2019 World Championships Ladies Free Skate | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Ladies Free Skate

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Kihira wuzrobbed! Yes, I am saying it now - and I don't particularily like japanese skaters, btw. It's not because Kihira was that good - but because of Medvedeva's hugely overscoring on par with her Russian Cup Final national judging. It's very suspicious and I can't help but wonder was there some deal behind the scenes? They could easily just marked her flutz as having flat edge, for example (and they should knew in what precarious position Kihira was at that time) - and that would decide podium placements. They chose not to :rolleye:

Kissx3

Final Flight
This is kinda a random and crazy thought - but seems like Benoit may have bad karma or something since he tweeted negatively about Alysa winning US Nationals.

Bradie and Kaori haven’t been doing as well since - no podiums. Not sure who else he choreographed for.

To be fair I don't think many people were forecasting a podium for Bradie here. She's at a level where she could've been lighting it up just a few years ago, but now you need to be that good just to be in the top 10.

melgirl25

Medalist
Lol if you want to talk about the < calls we can also talk about how on earth she got 2.1 GOE for a flutz. But w/e, I'm happy to accept that the lenient judging balanced out for the most part and results are OK as is.

Rika is the only one of the top ladies here that has a true outside edge. The rest are flat or inside.

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
To be fair I don't think many people were forecasting a podium for Bradie here. She's at a level where she could've been lighting it up just a few years ago, but now you need to be that good just to be in the top 10.

I agree about Bradie. Though I think she could have possibly made the podium at 4CC.

But Kaori could have made the podium - certainly at 4CC and here as well.

Random thoughts - I’m sleep deprived:)

century2009

On the Ice
Raf handed her her guards and walked away and was visibly icy in the K&C. The camera didn't catch him saying a single word to her.

I think it's best for everyone if she switches coaches after this season. I largely expect it.

Raf is always cold. LOL. Bit he was professional.

Dont worry. Raf will probably let her go/fire her after this season.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Eh, I don't mind Rafael being stoic, frustrated, and just exasperated about the situation. He's essentially being blamed for being complicit or ignorant about the alleged bullying, when from his perspective, one of his students not only got injured, but then another student of his gets blamed for essentially assault, and then he has to do interviews about it and then be questioned by the ISU and USFSA and who knows what else.

Anyway, Rafael isn't the kind of person to hug, console, or praise anyone unless they were perfect on the ice. Rafael is the type of hard-to-please coach figure who's ready to critique every incorrect thing that his skaters do on the ice right after they get off the ice and he doesn't really dole out compliments unless they do extremely well. Being critical, of course, would have looked even worse to do at this point in time with Lim, so he chose not to say anything. Him being all huggy to Eunsoo would have maybe looked good on camera, but it would have reeked of being fake nice to me.

In my book, what would have been unprofessional is if he chose not to help Eunsoo get ready on the ice, but he left Mariah Bell in the K&C to get Eunsoo ready for her skate which came next.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Kihira wuzrobbed! Yes, I am saying it now - and I don't particularily like japanese skaters, btw. It's not because Kihira was that good - but because of Medvedeva's hugely overscoring on par with her Russian Cup Final national judging. It's very suspicios and I can't help but wonder was there some deal behind the scenes? They could easily just marked her flutz as having flat edge, for example - and that would decide podium placements. They chose not to :rolleye:

They didnt call Rika's second 3A UR. And they still called Zhenyas 2A which was the only call they made in top 10... So, i think placements are fair, even it would be OK the other way too.

icetug

Medalist
This is kinda a random and crazy thought - but seems like Benoit may have bad karma or something since he tweeted negatively about Alysa winning US Nationals.

Bradie and Kaori haven’t been doing as well since - no podiums. Not sure who else he choreographed for.

So now I can see why Deniss did so poorly at SP ;) He was the first skater Benoit made choreography for :laugh:

Kissx3

Final Flight
Anyway, Rafael isn't the kind of person to hug, console, or praise anyone unless they were perfect on the ice. Rafael is the type of hard-to-please coach figure who's ready to critique every incorrect thing that his skaters do on the ice right after they get off the ice and he doesn't really dole out compliments unless they do extremely well. That, of course, would have looked even worse to do at this point in time, so he chose not to say anything. Him being all huggy to Eunsoo would have maybe looked good on camera, but it would have reeked of being fake nice to me.

