2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 947 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Giltedge

Final Flight

Another entertaining Senior Girls (EA) Free Skate programme today in
Novices Championships of Russia (Zhuk Memorial), City of Tver.

Kamila was in simply superb form (TES 78.19, FS 143.15, total for the 3 segments 273.51).

Likewise great FS skating (and quick thinking) by Sofyas A and S, for silver and bronze.

Dominated by Team Tutberidze and Davydov. Good FS and overall performance by Darya Loboda, who got into the final flight ahead of Darya U, and came in 6th oa (coach Irina Smirnova).

1 Kamila Valieva, 2 Sofya Akatieva, 3 Sofya Samodelkina 4 Maia Khromykh 5 Darya Usachёva, 6 Darya Loboda, Sofya Muravieva was 7th

(A better crowd here than Zagreb for JWCh and Kamila even got plushies tossed to her.)

:clap:

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I think they will be fine. If there were troubling practice reports maybe I could understand the worry. Of course what matters most is what happens during the competition, but both Alina and Evgenia have looked solid in practice so far. I don’t see an impending disaster.

To be fair, Zhenya had good practices for most of the season. I feel that practices are often hard to interpret for the ladies, especially the ones near the top.

zounger

Medalist
I thought people will miss Liza, Maria or Stanislava, but really you missed Eteri? That's some turn... :biggrin:

zounger

Medalist
Hey I don't hate eteri,just disagree with some of her thinking.

My comment was general the "you" was in plural. Even if you hate her, it's not my business. As what she is thinking I don't know and I wouldn't like to know. Even Mel Gibson had problems with what women are thinking... :biggrin:

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
There was some discussion earlier about why russia have both elder age novice natioanls as well as junior nationals and I can be wrong since im not russian but i interpreted it as this.
Younger age novice nationals, one category for 11(?) and younger and another for 11-13yo
Elder age novice nationals, 12-15yo
junior nationals, 12-19 yo, though it is unusuall with skaters older than 16 (beyond 1st senoir season)
Senior nationals, 14 and above.

With several overlapping age categories and all of there competitons taking place at differet times it is possible for skaters to participate in up to 3 different nationals one seson if they are good enough to qualify.

Giltedge

Final Flight
Ted Barton's humble message:

"On my way to Japan and the World Championships.

Looking forward to seeing the start of the lead up to Beijing 2022
and speaking to some of the remarkable coaches from around the World.

I feel lucky to have this sport as part of my life.
Reports to come during the week. Stay tuned!
"

Looking forward to Ted Barton's insights, and perhaps further interviews with the coaches. Let's hope his presence there inspires respectful and unobtrusive commentaries all round!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Good luck to all of the Russian ladies at Worlds! :hap10:

May Sofia continue her incredible season with another first - her first world championships! She's got the momentum and the consistency, so "all" she needs to do is trust in herself and technique. She can do it!

May Evgenia continue her upswing that she started with her FS at Russian Nationals. With her new combinations and her new coaches, she is hungry to redeem herself after a disappointing season. The SP will be key for it, but she can do it!

May Alina find the same mentality that she had at the Olympics / Nebelhorn Trophy / Japan Open, where she had clean skates. She's got so much talent and potential and just needs to put it all together. This is her year to win Worlds :) She can do it!

sx98423

On the Ice
Based on this practice video, would you say Evgenia's jumps look way way better than even Russian Cup Final?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFuI6tV2Iys

idk what it is with zhenya's jumps they always look good to me from far away but close up shots makes them look really small. i don't see way better jumps tho, some of them have looked borderline UR. but it seems like she's getting her consistency back so :)

neusw

On the Ice
idk what it is with zhenya's jumps they always look good to me from far away but close up shots makes them look really small. i don't see way better jumps tho, some of them have looked borderline UR. but it seems like she's getting her consistency back so :)

It's because far away you can't see the large upper body torquing as easily. I've never thought her jumps were as bad or lacking height as people claimed--just that they were made to look worse than reality by the upper body movement.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
Well her 2a is definitely way better than before.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree from faraway, under rotations cannot be detected. I never though Evgenia's jumps were small except 2A before this season. But this seasons, the majority of jumps have that "saved" look, compensated by somewhat hunched upper body upon landing.