2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 104 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Payako

Rinkside
Okay

I did not say nastya is better than alena.It's subject things that we cannot say who is better.But SS is rather objective thing.Nastya's edge controlling ,smooth flow(edges steps turns etc) and elegant upperbody with jazz music which is well-known difficult to skate like tango.That's why i think nastys has better SS

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
If I read the translation of polinas interveiw right I get the impression that it had always been more her parents that wanted her to do ice skating than she herself.

Claudalie

Rinkside
People are really naive if they think that Alina chose anything.
So, it is clear that those choices werent Alina's. Probably they let people think that Alina chose Carmen because at that moment Orser commented that in Eteri's camp skaters dont have a word to say in choosintg the programs

It's 50-50 in that camp, i.e. the skater choosing music for a program sometimes and sometimes the coach and choreographer doing it. It's not a Nazi camp:)

Payako

Rinkside

I'm sorry but that dig was unnecessary.
Anastasia doesn't have anything near to a textbook technique either and prerotates her toe jumps in the exact same way.
The artistry is subjective.

We may argue whether or not she was underscored in her short at FCR, she still didn't skate her long cleanly, so there's not much to talk about there.
Anastasia's problem this season was skating clean, she wasn't landing her jumps when she needed to so she really only has herself to blame.
She was given JPG assignment last year and she placed 4th, so she lost her chance there.
Her chance this year was Tallin trophy, which she needed to win, or at least score near 200 and she didn't.

Sakhanovich used her chance and got 200+ and a gold, Gubanova didn't.
I might agree about Stanislava being not any better than Gubanova, Sofia IS better, simply because she doesn't fall.
She made it into JGPF last year (something Gubanova couldn't do) and GPF this year and that's quite an achievement.

Between Sofia and Gubanova,there's huge difference.Not only jumping elements but also SS.Gubanova should be winning over her even she fell twice.you all are saying bad things about Gubanova.I will tell you what you missed
First she had an injury with boots problem from the very begining of season.That's why she was not able to compete jgp.
Second she made season best within 24 in zagreb
Third nastyaa also made jgpf and silver.I remember Sofia was sixth.If she went to Jworlds over konstantinova, there would be more medals.
There 's more I can point out .But as I am new to here today, and confusing that how to reply hmm i stop

SkateSkates

Medalist
I would like to join in the Gubanova appreciation. I really hope she will be submitted by RusFed for a GP. She is now confirmed Buyanova no.1 with Polina retiring, so hopefully she can work her political will to ensure Nastya is submitted. I assume she is on the reserve national team due to her placement at nationals. Hopefully the official team will be published soon.

She is one of my favorite Russian ladies (along with Alena K x2, Sinitsyna, Anna etc - it’s so hard to choose) and I think we can compliment her without dragging down any other skaters. All of these wonderful ladies are talented in their own right and each has unique qualities that make them special.

Reddi

Rinkside
People are really naive if they think that Alina chose anything. No, she didnt choose Carmen.
Carmen was Daniil's idea for her (either he was inspired by posters on Instagram is a matter of discuss).
Eteri confimed that. In an interview, she said that it was Daniil's dream that Alina skated on Carmen. And she said to Alina if she doesnt like what she sees she wont let her to skate on Carmen.
So, it is clear that those choices werent Alina's. Probably they let people think that Alina chose Carmen because at that moment Orser commented that in Eteri's camp skaters dont have a word to say in choosintg the programs

Alina said that she asked for a Carmen program in her first senior season. Verbatim. She was deemed being not mature enough by Eteri. I'm pretty sure that when a skater says "I want to skate to Carmen" it usually means she really wants to skate to Carmen. Hey, maybe skater and choreographer can want to make a Carmen program s-s-simultaneously:shocked: A Carmen of all the characters! A skating's forgotten cousin. What are the odds, huh?

Okay. Now on a serious note: using an incredibly dubious logic and creating false equivalences to push a point that has been directly rebutted by the first-party on multiple occasions is called spreading misinformation. That is, to put it mildly, although other words would fit the situation better...:disapp:

lappo

Final Flight
Alina said that she asked for a Carmen program in her first senior season. Verbatim. She was deemed being not mature enough by Eteri. I'm pretty sure that when a skater says "I want to skate to Carmen" it usually means she really wants to skate to Carmen. Hey, maybe skater and choreographer can want to make a Carmen program s-s-simultaneously:shocked: A Carmen of all the characters! A skating's forgotten cousin. What are the odds, huh?

Okay. Now on a serious note: using an incredibly dubious logic and creating false equivalences to push a point that has been directly rebutted by the first-party on multiple occasions is called spreading misinformation. That is, to put it mildly, although other words would fit the situation better...:disapp:

Here Alina's interview about the choice of Carmen: https://isu.org/figure-skating/figu...tova-i-didn-t-get-star-fever?templateParam=15

Q: How close do you feel to that character (i.e. Carmen)?

A: At first, I didn’t know yet what I will skate to, Eteri Georgievna just told me that it will be very interesting and that this music suits me. That was the only thing I knew. Then I learned that it was Carmen. I wanted to use that music for a long time, already last season, but I was not an experienced and grown up athlete enough for this character. This season my coaches felt that I can interpret this character, because I have grown up. I feel that, too, that I am more grown up. Half a year has passed since the Olympics and a lot has changed. But I don’t want anyone to think that I got bigheaded or got star fever. That didn’t happen. I try to be just calm and a normal person.

Scott512

Record Breaker
First thank you for warm welcome.
I do not agree with embarassment of riches for treating gubanova like that.Konstantinova is not that amzaing skater and she skated bad in junior national.But favorism sent her jworlds.what i feel so bad is they did terrible things to her.she was such a little girl.There's no reason for such little girl has suffered these.what makes me sad was her crying(junior national FS).that was heartbreaking.Figure skating is a sports.As I'm a fan of sports.I just wanted fairness and sportsmanship.Am i being too hopeful?

Are you being too hopeful? Unfortunately yes.

Nastya won silver at JPG final in 2016. Didn't she make jumio worlds team? No matter what happened she is 16 and can still get better. Much better. She has to. I hope Buyanova can help Nastya but I don't know if this coach still has it. We will see.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am, as most are, disappointed to hear of Tsurskaya's retirement, if only for the fact that I'll miss her unique presence and ability. I'm happy for her that she made a decision that, while difficult, feels right for her.

I was pleased to hear in her interview that Eteri encourages her students to visit the theater and take in cultural experiences. I've always gotten the impression that the arts are much more highly valued in Russia than here in the US, so I suppose it just makes me happy to know that they're getting to take those things in.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
How bad is the injury? Dasha can still skate juniors if she gets fit. Who has her now? CSKA?
No clue on all fronts. I know she was in a boot for a while because of her foot problem but she seems to be recovered. I'm just not sure that she's training. As far as I know she's still with Tsareva.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I am dying to find out what Alina skates to this season!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully she takes a break from red long program costumes, lol.

I’m also dying to find out what music Sofia decides on. Another sassy number? Or a different route entirely? And will she really go for the triple axel???😮

Scott512

Record Breaker
I would like to join in the Gubanova appreciation. I really hope she will be submitted by RusFed for a GP. She is now confirmed Buyanova no.1 with Polina retiring, so hopefully she can work her political will to ensure Nastya is submitted. I assume she is on the reserve national team due to her placement at nationals. Hopefully the official team will be published soon.

She is one of my favorite Russian ladies (along with Alena K x2, Sinitsyna, Anna etc - it’s so hard to choose) and I think we can compliment her without dragging down any other skaters. All of these wonderful ladies are talented in their own right and each has unique qualities that make them special.

Well said. Good points. Especially about complimenting skaters without dragging others down. But that's not as easy as it sounds here. ;)

Russian ladies thread has been rocking lately. Great passion.

moriel

Record Breaker
While i think Gubanova is very talented, i think that she failed to live up to her potential. Nobody's fault, really, but well...
Right now, you can't do with unstable jumps.
And unfortunately, Buyanova not the one who will fix it. I mean, we all remember when she complained judges were nitpicking when they called URs.

And while those things go, other skaters progress and move to seniors.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While i think Gubanova is very talented, i think that she failed to live up to her potential. Nobody's fault, really, but well...
And unfortunately, Buyanova not the one who will fix it. I mean, we all remember when she complained judges were nitpicking when they called URs.

The girl deserves a shot on the Senior GP. She’s been given awful scores at RN for very clean performances and completely passed over for international assignments she’s done more than enough to deserve while on JGP.

If she crashes and burns so be it but she deserves at least one Senior GP opportunity IMO.

Also...I think when she was at her best some of the lack of opportunity combined with arguably being underscored at home has contributed to her lack her momentum.

Happy Skates

Final Flight

I don't think she exactly failed to live up to her potential, her season this year really wasn't that bad, and her placements didn't exactly reflect her performances imo. She got second at a challenger and is in the top 24 seasons best list out of everyone, even while only having two international assignments (ahead of well-regarded skaters including Konstantinova). She also imo was very underscored at RusNats, and her placement did not reflect her performance. She had one fall on a double axel, and did everything else perfectly, including repeating two lutzes and flips in the fp with a gorgeous lutz-loop combo, and performances to rival the best (she absolutely should have been ahead of Konstantinova and Samodurova, again, in my opinion). Then again at RCF she had one fall on a 3F, really not that big of a mistake in the grand scheme of things. So sure she's not the most consistent person in the world, but she was delivering a high level of tech content and wasn't exactly inconsistent. And if the world were fair she would've been sent to junior worlds last year and been given a second chance to get on the SB list for this year, and then gotten GPs instead of someone else from Russia. One bad JGP shouldn't ruin your career, and in other countries it wouldn't.

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia
What was striking about that performance was that she was able to maintain that unusual 5/4 tempo signature throughout, even the drum solo. (And to a better arrangement than Patrick Chan in 2011).

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Oh, Yes! Skating gives the impression of lightness and frivolity. I really enjoyed it :luv17:

MMisMis

On the Ice
Country
Russia
What was striking about that performance was that she was able to maintain that unusual 5/4 tempo signature throughout, even the drum solo. (And to a better arrangement than Patrick Chan in 2011).

:clap: :clap: :clap:

By the way. On video about 2-49 couple of seconds in sight as dancing coaches. Looks like they all do. :yay: