2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 259 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

RobinA

On the Ice
What does that mean? Alina went full senior the minute she was able to because she was at the right time/body to win OGM. I think it behooves skaters to skate seniors as soon as they can.

I agree, to a point. I think the operative word is "can." Things do change a lot in four years, so if this is someone's only shot, go. Or a lady is ready to contend, I mean really contend, Not, "If she's having a good day and everybody else has a bad day she could maybe if the stars align get a bronze," then yes go for it in seniors. But no up-and-coming American lady is in this position. They should wait until they are really ready to make the move. Frankly, I think Beijing is not going to be the year for American Ladies. Obviously if that's your one shot, go, but I think that the program in general should be looking past Beijing at this point.

rlopen

On the Ice
I agree, to a point. I think the operative word is "can." Things do change a lot in four years, so if this is someone's only shot, go. Or a lady is ready to contend, I mean really contend, Not, "If she's having a good day and everybody else has a bad day she could maybe if the stars align get a bronze," then yes go for it in seniors. But no up-and-coming American lady is in this position. They should wait until they are really ready to make the move. Frankly, I think Beijing is not going to be the year for American Ladies. Obviously if that's your one shot, go, but I think that the program in general should be looking past Beijing at this point.

Idk...if a junior feels ready to go senior and feels like they're skating near their best and don't need time to get more experience under their belt I say go for it. I think Ting is essentially ready for that and should at the very least be a semi-junior, semi-senior next year at the very least. Hanna I'm not sure about but it's her choice, not mine. If she feels like she wants to and feels ready then I say go for it. I don't think keeping a junior who "maybe if the stars align get a bronze" at the junior level does them any good if they feel like they want to take on seniors and are age eligible for it. After all, skaters like Osmond, Daleman, Tennell, etc. were never really considered to be super strong junior prodigies but they've turned out to have fine senior careers regardless. And then you've had skaters like Caroline Zhang, Polina Tsurskaya, Serafima Sakhanovich, etc. who were incredible juniors and seemed very ready to go to seniors but never quite had the senior careers that people were hoping for from them.

natsulian

Final Flight
According to word on the street, Ting is supposedly leaving Tom for Raf. Can someone please explain why every US skater seems to gravitate towards Raf? I know Tom’s skaters suffer from inconsistencies and under-rotations, but Raf seems to already have a plethora of skaters... isn’t Ting’s team (Dad) worried about whether or not Raf will make time to prioritize his skaters equally with so many skaters already? Also, I heard that Raf’s technique is not as focused on skating skills which should be Ting’s biggest goal this upcoming season according to many people.

A long post made short, what are the pros and cons of Tom and Raf respectively? Thank you in advance.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Supposedly Ting’s dad wanted her to go to Raf before she had moved to Tom as well. Not sure what happened there.

If Raf thinks she has potential to win Nationals (and more), don’t think she wouldn’t be prioritized there. Likely he was disappointed that he was like one jump away from having both Mariah and Nathan win the title this year.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Can someone please explain why every US skater seems to gravitate towards Raf? …

"Every" U.S. singles skater does not gravitate towards Raf. Or towards any other one particular coach.

(For the record, I have a lot of respect for both Raf and Tom. As well as for other coaches.)

BTW, Bradie's pre-Worlds media teleconference took place today. Lynn Rutherford's tweet:

ETA:

In case not previously mentioned:

This coming Sunday, Mar 17, Mirai and Ashley W (plus Sean Rabbitt) will perform in the Chicago area -- at a fundraising show at Fox Valley Ice Arena.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Idk...if a junior feels ready to go senior and feels like they're skating near their best and don't need time to get more experience under their belt I say go for it. I think Ting is essentially ready for that and should at the very least be a semi-junior, semi-senior next year at the very least. Hanna I'm not sure about but it's her choice, not mine. If she feels like she wants to and feels ready then I say go for it. I don't think keeping a junior who "maybe if the stars align get a bronze" at the junior level does them any good if they feel like they want to take on seniors and are age eligible for it. After all, skaters like Osmond, Daleman, Tennell, etc. were never really considered to be super strong junior prodigies but they've turned out to have fine senior careers regardless. And then you've had skaters like Caroline Zhang, Polina Tsurskaya, Serafima Sakhanovich, etc. who were incredible juniors and seemed very ready to go to seniors but never quite had the senior careers that people were hoping for from them.

Ting needs to move up to Seniors she has nothing left to really prove in Juniors. She's already medaled at a Senior B this season and was 5th at Nationals and skated at 4CC. With the void of really good Senior ladies she could easily be top 3 next season as it is she was 5th even after a terrible SP that put her in 12th place so she's already more then competitive.

natsulian

Final Flight
Supposedly Ting’s dad wanted her to go to Raf before she had moved to Tom as well. Not sure what happened there.

If Raf thinks she has potential to win Nationals (and more), don’t think she wouldn’t be prioritized there. Likely he was disappointed that he was like one jump away from having both Mariah and Nathan win the title this year.
Hopefully Ting stays with Raf from now on until she herself thinks it’s time to move on. Moving from coach to coach every season must be hard on her.

frida80

Record Breaker
According to word on the street, Ting is supposedly leaving Tom for Raf. Can someone please explain why every US skater seems to gravitate towards Raf? I know Tom’s skaters suffer from inconsistencies and under-rotations, but Raf seems to already have a plethora of skaters... isn’t Ting’s team (Dad) worried about whether or not Raf will make time to prioritize his skaters equally with so many skaters already? Also, I heard that Raf’s technique is not as focused on skating skills which should be Ting’s biggest goal this upcoming season according to many people.

A long post made short, what are the pros and cons of Tom and Raf respectively? Thank you in advance.

I'd wait for a few months for confirmation before speculating. Ting had an epic meltdown at 4CC, which would make any parent upset. Now that she has a JW medal, that may change some things.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Wow if Ting moves to Raf, he’s gonna be busy. AFAIK, he has Mariah Bell, Marin Honda, and Eunsoo Lim currently.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The second video where she lands it is really good! Now for combos;)

this is great news. Though I am a little concerned that the way it was presented itis as though she is just getting the lutz back now or more solid and yes the combo is next. So then what in the world was she trying to do in November 2018 in Russia? I hope that doesn't mean it was her intent to do a double lutz double toe?

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Wow if Ting moves to Raf, he’s gonna be busy. AFAIK, he has Mariah Bell, Marin Honda, and Eunsoo Lim currently.

Tom has a lot of skaters, and unlike Raf, he appears to travel to every competition with them.

TSL also said Ting was going to move to Raf last time - before she moved to Tom, so who knows if it’s really going to happen.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Raf also seemed to be coaching half the skaters at 4CC lol. On one hand, how exciting if Ting can work with Eunsoo, Marin, Mariah, and Nathan maybe once a year hehe. On the other... idk, I want her to get the attention she deserves. Maybe a move up to Edmonton with Ravi and Kaetlyn? :p

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I remember someone on the forum said Raf won't take a skater unless he fully believes the skater (has great potential?). Might it be Ting approached him last year and was not successful, and he now changed his mind? Didn't he invite Mariah to train with him years ago?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I remember someone on the forum said Raf won't take a skater unless he fully believes the skater (has great potential?). Might it be Ting approached him last year and was not successful, and he now changed his mind? Didn't he invite Mariah to train with him years ago?

No, Mariah is the one who requested to train with Raf.

As for "great potential," I will note (without disrespect to any skater) that Raf does coach other ladies who clearly are not in the same league as Mariah, Marin, and Eunsoo -- and who would surprise me if they were able to grow into the same league.

I have no idea why/how the old rumor about Ting got started, but your theory does not seem particularly likely to me. Just my opinion.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Raf has made it very clear in interviews that skaters approach him for coaching - he doesn’t recruit/poach, etc.

natsulian

Final Flight
I worry that if Ting stays with Tom, she will keep experiencing inconsistencies. She was one of Tom’s few skaters to put together two nearly clean performances at Junior Worlds. Young had boot problems and her old problems plagued her during the Short and Camden had a mini-meltdown during the Long.