2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 740 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe it would be nice to split this thread to accommodate everyone?

1) Russian Ladies (competitions)
2) Russian Ladies (rumors/general talk)
3) F4A Evgenia Medvedeva & TAT and her crew vs Eteri - Pretty drama about instagram, SMS, fanbaiting, clickbaity headlines to create hype and general conspirancy theories welcome

Tat has earned her own thread.

:love: Tat Talk :love:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes the evidence is I saw Medvedeva on video speaking to the Olympic Committee when Russia was going to be kept out of the Olympics and then all of a sudden they are in the Olympics as OAR. I credit evgenia.

That was a great task and she solved very smartly, but the little Russian team were in Korea not because of Evgenia's speech. I didn't see any result of her speech a lot of innocent athletes couldn't go after that! Interesting the Russians also don't think that was Evgenia's merit. If I right remember many Olympic champions ( not only Russian, but for ex Scott Hamilton signed a petition and they asked the IOC to change their decision..There was no result...

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
That was a great task and she solved very smartly, but the little Russian team were in Korea not because of Evgeni's speech. I didn't see any result of her speech a lot of innocent athletes couldn't go after that! Interesting the Russians also don't think that was Evgenia's merit. If I right remember many Olympic champions ( not only Russian, but for ex Scott Hamilton signed a petition and they asked the IOC to change their decision..There was no result...

Maybe you are right. After all, why would the ministry of sports (or whatever entity it is) waste its time, resources, effort, to bring a potential Olympian to help make its case before the IOC to allow Russian athletes to participate in the Olympics, if by its estimation, it would have been a useless exercise.

Following this logic, there is clearly no case to give any kind of merit to Evgenia.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I do think skaters care little to nothing about fans/social media critique, or public opinion and tabloid press about them.

When they compete, it is for earning their coaches' appreciation alone. Just look how they leave the ice and immediately look up at the coaches with the question 'how did I do?' clearly visible on their faces.
Coaches always say "(not) OK, (but) you should/could have done better here, there, this and that"

While watching the recent Russian National Championships I could silently hear the swear words roll from the coaches' mouths, with "Gospodi" (Oh Lord!) the mildest, LOL, when a skater had a fall, pop or other error.

After competition' evaluations, skaters immediately put bad feelings behind themselves and start working towards their next goals, competitions etc.
They'll probably laugh about us fans keeping arguing and bickering about things that are clearly in the past.
Athletes always live in the present and look towards the future, they have no desire, time and energy to cry over spilled milk, water flown under the bridge etc.

moriel

Record Breaker
Maybe you are right. After all, why would the ministry of sports (or whatever entity it is) waste its time, resources, effort, to bring a potential Olympian to help make its case before the IOC to allow Russian athletes to participate in the Olympics, if by its estimation, it would have been a useless exercise.

Following this logic, there is clearly no case to give any kind of merit to Evgenia.

Because its part of the diplomacy dance.

moriel

Record Breaker
I do think skaters care little to nothing about fans/social media critique, or public opinion and tabloid press about them.

When they compete, it is for earning their coaches' appreciation alone. Just look how they leave the ice and immediately look up at the coaches with the question 'how did I do?' clearly visible on their faces.
Coaches always say "(not) OK, (but) you should/could have done better here, there, this and that"

While watching the recent Russian National Championships I could silently hear the swear words roll from the coaches' mouths, with "Gospodi" (Oh Lord!) the mildest, LOL, when a skater had a fall, pop or other error.

After competition' evaluations, skaters immediately put bad feelings behind themselves and start working towards their next goals, competitions etc.
They'll probably laugh about us fans keeping arguing and bickering about things that are clearly in the past.
Athletes always live in the present and look towards the future, they have no desire, time and energy to cry over spilled milk, water flown under the bridge etc.

Depends. There are skaters who read it (for instance, Alina said so in an interview), and there is no way the critique, specially rude and unfair critique, does not affect the ones who read it.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Useless part. That's why no credit should be given to the participant, continuing with the logic that others have expressed here.

Thus:

Evgenia was made a part of the diplomacy dance, which ultimately resulted in (some) Russian athletes participating in the last Winter Olympics. But, of course, she deserves no credit whatsoever for her part in this. ;)

I am following.

Because its part of the diplomacy dance.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Depends. There are skaters who read it (for instance, Alina said so in an interview), and there is no way the critique, specially rude and unfair critique, does not affect the ones who read it.

