cell phone.
I must admit I have feared doing that myself.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Cute smiles

And Sweden's fed, give her the spot, too! Otherwise you will see a mass of GS forum members at your office..
Swedish fed has always sent skaters who qualifies to worlds and Euros. It's the olympic committee who is strict. Which to an extent I can understand. They must consider a lot of athletes who do well in many sports. Every participant is a big cost.

Happy for Josefin. It was so close last season.

nguyhm

On the Ice
hello everyone and welcome to the cactus farm

6728c0767c2818a40e7a561b20dc17ac.JPG
Mine is Camden

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm more so frustrated at the judges' inability to distinguish between the three categories. You can give Ilia an 8.75 in performance - he sold that program - and a 7.75 in skating skills. That's how it's supposed to work, but that's not what the judges are doing. This has been a problem for years in skating, and it's resulted in some serious PCS robbery for some skaters *cough Josefin Taljegard cough* because their other PCS components aren't as strong. But ultimately that's something the judging panel and ISU need to work out, the skaters don't control their scores.
I havenā€™t seen the programs yet so will not comment on todays scoring specifically, but I strongly agree with this in general. Moreover it isnā€™t consistentā€” judges seem to pick one aspect of PCS per skater to score the other categories relative to, but hold different skaters to different standards. Some favored few have their marks raised across the board to match their strengths (such as a skater with an 8.75 performance and poor skating skills also receiving an 8.5 on skating skills when arguably they deserved lower) some get lower scores even on their strengths because itā€™s all scored relative to their weakest component. And often those skaters are judged by the same panel at the same event! Itā€™s continually frustrating.

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Lutzedge

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ilia scored a 104 last time. He scored 101 with a fall on something that doesn't even deduct you 3 points. So without the fall, he would've likely scored about 104. A fall on a step sequence doesn't deduct very much. It's not like he fell on a jump, which would've cost around 5-10 points. Ilia is definitely improving in PCS and is showing personality in this performance. Yuma Kagiyama was scoring 45+ PCS when he just moved up, and he didn't show emotion through his programs and had to develop better skating skills. The thing that is wrong is Adam's PCS. He should be scoring 45+ points in that category. If Adam were judged rightfully in his PCS, things would be looking different.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLDā€¦.in 2026.
Final Flight
Heh, the judge from Spain drank a bottle of happy juice right before Ilia took to the ice.

Michetta

Rinkside
This result shows that the current scoring system benefits jumps and not integrity of the programs or artistry. This point of discussion comes up every season, however it seems ISU is not changing anything soon. Nowadays, I hear people talk about quintuple jumps. Would it be a thing we hear about in next Olympic? I hope not.

Would I like to see todayā€™s Malininā€™s program 10 years later? Probably not. How about ISU create a criteria to showcase jumps but nothing much else? Skaters with amazing artistry, skating skills, and creativity have been passed over for many years now and I am losing interest. Sigh.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The top three were electrifying!!
Why are 3/4 top skaters for this season, all against each other at this event?
Yuma is my favourite male skater. Love the balance between quads and artistry. I hope he finds a way to sneak into silver.

Stephen Gogolev - I see you šŸ˜³
That was a fantastic skate. If he holds it tmrw, could he be our salvation for keeping the two spots at Worlds?

This is the event Iā€™m most looking forward to, tomorrow

ChiGal

Rinkside
Just watched the men's short replay on Peacock...what an event! The men brought it today for sure! All these skaters had interesting music as a bonus. I wish the other diciplines would take note, especially the ladies.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I literally don't think I've ever seen Ilia fall before.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Stephen Gogolev - I see you šŸ˜³
That was a fantastic skate. If he holds it tmrw, could he be our salvation for keeping the two spots at Worlds?
Shh, Canadian men and pressure don't go well together šŸ¤«
That said, he was great at Autumn Classic... the seeds of hope are quietly growing (I hope they don't grow spikes)