Yeah, not to edge too close to the rules here, but that man has never been known for smiles, hugs, words of encouragement. He tears into his skaters live on camera without a second thought more often than not. I really hope him not being warm, which is completely in character, is not the new social media drama.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
As someone who was kinda outraged that Liza missed out on going to Worlds

Evgenia proved she was worthy of the spot here!

No doubt that she will continue to work and improve.

Yes and i say this as someone who thought Liza deserved more given her season, but Evgenia gave her best at Worlds absolutely and she can build from here.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Kihira wuzrobbed! Yes, I am saying it now - and I don't particularily like japanese skaters, btw. It's not because Kihira was that good - but because of Medvedeva's hugely overscoring on par with her Russian Cup Final national judging. It's very suspicios and I can't help but wonder was there some deal behind the scenes? They could easily just marked her flutz as having flat edge, for example (and they should knew in what precarious position Kihira was at that time) - and that would decide podium placements. They chose not to :rolleye:

They chose not to punish a lot of skater's edges or rotation. Yet they called Med out on her 2A<
Sorry, no conspiracy. Kihira needs to get her SP consistent, she was off the podium because of her mistake not because of Zhenya.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Raf handed her her guards and walked away and was visibly icy in the K&C. The camera didn't catch him saying a single word to her.

I think it's best for everyone if she switches coaches after this season. I largely expect it.

I hope not, despite i've always thought Eun Soo should have worked with Orser following Yuna's steps: now it's hard to find another top coach who doesn't already have top athletes in ladies.

I'd try with Frank Carroll if he is not retired, or even Marina Zueva.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Yes and i say this as someone who thought Liza deserved more given her season, but Evgenia gave her best at Worlds absolutely and she can build from here.

This was a tough competition. It's hard to say, but I think Liza's PCS deficit would have hurt her here.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
As someone who was kinda outraged that Liza missed out on going to Worlds

Evgenia proved she was worthy of the spot here!

No doubt that she will continue to work and improve.

Yeah I have to agree. While I think a clean Liza would have beat Medvedeva I think Med more than proved herself. The I’m sad about Samoduova though. I don’t think she was done dirty but I am sad.

alinaharry

On the Ice
I kind of feel like there was no technical panel at all here.

I mean Evgenia got +2.1 on her inside edge lutz....(no edge call which was deserved)? Alina was almost 100% UR on her -3Lo in combo (haven't found a video with good enough quality to completely tell). Elizabet's 4S was UR. I also didn't see an edge calls or warnings for Kaori who has an inside edge lutz. I also think the GOE for the top 3 were way over the top. I think Rika without a doubt should have gotten the bronze because I think Evgenia's GOE was wayyyyyyy too high. I think Alina's GOE and PCS was high, but I agree that she should be the winner. I feel like when next season starts, there will be a huge wake up call to everyone from the technical panel and judges in terms of calls and GOE. Overall, I agree with all the placements except I'd have Rika third and Evgenia fourth.

leilaraj

On the Ice
Evgenia would be second if not for some eye raising judging imo

Not gonna say others were perfect as per judging, but her Axel could easily be downgraded and her flutz could have been called also, so yeah this UR is quite fair!

leilaraj

On the Ice
I have the same feeling, the technical panel is quite lenient in this competition, but I wouldn’t say there is obvious misjudging like it was shown in previous competitions

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Agree.

I don't understand why others were not handed a < and she was.

Lilbet I'd be okay with her 4S because it was very close and super impressive, but some other underrotations were just blatant and didn't get called.
What her jumps were UR'ed? I just rewatched all her jumps and couldn't find any URs- atleast blatant ones. If anything Lilbeth was hugely underscored IMO - all her very solid elements received very modest GOEs. Also she has one of the best speed and flow on the ice - which wasn't reflected in her PCS as well. I think judges tried to save Kihira in the end - but still weren't able to.

yude

Record Breaker
I literally screamed when Elizabet landed 4S, what an exciting moment it was!!

Congratulations to all medalists :clap: I am also proud of all Japanese skaters, they could not be on the podium but they dominated from 4th to 6th place and the scores were not bad at all. Great job :thumbsup: