2019 World Championships Ladies Free Skate | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2019 World Championships Ladies Free Skate

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Kihira wuzrobbed! Yes, I am saying it now - and I don't particularily like japanese skaters, btw. It's not because Kihira was that good - but because of Medvedeva's hugely overscoring on par with her Russian Cup Final national judging. It's very suspicious and I can't help but wonder was there some deal behind the scenes? They could easily just marked her flutz as having flat edge, for example (and they should knew in what precarious position Kihira was at that time) - and that would decide podium placements. They chose not to :rolleye:

Just throwing it out there but i find it funny that packed east european presence among the judges, that said it's also true all 3 japanese ladies left points both in the SP and the FS.

smythe

Rinkside
What her jumps were UR'ed? I just rewatched all her jumps and couldn't find any URs- atleast blatant ones. If anything Lilbeth was hugely underscored IMO - all her very solid elements received very modest GOEs. Also she has one of the best speed and flow on the ice - which wasn't reflected in her PCS as well. I think judges tried to save Kihira in the end - but still weren't able to.

Think the problem was Rika skated before Evgenia and Lilbet. I think if she skated after she probably would’ve gotten the bump. Hard to save someone and help them out with PCS and GOE and scoring if you don’t know what score you’re targeting.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I suppose we are watching different streams.
On my, Zhenya has a pokerface on, and only starts to smile when she sees the camera is doing a closeup on her.

Oy. Did you know she injured her hip before the SP and was in pain during both programs?

mikeko666

Final Flight
I thought the tech panel was lenient or even lazy. They didn't even try to review many iffy jumps as if they didn't want to spoil the party. Rule changes mean nothing if they aren't actually implemented.

EDIT: I'm watching it on Fuju TV, and their TES counter shows which elements are under review.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
What her jumps were UR'ed? I just rewatched all her jumps and couldn't find any URs- atleast blatant ones. If anything Lilbeth was hugely underscored IMO - all her very solid elements received very modest GOEs. Also she has one of the best speed and flow on the ice - which wasn't reflected in her PCS as well. I think judges tried to save Kihira in the end - but still weren't able to.

Blatant no, you can make a case for Rika as bronze medalist and to be fair scores are very close, i'd have not minded if this ended up being a tie and judges had to give both the medal.

Country
Norway
So I finally cathced up with the 2 last group :luv17:

First of all, congratz to Alina with finally getting the gold medal in WC. To be honest she isn´t my favourite, but the gold was well deserved. She is good, she is strong and showed today that she can take the pressure, so i´m impressed. When it comes to musicality and interpretation I have yet to be touched by her skating.... But maybe she will one day!

It was awesome seing Elizabet landing that quad salchow, that was great. The FS also had much power, she is also strong technical but also has some things to work with the program! Congratulations with an impressive silver!

Evgenias bronze is so impressive, who would have guessed it at the start of this season? She has proved to everyone that she deserved that spot now and she really did it when it counted the most. Evgenia is not done :) I´m so happy she got the spot!

I´m a bit sad about Kihira, less then one point from bronze and also her PCS seems to low, also comparing with what she got earlier this season it doesn´t seem right. I think actually she got disadvantage of not being in the last group. I was pretty sure she would medal after the first combo with the 3A. Too bad about the fall on the second.
But, she is young and she will get that gold once I´m sure. She should have a medal... But, she will fight back strong!

To be fair, even though with a more rightous PCS she would´t have gotten the gold today, but she could have gotten a silver or a bronze. But once she land the 3A in the short, and both 3A in the FS and get higher PCS she will fight for the gold.

I also have to say that Bradie Tennell and Satoko Miyaha impressed me today :)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw from the last part of Evgenia on (missed Rika). I was certainly disappointed that Rika didn't make the podium-- and by such a small amount. :( Alina deserved to win but I am underwhelmed by her skating. Her elements are good but beyond that, nothing (IMO). She could be skating to any music as far as her interpretation is concerned and her performance is--well, I didn't see it. Lilbet skated clean. Good for her, but I viewed her skating with the same level of enthusiasm (or lack thereof) as I viewed Alina's. Evgenia I will have to re-watch. The skater who did cause me to stand up and clap was Mariah Bell. Good thing the feed forgot to show her score (but I did hear 6th place at that time so I knew).

champagnerain

Final Flight
Y'all I'm just starting to watch some of the videos now (I didn't wake up in the middle of the night for this one), but did Evgenia get the podium over Rika because of an uncalled flutz? :sarcasm:

I actually like Evgenia as a skater, and I'm glad that getting a world medal will probably help her morale after a not-so-stellar season, but it really does a disservice to skaters with good technique not to call the mistakes of skaters with bad technique, and as always, Evgenia's 3Lz is a clear inside edge. :hopelessness:

WhiteProphet

On the Ice
Y'all I'm just starting to watch some of the videos now (I didn't wake up in the middle of the night for this one), but did Evgenia get the podium over Rika because of an uncalled flutz? :sarcasm:

I actually like Evgenia as a skater, and I'm glad that getting a world medal will probably help her morale after a not-so-stellar season, but it really does a disservice to skaters with good technique not to call the mistakes of skaters with bad technique, and as always, Evgenia's 3Lz is a clear inside edge. :hopelessness:

Do you remember when she said, at the beginning of the season, that she was not going to hide her Lutz anymore? Great job, really :biggrin:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I feel sad for Sakamoto, she only popped the flip and that was disastrous ... I would have liked her to have the silver. Very close result point wise ... I'm ok with the final result, although I really don't like Zagitova's FS, I'm glad that we'll never have to watch it again. But kudos! to her for delivering when it counted most again. What a competitor!