Perhaps in the very young and inexperienced in real life disillusions, i.e. children? Professional sportsmen like Medvyedeva and Zagitova probably think "who are you to call me this, ask me that, put those words in my mouth?" and shrug it off. At least that is what I think their media counsellors should teach them. Hopefully skaters get some media training once they turn senior and are in the spotlights more often.

PS: those of you that have watched the 3A's media appearance in Channel 1's Vremya and on Urgant's evening show. Vremya's presenter clearly was out of his wits when dealing the youngest medalists he probably has ever had to interview for his news show. Urgant did well, he and the girls had a few laughs, though Trusova clearly watched him with hawk's eyes because of her little dog Tina in his lap. Tina sort of broke the ice and put both parties at ease.

Was there any appearances in news shows aimed at children, or aren't there any in Russia?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

That was like the usual present of the famous athletes on the IOC session when they decide and announce the host city of the OG. Or there are always famous football players from the bidding countries on the FIFA, UEFA session. The Russian didn't want to miss the opportunity of Evgenia's charm. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nvm...I deleted half my post and lost the whole thing while editing after accidentally posting it anyway :laugh:

Fluture

Record Breaker
The pressure will be still there.
Russian media is currently weird, very weird.

Currently? No offense, but hasn‘t it been very weird for quite some time now? Or has anything changed in particular? Tell us non-Russian folks! Is it some crazy TAT talk again? :biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
Currently? No offense, but hasn‘t it been very weird for quite some time now? Or has anything changed in particular? Tell us non-Russian folks! Is it some crazy TAT talk again? :biggrin:

Oh it has been, but just keeps doing it.
Tons of "Zhenya is the russian chance at Worlds" and other similar posts on social media.

Stuff like

"Intrigue of the year, Zagitova and Medvedeva against senior Trusova" https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2019/01/04/a_12118363.shtml
"Afraid of juniors? Zagitova is learning quads" https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2018/12/29/a_12114019.shtml

Scott512

Record Breaker
It doesn't matter what eteri thinks or looks near zhenya. And this has and should have nothing to do with both t or only one being in the team, and you suddenly seem to forget the interactions betwwenzhenya and alina . You know at the gala? Or did you forget those things cause it they speak against your argument. ?

Alina had just bombed her free skate at Russian Nationals I'm sure she was devastated and her coaches were unhappy so under no circumstances were they going to stop and talk to or look at Zhenya or anyone else. Nor would Zhenya expect them to talk to her or make eye contact with her at that time and place.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe it would be nice to split this thread to accommodate everyone?

1) Russian Ladies (competitions)
2) Russian Ladies (rumors/general talk)
3) F4A Evgenia Medvedeva & TAT and her crew vs Eteri - Pretty drama about instagram, SMS, fanbaiting, clickbaity headlines to create hype and general conspirancy theories welcome

Yes so I can block the third one.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alina had just bombed her free skate at Russian Nationals I'm sure she was devastated and her coaches were unhappy so under no circumstances were they going to stop and talk to at Zhenya or anyone else. Nor would Zhenya expect them to talk to her at that time and place.

Exactly

Scott512

Record Breaker
Oh it has been, but just keeps doing it.
Tons of "Zhenya is the russian chance at Worlds" and other similar posts on social media.

Stuff like

"Intrigue of the year, Zagitova and Medvedeva against senior Trusova" https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2019/01/04/a_12118363.shtml
"Afraid of juniors? Zagitova is learning quads" https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2018/12/29/a_12114019.shtml

Unfortunately I can't read it because it won't translate for me. or maybe I'm better off not reading it.

Scott512

Record Breaker

I give a lot of credit to Zhenya for helping Russia even be in the Olympics and I know two people who also give her credit their names are Alina and Eteri. There careers are great because of the olympics. And the gold medal winning hockey team is also happy Russia was in the Olympics. ;;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I give a lot of credit to Zhenya for helping Russia even be in the Olympics and I know two people who also give her credit their names are Alina and Eteri. There careers are great because of the olympics. And the gold medal winning hockey team is also happy Russia was in the Olympics. ;;)

:agree:

Zhenya was the one who went before the IOC. Zhenya was the one who successfully pleaded a case that athletes from Russia be permitted to compete.

I say that as a “Westerner” (boy I hate those designations and do not find them helpful). If “Westerners” on the IOC had not been convinced, there would have been no OAR at the games.

“What if’s” are pie in the sky. What if someone else had gone? Who knows, who cares :shrug: What if Nathan Chen had skated a clean short? who knows, who cares. :shrug:

To be unable to even acknowledge this simple fact. Like wow:confused:

tokoyami

On the Ice
all I can say is that im gonna be banned for using the 'report' button so much

I'm sorry mods forgive me!!!!