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I kind of feel like there was no technical panel at all here.

I mean Evgenia got +2.1 on her inside edge lutz....(no edge call which was deserved)? Alina was almost 100% UR on her -3Lo in combo (haven't found a video with good enough quality to completely tell). Elizabet's 4S was UR. I also didn't see an edge calls or warnings for Kaori who has an inside edge lutz. I also think the GOE for the top 3 were way over the top. I think Rika without a doubt should have gotten the bronze because I think Evgenia's GOE was wayyyyyyy too high. I think Alina's GOE and PCS was high, but I agree that she should be the winner. I feel like when next season starts, there will be a huge wake up call to everyone from the technical panel and judges in terms of calls and GOE. Overall, I agree with all the placements except I'd have Rika third and Evgenia fourth.

I am agree with all you said - except about 4S being UR. It wasn't. See for yourself (in slo-mo): https://youtu.be/JHB58ApmJ04?t=341
Also, Sofia Samodurova was clearly underscored. Comparing her to Bradie - while last had the edge in speed, confidence and has higher jumps - Sofia has more complex program full of transitions and very intricate artistic work interpretating her program. Throughout all skating and even between jumps - she never forgot to smile and make frivolous gestures between elements to make mood of her skate look very easy and light. It's much harder than straightforward Bradie's skating IMO and should be awarded properly in PCS.

Fluture

Record Breaker

Evgenia got on the podium because she performed better throughout two programs. The judges did not overscore her, she even got called on an UR, being one of the few to get that. The technical panel was very lenient and she wasn’t the only one not to get a warning on the 3Lz. Actually, many ladies have a flat edge or a flutz on the lutz nowadays. It‘s not that uncommon, in fact Rika is one of the few who even has a true lutz. But really, she made a huge mistake in the SP (even a 2A and she‘d have a silver now) and fell on her second 3A in the FS. I‘m very sad that her winning streak had to end here, too, and I would have liked to see her on the podium but this time, the result was fair and I‘m not saying this only as Zhenya‘s fan.

twirlingblades

Medalist
I was really rooting for Rika to win, but she needs to get her short program nerves under control- you can’t have an invalid element and win from behind at worlds. Plus the fall in the long. Less than a point different is brutal, but it is what it is.

Happy for Med! So glad to see her end the season on a strong note.

QUAD SAL!! What a season- Lizbet seemed to have come out of nowhere. Amazing!

Alina- very happy she didn’t meltdown again. I’m not a fan of her programs (I think they highlight her flaws instead of her strengths) but she deserved it here.

Sad for Kaori :( darn flip.

Wonky judging- very lenient tech panel, as with rhythm dance- but I think the outcome was more or less correct.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well it's Carmen and she's totally unconvincing as Carmen. I don't buy it for a nanosecond. Great tech though.

That's life in figure skating for ya.

Well at least she posed some fierceness. Less we forget mirai nagasu's Miss America Carmen from 2010 olympics.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
wow! This was amazing. Exhilerating. Exciting. Wonderful. Yet sad and poignant. Dramatic. Athletic. Artistic - to a point - because good or bad the tech focus does affect the storytelling and artistry. Grace. Power, Dynamic... Where to start (just finished work andsaw the key programs). First, my Japanese superstars do not feel bad. This was an amazing competition. Rika your 3As are there. Kaori so close. Satoko you still have it all grace, beauty and Michelle Kwan like jumps and consistency. Rika you continue bo build your artistry. Really a powerhousse. On another day you wouldhave swept the medals. Bradie Tenell at first I thought she might medal but who would have guessed the otherr girls woudl bring - really bring it. I had no idea ET would hold it together andhad no idea what shape Alina was in. And who wouldh ave thought Evgenia would even be here yet with great grit eek out a bronze! I honestly had some hope with ET though her skating skills seem a bit lacking - for all h er years around she seems a bit coltish - I wouldexpect a bit more extension, stronger edges and such (I know she is young but she has been skating for a while at a high level is what I meant). Alina has great nerve and competitiveness. Seh and Evgenia I honestly don't have any idea how they pulled off two medals forRussia. They are goddesses. Add to that great skates from Lim and Bell despite whatever is going on really great compettion reminiscent or reflective of almost ice dance - a great group of talented skaters. Who would have thought not one Japanese lady on the podium. Eteri must be thrilled she has the top 2 and heavily influenced the third. Well Eteri must be h appy her skaters beat Brian's. (then again Brian did influence ET. Gabby did not skate super well but a lot better than we expected. I wondered if she was in a similar shape like Gracie Gold was in Rusisia but it seems like she was able to give it a real shot. The irony is the gold and bronze medallists were like 5th and 7th or whatever at their Nationals and there is a decent chance they won't make it out of Russia next year.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I've managed to view a few programs as I was too groggy last night to keep watching after the SD. I am happy Evgenia got a medal. She fully deserves this. Her Tosca SP was for me the highlight of the competition. And She followed with Piazzolla's Libertango! That was another beauty. And though in the 2 programs she got 2 URs I still consider she had two very good programs. I am also happy Alina kept her nerves in check and did a perfect program. I love her Carmen and like in previous programs, she manages to jump right on the music accents. That is amazing. Elizabet improvement got her a silver medal. I really enjoyed the medal ceremony as all 3 on the podium were really happy. By checking the protocols, this must have been quite a more than good competition. My question is about Samodurova. She is 8th with 2 very good programs. And judges were so lenient. The have only seen Medvedeeva's ur 2A, but no UR for Miahara or others.

jgubs

Spectator
I didn't see them compete as I had no access to internet at the time, but all I care about is seeing the reaction of Elizabet's mother!